Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 19:37   #106
BHPian

Re: Sidewall puncture on all tubeless tyres (new)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
Story: I was out of station for two days and my car was parked at home. In my absence my 5 years old son got hold of soft board pins/push pins while playing and he pushed those pins into side walls of my Tata Nano's 4 tubeless tyres. I had replaced all the tyres to new ones recently (hardly 2000 km done)

Action taken: I immediately removed one of the flat tyres and took it to the tyre shop to checked the damage and found that there were 4 punctures at different locations in that tyre. I am sure all other tyres have been damaged equally. I was advised to replace all the tyres or use tubes of Maruti 800 (12 inch) since tubes for Nano's tyres are not manufactured.

My Question: Is it advisable to use Maruti 800's tube? I am personally not in favour for using tubes inside the tyres but the tyres are new so I am not sure what has to be done. I normally go for long distance inter city drives in my Nano as its very reliable car. I have attached picture of the pins used. Thanks!
Hi Zaheer, please see if there is any tyre retreading center around your place; ask them to do a patch on the tyre from within. Normally, they have to do a end-to-end patch to ensure you don't have any asymmetry. Just ask them what kind of press they do in their center. I too had a sidewall puncture in a moderately used tyre in my yeti and did not want to change the tyre as it still had about 25k mileage on it. So, I went and got a hot-press patch on the tyre which worked well and the tyre lasted its life. You can PM me if you need more information on this. Hope this information helps.
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 18:26   #107
BHPian

Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Y
Sidewall puncture = discard the tyre
Shoulder puncture = fix it with hot patch and keep it as spare (Replace tyre should be safer option)
Cheers!
I am in a fix as I have a tyre with puncture in shoulder and the spare wheel (non-alloy) was never used before.
Should I replace all the 4 tyres just because of 1 sidewall puncture.
Is it safe bet to drive with 3 used tyre and 1 new tyre?
Old 26th April 2018, 19:33   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsithan View Post
I am in a fix as I have a tyre with puncture in shoulder and the spare wheel (non-alloy) was never used before.
I had shoulder puncture and the usual plug from outside did not work. But I got hot patch done and there was no leak in 2000 KM. I would advice to fix it with hot patch and keep it as spare.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 11:49   #109
BHPian

I discovered a small puncture on the shoulder of my Fortuner’s 3 month old Michelin LTX Pro AT tyres. The tyres have done around 8500kms till date and the cut is very small. Tyre pressure is dropping by 1psi every one hour.

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-008224714b3a4b86b4aba5eb7931852b.jpeg

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-c41d23e7423a47c5b9c91911e4dbdb8f.jpeg

What is the best way to go about this? The cut seems too small to get hot patch pressing done and I personally don’t prefer it as I’ll have to use the tyre strictly as a spare then. I had gotten a glue tyre patch on the inside of the tyre a few years ago on my Santro. Is that a good idea since the cut is minute?

My usage is 90% highway driving.
Old 10th July 2018, 16:57   #110
BHPian

Bridgestone potenza RE88 has a damaged sidewall (back tyre) and needs replacement. Tyres are 8-9 months old and have done around 22k and remaining 3 look alright. No more RE88 in production. Dealer recommended B290 which has a different tread pattern. Rest of the specifications are same.

Any idea what I should do? Replacement of all is probably ideal, though costly.

Please suggest.
Old 14th July 2018, 11:43   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Bridgestone potenza RE88 has a damaged sidewall (back tyre) and needs replacement. Tyres are 8-9 months old and have done around 22k and remaining 3 look alright. No more RE88 in production. Dealer recommended B290 which has a different tread pattern. Rest of the specifications are same.

Any idea what I should do? Replacement of all is probably ideal, though costly.

Please suggest.
Hi stringbh, try a patch as explained in my earlier post, just look up this thread on this page, behind few posts dated April 12, and you will see that there is a chance your tire can be salvaged. Go to a good retreading center in your city and show him the tire and there is a good chance you can run the tire. Cheers
Old 15th July 2018, 15:01   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
2). The brand new tyre will have ZERO wear. The other three tyres will have only abt 50% of the tread left. If you combine one brand new tyre and one worn out tyre at the front, you will have major pulling problems. Your car will not go dead straight. If you use it atr the back, it wont cause major problems. I dont think it will cause ANY problems actually.
Sorry to bump up such an old post of yours, but I needed a clarification and the rest of the thread doesn't go into this aspect again.
I have clearly understood that sidewall cut = replace tyre. No qualifiers. And that is what I shall do whenever that happens for me.

