Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 23:43   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I may as well go with 195/60/14 with nice alloys. Speedo error toh error ya. And if the ground clearance changes by 4mm, does that really change the car, or (as I am beginning to suspect) is Samurai San a stickler for perfection?
Well, nothing like that... Alright, with 195/60R14 your sidewall depth reduced by 5% (affects ride comfort) and ground clearance by 5.5mm closing in on NHC territory. Just be aware of that.

As vid says, I do have 195/60R14 on my car, that's because it is the best upgrade for the Baleno.
Old 8th January 2007, 00:06   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

OK buss. I am buying Yokohama ES100 195/60/14 for my verna. Now the next post will be pictures.
Old 29th January 2007, 17:33   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear All,

There has been much confusion about the tyres I intended to put on my new verna. This is mostly due to my spontaneous and wavering mind. I apologise for the same and promise never to change.

As some of you know, I did not want to put alloy wheels, as this is my secondary ride and a company car to boot.

That fixed, my choices were solely to go for a 185 sized tyre, as anything above that would need a wheel replacement.

Initially I then decided to replace nothing. Drive stock. Stock meant 175/70/14 MRF ZVTS. I was told by those that knew more than I, that though a strong tyre, this tyre was hard, not very grippy.

As the verna is a heavy car, I realise that I may need to brake in a hurry sometime and the MRF may cause some momentum slide, due to the lesser grip and harder compound.

Therefore, solely for safety reasons, I decided to change the tyres.

The orginal profile was 122.5mm. A 185/60 would give me 111mm, causing speedo error and more importantly, affecting my ride comfort.

Therefore I had to buy a 185/65/14. This would give me a profile of 120.25. As someone rightly pointed out, Yokohama ES100 is not available in this size...only 185/60 or 195/60/14

Therefore I have decided to drop the ES100. Besides the ES100 is a performace oriented driver's tyre and the Verna is going to be driven by my driver. Therefore comfort, safety and low noise is of greater significance to me, than performance.

Here is the Yokohama chart explaining the various tyre models

The Yokohama C. Drive is a new entrant that is available in 185/65/14 and came highly recommended by my friend, who owns the tyre shop. He has assured me of ride comfort and low noise with a money back guarantee.
I took it to Robin and N_C on the telephone and have gone ahead with the purchase.
As you can see from the above chart, the Yokohama C.drive is a slightly premium tyre, less sporty than the AVS ES100 but with greater comfort

I have got a rip roaring deal, I have paid very very little indeed for 5 tyres. They are lovely to look at and in my short drive, appeared very nice handling. I've been promised by my friend that they are MORE comfortable than ES100s and silent too.
Besides, they came in the size I wanted.

It seems that I am apparently one of the first few to get this tyre. Will post a review very soon on this thread. But let me tell you that the tyres are already on, the cosmetic look is wonderful and first drive has made the car well, softer and smoother on the landing. Mentally, I feel safer too.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 29th January 2007 at 17:36.
Old 29th January 2007, 17:38   #94
Team-BHP Support

Good on ya Sam. I'm sure these tyres are far better than the outgoing MRF's.

Quote:
Mentally, I feel safer too.
That makes a big difference!

Now...where are those keys?
Old 29th January 2007, 17:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

good comfortable tyre size. here's wishing you a cool & comfy ride. cheers
Old 29th January 2007, 17:52   #96
Team-BHP Support

Sam post pics of the new car. Which car did you finally call to the airport?
Old 29th January 2007, 18:34   #97
elf
BANNED

Congrachewlayshuns Sammy boy! On both the tyres & the gaddi.

Nice to see somebody actually evaluating their requirements & going in for the sensible option - if you left it to half the lunatics on this forum (yours truly included), you'd be doing Lamington Road-Bandra runs in 7 minutes flat (yours truly again) on racing slicks with a co-pilot screaming out navigation into an in-car two-way radio. Oops, that's the Blind Rally...

Keys?
Old 29th January 2007, 18:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sam that's a good choice of tyre!! Hopefully you'll post some pictures & driving experience soon. Enjoy the new car!
Old 29th January 2007, 18:46   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sam post pics of the new car. Which car did you finally call to the airport?
Just finishing the sun film. LLumar for those interested. Will post pictures tomorrow.
I called for the verna. I had no choice as the Lancer was not ready, the engine was being cleaned.
Old 30th January 2007, 10:39   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

First Drive Impressions

Last night met up with N_C and kartik (dippy's bro) and we went for a drive. It was a comparo for me, as in the morning I'd driven for an hour and a half on the MRFs.
Maybe it was a mental thing, but the car seemed to be handling better with the Yokohamas. One thing is for sure. the MRF tyres looked well, ugly from the side.
I like the tread of the tyre to appear over the side wall, in a nice curvaceous manner. Somehow, aesthetically, the MRF was displeasing. This looks way cooler.

Then N-C drove and complained that the car was bouncy. We had a little argument. The car's manual says to inflate all tyres to 32 when half loaded and 33 when fully loaded. N_C said that's too much air.

FLASHBACK: I had gone to the pump opposite bhatia hospital to check the tyre pressure earlier on my way back home from work.
The tyre-filler-with-air man had had some trouble filling up when he was at the rear right tyre, the numbers werent moving and so he had to reset his tyre-filler-with-air machine thingy.

BACK TO THE PRESENT: After arguing lots, N-Crazy drove into the pump at umm... chembur side and we went to the tyre-filler-with-air machine and he asked the tyre-filler-with-air guy (god bless him) to make all the tyres 28.
Guess what we find eeh?

L rear: 27
Lfront: 30
Rfront: 32

And I hope you are all sitting down for this one

R Rear: 44

Anyways, now we are running 28 all around. We left the pump. Everyone was pleased except the tyre-filler-with-air man. We had no change to give him. N-C was trying about giving him a 100 note, but we had to request him not to. Nice guy that Normally_crazy.

Leaving the petrol pump, guided by the beams of glaring hatred from a young tyre-filler-with-air man, we found the car to be not bouncy anymore, especially the rear right lol.
It's a nice comfortable soft tyre. So far so good. Next review at 500 kms.

Moral of the story: Keep change in the car for the tyre-filler-with-air guy. And the Lion says Haoo.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th January 2007 at 10:41.
Old 30th January 2007, 12:33   #101
Team-BHP Support

LOL!! what an amazing story. So are they 185/65-14? hows the grip levels? Sam pics of the tyres not the nuts just the tyres and how they look on the car. :-)
Old 30th January 2007, 12:39   #102
elf
BANNED

I've found that Sardarjee friends often superoverinflate the brand new tyres one buys from them, & then they tell you to check the pressure 2 days later.

I've had initial bouncy rock-hard drives home on all the tyres purchased from aforementioned Sardarjee.

Wonder why they do this...
Old 30th January 2007, 12:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moral of the story: Keep change in the car for the tyre-filler-with-air guy. And the Lion says Haoo.
happened to me a few times. you realise that the least currency you have is the 50. So i try to give a pat on his back & a broad smile & let him know that he will be taken care of next time.
Old 30th January 2007, 13:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the Lion says Haoo.

Yes the ride was much better after adjusting the pressure. BTW Sam I suggest you stick to one particular place to check air pressure. Helps in the long run. Choose the one where you feel comfortable with the ride after the check.
Old 30th January 2007, 15:37   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sam pics of the tyres not the nuts just the tyres and how they look on the car. :-)

Here's the car after the lovely LLumar sunfilm.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th January 2007 at 15:39.

Most Viewed