Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 14:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

I picked up a puncture on my City's right rear tyre a couple of years ago and the spot is just where the sidewall ends and the tread begins. I got it fixed and it lasted a few months before it gave way completely. I got it fixed again but over the last 4 months I started noticing a pressure drop of about 15psi in 20 days. I got it checked and the old puncture had started leaking again. This time the tyrewalah put a patch inside and told me it should be fine. The next day I made a mumbai-pune-mumbai trip which was uneventful. However, all through the trip the only thing on my mind was the tyre and what if it gave way at 120kmph. A few days later the tyre went flat again.

The tyrewalah tells me that I should get it tubed. I'm thinking that if I have to do that then I will exchange that tyre with the spare (non alloy) and use it as a spare tyre. Do you guys think that I can get that puncture fixed without tubing it? I would hate to tube a tubeless tyre. Like I said earlier the puncture is right where the sidewall ends and the tread begins.
Old 24th January 2013, 22:19   #77
BHPian

I was totally unaware of this danger till I chanced upon this thread today. I have a sidewall puncture .

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-image1048177153.jpg

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-image3266681197.jpg

It is there for the last 3-4 months. I must have done atleast 3-4000kms on this tyre. The puncture was due to a iron nail. The puncture guy repaired it the usual way, inserting those strips, but did not cut the excess strips. He only said to observe for pressure loss in the first two days. I have not had any problems though both in the city or highway, recently had even driven at 100-120kmph speeds.

After seeing this thread, I have changed this tyre with the spare.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 24th January 2013 at 22:21.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:49   #78
BHPian

My tyre too has a puncture in the exact same spot and has a bit of the repair strip sticking out just like in the picture above. Should i tube it and use it as a spare?
Old 27th January 2013, 11:40   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
My tyre too has a puncture in the exact same spot and has a bit of the repair strip sticking out just like in the picture above. Should i tube it and use it as a spare?
I would scrap it as soon as possible.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2013, 22:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Got mine fixed and put into the boot as spare. Repair cost was Rs. 80.
Old 8th April 2013, 18:44   #81
BHPian

I need advise:
On my Ritz VXI, I have Bridgestone (165/80 R14), around 7100 KM:

Incident 1:
Sometime in Dec. 2012 while parking my car, a broken glass bottle pierced through the left-rear tire. The tyre wall was visibly damaged:
Solution: The tubeless tyre was tubbed and has been resting in the boot ever since. (I hated that thing, but was a quick fix, so living with it).

Incident 2:
Last Friday, I went for checking tyre pressure, found out that, the front-right tyre was letting out air (air pressure detected was 20psi), after repeated attempts to fill air, the road-side tyrewalla checked for punctures.
[Hold your breath]
Total 12 punctures (mostly in the shoulder areas)and also the valve was leaking air (changed the valve to an original Bridgestone valve)(I guess, I was driving around with a punctured tyre for god knows how many Kms).
Total negotiated cost of repair was 1300/-.

Checked the tyre pressure today morning again, no drop is air pressure of any tyres.

Can I live with the current setup for a couple of months more (I rarely take the Car on highways, weekly running would not be even 100 km and mainly in rush hour traffic)

Also, I really want to upgrade to 185/70 R 14 (The standard tyre size for the ZXI/ZDI), so I am not willing to change one tyre at a time.
Old 13th May 2013, 17:35   #82
BHPian

Update: Changed the two damaged tires with the same Bridgestone (165/80 R14) spent 7200/- for 2 tires + wheel alignment.

Thank you Sgiitk sir, you really opened my eyes!
Old 14th May 2013, 10:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

How bad is this puncture.. Due to urgency got the same repaired at a road side tyre repair shop. He insert the black colored plugs. The air leak was detected when he ran the soap water. I wonder if this tyre is good enough for long trips or not. e.g Rohtang etc
Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-conticrosscontactat.jpg  

Old 14th May 2013, 11:54   #84
BHPian

Was deliberately pushed to the side of the road by a Volvo, just in front of MacDonald's and opposite the Kalyani Motors, on the Brookefield road, wherein the left front went into pothole. felt nothing till stopped to see it flatten out. Changed it with the spare and got it repaired with the black repair strip (3 months back). last week drove to Hyderabad & back sometimes touching 140-back at Bangalore and yesterday this tyre gave up its ghost and discovered longitudinal cuts on the sidewalls-any idea why??
Drove straight to Maruti showroom and they advised that the tyre needs to be replaced. Maruti rates are 400-500 more then that from the shops?? Changed and now piece of mind.
Old 14th May 2013, 19:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
How bad is this puncture.. Due to urgency got the same repaired at a road side tyre repair shop. He insert the black colored plugs. The air leak was detected when he ran the soap water. I wonder if this tyre is good enough for long trips or not. e.g Rohtang etc
Please advise.
Please refer to this link for the picture for more reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3122041
Old 9th May 2015, 19:35   #86
BHPian

I got a sidewall puncture on the front right side tyre of my Spark LS. It was on the same spot as shown in #Deep Blue's pic
Got the tyre repaired in old city Bhadurpura, HYD
Repair cost was 400/-
They apply a double patch ( inside & outside ) , compress the seal with a heat process.
Though the work appeared fine, I noticed there was a low tyre pressure , when compared to other 3 .
Got the tyre tubed !
Its been more than a year now.
I also make sure to check & fill air at regular intervals , during fuel refills.
Old 6th October 2015, 19:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
I too...[/Snip]wheel (which is a unused one)?
I have the same pin hole leak at the exact same place in the tyre which has just run eighty eight kilometers. When I pour water over the hole, a bubble forms every 2-3 seconds and the tyre loses 1-3 psi daily. Can this puncture be repaired(from the inside) and can this be used for daily driving?
Old 25th October 2015, 17:50   #88
BHPian

Was driving out of the new VR Bengaluru mall and after parking fee booth suddenly the left front tyre made a big sound. Pulled over and saw the tyre was punctured. After replacing went to the puncture shop and he says that it will cost 2.5K - 3K for repair and I should go for a new tyre. He showed me a cut in the tyre and reading here it looks it is a sidewall damage. I just brushed against the curb at the parking fee booth. I am shocked that this can cause sidewall damage. WIll this be covered under Warranty?

Last edited by rohanak1 : 25th October 2015 at 17:58. Reason: Required warranty info
Old 29th October 2015, 15:29   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
I have the same pin hole leak at the exact same place in the tyre which has just run eighty eight kilometers. When I pour water over the hole, a bubble forms every 2-3 seconds and the tyre loses 1-3 psi daily. Can this puncture be repaired(from the inside) and can this be used for daily driving?
Can you post a picture of the pin hole?
Old 6th November 2015, 11:50   #90
BHPian

I got the pressure in my tires checked today and a minor puncture was found in the front right tire near the sidewall area. Please have a look at the photographs and see whether this repair job is safe or the tire needs to be scrapped. This is a new tyre used for 8000kms only.

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20151106_113950.jpg

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20151106_113948.jpg

Last edited by bullrun87 : 6th November 2015 at 11:57.

Most Viewed