However, coming to the point above, where we have one new tyre and 3 others with a reduced lifespan left, does your recommendation of switching the wheel without wear to the back apply to all vehicles? Or is it just got FWD vehicles?
If it is a matter of steering only, I suppose that'd be fine, but you specifically mention "pulling problems". Which got me thinking that it might not apply as is to RWD or 4WD vehicles. Is that the case?

If not, brilliant. You've already told us what to do.
If it is, what do you suggest for a 4WD which has to have a single tyre replaced prematurely?

Thanks!
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 17:07   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Sorry to bump up such an old post of yours, but I needed a clarification and the rest of the thread doesn't go into this aspect again.
I have clearly understood that sidewall cut = replace tyre. No qualifiers. And that is what I shall do whenever that happens for me.

However, coming to the point above, where we have one new tyre and 3 others with a reduced lifespan left, does your recommendation of switching the wheel without wear to the back apply to all vehicles? Or is it just got FWD vehicles?
If it is a matter of steering only, I suppose that'd be fine, but you specifically mention "pulling problems". Which got me thinking that it might not apply as is to RWD or 4WD vehicles. Is that the case?

If not, brilliant. You've already told us what to do.
If it is, what do you suggest for a 4WD which has to have a single tyre replaced prematurely?

Thanks!
I would always put the uneven pair of tyres always at the rear of the car to prevent pulling issues.

The driven wheels are not a matter of concern in this matter.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 19:08   #114
BHPian

My best friend's dad just faced an issue with his Michelin 3ST Tyres on his Skoda Laura. Quite a disappointing experience and actually makes me rethink my decision of having gone for Michelin myself. So far my PS4s haven't given on even after close to 20k of driving but having a Tyres burst after just 1300 kms is just shocking. Any ideas what can be done? So far no resolution. Hope that it's not just money down the drain and is surprising considering the premium we pay for their Tyres. If someone could take a look at the post below and suggest ways we could get a replacement or share the same to get Michelin attention, it would be great. Thanks in advance.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00610143310376
Old 24th July 2018, 19:24   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
My best friend's dad just faced an issue with his Michelin 3ST Tyres on his Skoda Laura. Quite a disappointing experience and actually makes me rethink my decision of having gone for Michelin myself. So far my PS4s haven't given on even after close to 20k of driving but having a Tyres burst after just 1300 kms is just shocking. Any ideas what can be done? So far no resolution.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00610143310376
Even the best aka most expensive tyres will burst if you are doing good speeds with low pressure. As the tyre heats up considerably, the risk of tyre burst is certain.
Old 24th January 2019, 19:47   #116
BHPian

Found a small crack on the sidewall of my Ecosport's one year old tire (Goodyear assurance 205/60/R16). It has done only 13.5km. The crack is not more than 2mm deep. I remember getting onto a small stone in approx 60km speed while giving way to a truck in a two way road. Any way to repair this? Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20190121_082818231_hdr4.jpg  

Old 24th January 2019, 19:54   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Found a small crack on the sidewall of my Ecosport's one year old tire (Goodyear assurance 205/60/R16). It has done only 13.5km. The crack is not more than 2mm deep. I remember getting onto a small stone in approx 60km speed while giving way to a truck in a two way road. Any way to repair this? Any thoughts?
It looks too minor for you to worry. Unless there is leakage of air, just leave it alone but periodically keep an eye on it.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:05   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
It looks too minor for you to worry. Unless there is leakage of air, just leave it alone but periodically keep an eye on it.
There's no air loss. Now, using as spare. But a bit a skeptical about long drives.
Old 29th January 2019, 19:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

A colleague's Xylo lost a tyre as the front left hit the sharp edges of a cow guard. We surmised that the tyre must have been running on low pressure in the first place and the hit was the final trigger. Upon inspecting the rest of the tyres, came across another contender waiting to burst open anytime!

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20190129_193208.jpg

Closer View

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20190129_193137.jpg

When enquired, we were told that this too was necessitated because of a stone hit and the puncture wallah has assured that this repair job will last for a long time without affecting the tyre .
Old 5th February 2019, 11:48   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Hi Ajishanand, you can get a patch done on the tire before the crack reduces the overall integrity. These cracks can widen over time and usage and especially if you are traveling on bad roads or even during long journeys. You can ask a retreading center for a cold patch and it should keep the life of the tire intact. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks