Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 00:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
oops... is this correct.. i just upgraded my stock accent tyres (5j) to 195/60R13...
this seems to be sticking on well... did a journey to kerala from blore... ~600 Km...no problems noticed so far!!
Yes, that is why we recommend members use the tyre size calculators. It is a sticky under this section.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Search for An ideal rim-width calculator in the above article.
Old 11th December 2006, 00:44   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
As for the tyres, you could try out the Yoko AVS Sports too
i don't think you get avs sport tyres for wheels less than 15"

manson.
Old 11th December 2006, 01:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, that is why we recommend members use the tyre size calculators. It is a sticky under this section.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Search for An ideal rim-width calculator in the above article.
did go thru the same...
Quote:
A rim that is too narrow in relation to the tyre width will allow the tyre to distort excessively sideways under fast cornering.
what does this mean? what effect its going to have it on my tyre?
Old 11th December 2006, 09:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

If it is going to be 195, then you could consider the Michelin Pilot Precidas over the Energy XM1s. They look a lot more sporty, a little expensive, but worth it.
Old 11th December 2006, 13:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
did go thru the same...

Dont think it will effect the tyre much but under fast cornering the steering n braking wont be as predictable so better be careful
Old 11th December 2006, 15:16   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
did go thru the same...

As shown in the car bible, oversized tyre would be pinching at the bead, the area which should remain sealed to the alloy. Excessive distortion may result in leaks at highspeed cornering. But none of us really know how much speed.

Ultimately the decision is yours. Ignorance is bliss, but since you know now, you might become wary while cornering everytime. Such is the burden of knowledge.
Old 11th December 2006, 15:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Excessive distortion may result in leaks at highspeed cornering. But none of us really know how much speed.
have anyone experienced this before?... (ie. having put wider tyres into smaller rims?....) and what was the results?

By Highspeed cornering you meant, driving around the corners / curves at high speed.... right??

So, If I reduce the speed at the curves (which anyperson would do anyways!!) risk would be much lesser right?
Old 11th December 2006, 15:56   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello children,

I've got myself a Hyundai verna CRDi. Well, it takes 5 weeks to deliver.

I think you have enough advice however

1: A Hyundai ???!!! - the Baleno boys will be crying

2: Upgrading tyres on stock rims is akin to puttingJBL's on a walkman, put dcent rims on to gain more benefits

3: Yoko's rock
Old 11th December 2006, 15:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have anyone experienced this before?... (ie. having put wider tyres into smaller rims?....) and what was the results?

By Highspeed cornering you meant, driving around the corners / curves at high speed.... right??

So, If I reduce the speed at the curves (which anyperson would do anyways!!) risk would be much lesser right?
Yes, I have in my zen running on 165 rubber with 4.5j rims....situation was worse when i had 4j rims

The basic purpose of upsizing is to improve the traction, handling n look of the car (may be not in that order)

The main problem i've faced is the very fluctuating steering response under braking ie oversteer at high speeds

Note: The problem faced will depend from car 2 car....I've seen many cars successfully running with upsized tyres on undersized rims also ....

Last edited by kpzen : 11th December 2006 at 15:58.
Old 14th December 2006, 09:39   #55
BHPian

off topic - but since we are talking abt problems faced with upsizing.. has anyone heard of any problems with 195/60/15 upsize in swift? I just want to make sure I won't face any issues before getting new wheels and tyres
Old 14th December 2006, 13:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
1: A Hyundai ???!!! - the Baleno boys will be crying
That torque leaves even the Dicor boys crying!!!
Old 14th December 2006, 19:53   #57
BHPian

Well, one of my friends just got alloys and tyres for his Verna CRDi. Yokohama 205/50-15. Looks a bit oversized to me, what with the tyres sticking out of the body. He's in for some regular cleaning exercise.

I haven't driven it with the news tyres yet...but he says they are pretty confy, though I'd've recommended 205/55-15.
Old 22nd December 2006, 02:59   #58
SuperSyn

Get the correct wheel width

Many people are suggesting wider tires, nothing wrong, but get the correct wheel width. Tires can usually be fitted over a range of wheel width, but to be safe one should mount on optimum width wheels.

I can recommend two tires:

1. Michelin Energy XM1

2. GoodYear Eagle NCT5

Last edited by SuperSyn : 22nd December 2006 at 03:02.

Old 22nd December 2006, 11:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

SuperSyn - Please read the thread carefully the correct tyre & rim width has been suggested by us various times. Please don't comment adversely without reading the suggestions completely.
Old 7th January 2007, 16:31   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I was driving through town and I saw a brand new Verna White CRDi and I got really excited seeing it. Seems I like cars after all lol.

Anyways, it looked nice until the wheels. It looks terrible from down ya, like Olive Oyl!! Thin rickety legs.

See this is what i currently drive
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian.../?do=big&p=497

So as you can see, i like tyres and wheels.

Therefore I have placed a great rock on my heart and decided to buy alloy wheels and tyres. You guys have given me my just desserts after I have done this to many in the ICE.

Anyways, I am going to buy alloys. Not 15" but 14". The same size as the steel wheels. Not 15" as ride comfort is of importance to me.

Now all my good friends, C3PO, Steroids, Sensai-san, Ajmat Khan, iPodhava and Mason the bricklayer have all suggested that I either go for these things and that Yokohama rocks.

Only one spoke my language though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
2: Upgrading tyres on stock rims is akin to puttingJBL's on a walkman, put dcent rims on to gain more benefits
Sir you have spoken the language of love.
That is what has convinced me to get the wheels too.

Now I called lucky paaji and as expected i must drive into his shop from the showroom to get full price return on my tyres. He is happy to supply me Yoko, but he says they suck.

However you guys say it rocks. I believe you so I am gonna either go for the michelin somethings or the yokohama that things.

So what are the things that are fixed?
1. I am buying 14" alloy wheels
2. I am buying either Michelin or Yokohama Tyres.

Please don't confuse me more on this topic. Thanks lol.

Now here are my questions:

Your expert suggestion, esp Samurais are to get 185/65/14 or 205/60/14. - I accept this suggestion.

Between the two, I know the 205/60/14 will look super cool and I am most tempted to take them, however, of the two, which will have greater ride comfort over bad roads?

Ajmat mentioned to me on the phone that possibly 205s may be overkill and may also make the steering harder to handle.

Let me put it this way, i want the 205/60/14 but umm.. dont want a hard steering. Overkill and super cool are words i can live with, have you seen my hair?

Please give me your expert comments so I can go to lucky paaji and say, I want 6J (or is it 5,5J) alloy wheels and these these tyres while he faints, hearing me talk like that lol.
Please help and I promise, my next post will be photos of the wheels and my driving experience.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks