Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2004, 14:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

When i'd gone to Whitefield Honda to get my car serviced. I noticed this amazing looking tyre which was displayed in one corner of the showroom.

It had this typical V shaped tread pattern, seen on most performance tyres including the Goodyear GS D3s. The tyre looked neat and had a low side profile.

The markings on the sidewall read 195/55 ZR 15. ZR!!!! Woww, this was actually a Z rated tyre.

We picked the tyre and checked out the sidewall to see how it was diff from the others. I tell you, it's sidewall was as hard as the contact area. Felt like it was made of stone.

We aksed the Honda guy how much each tyre would cost, he went in and came back in a while. You wont believe it, the price was around 5400 each!!! For a Z rated tyre????

Wow........ I dunno how good they are, but i can tell you one thing. With a sidewall like that, potholes will be scared when this guy comes rolling towards them. LOL

The tyre i saw was similar to the ones on this link, click here.

Shan2nu
Old 16th November 2004, 15:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sha2nu... yestarday while returning from Gujrat... i saw a Maroon Vtec parked..with some tyres name Sumo Racer from a company HPR??? had wierd tread pattern...!!!
Old 16th November 2004, 15:06   #3

I did a detailed study on tyres and the dealer for them in Blr is Super tyres on JC road . Well these tyres look good but dont know much on how will they perform coz however inquired form diff mkt sources and did not get a good review. A tyres performance will be noticed only after a few kms are run in as to tread wear . As per their price in the foreign mkt its the lowest so i dont know how are they selling these tyres with the prices that match the goodyear and michellin they are well low abroad.
Old 16th November 2004, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Federal tyres too yesterday with a wierd V pattern looked sporty but the dealer told me that they were sport wet tyres and asked the dealer regarding the cost for a 205/60/15 and he told me that they were for 4850 each. Spoke to a couple of friends and they assured me that the tyres are pretty good.
Old 16th November 2004, 15:29   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Even within a normal budget...always go with a tyre company that has extensive and consistent R&D activities (Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear etc.). Tyres are the only contact between even the most sophisticated suspension and the road.

Looks aint everything, and Federal buyers will realise that sooner rather than later.

GTO
Old 16th November 2004, 15:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Even within a normal budget...always go with a tyre company that has extensive and consistent R&D activities (Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear etc.). Tyres are the only contact between even the most sophisticated suspension and the road.

Looks aint everything, and Federal buyers will realise that sooner rather than later.
True, for me it's only Bridgestone.

Shan2nu
Old 16th November 2004, 21:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

saw it in advaith hyundai (banglore) when we picked up an santro last year...he was asking rs 3000 plus the oe tyre
Old 17th November 2004, 09:07   #8
BHPian

hey guys federal tyres is a pretty decent company and you can get these tyres in Metro Cash and Carry for a lot cheaper than outside dealers.
Old 20th November 2004, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

im not 100 % sure but the tires in the link look slightly like the goodyear ventura tyres...the tread is very similar
Old 21st November 2004, 04:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

You mean this one right? these are Federals alright, you can even see the name on the side wall.

Shan2nu
Old 21st November 2004, 04:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey wait a min!!! Read the tyre size again. it says "225/40 ZR 18 - 88 W" Now 88 is the load rating and W is the speed rating, so what in the world does ZR stand for? R is radials, so what is Z??? Can't be Z rated.

Shan2nu
Old 21st November 2004, 13:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

i think the Z stands for the speed rating , the max speed at which the tyre is ok... or something like that. I read somewhere that most tyres have an alphabet before the letter R, which can be anything from P to Z (although we dont see this in indian tyres), with P being the lowest speed, so i guess Z would have the highest speed.
Old 21st November 2004, 13:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Jus checked here...
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmol....cations
there is a table at the bottom that says ZR tyres have "open ended speed category" and the lowest is S for 112 mph and highest is Y for 186 mph.
Old 21st November 2004, 16:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i think the Z stands for the speed rating , the max speed at which the tyre is ok... or something like that. I read somewhere that most tyres have an alphabet before the letter R, which can be anything from P to Z (although we dont see this in indian tyres), with P being the lowest speed, so i guess Z would have the highest speed.
So what is W then???

Shan2nu
Old 21st November 2004, 18:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ok, actually there are two things we are looking at... the "z" is part of "ZR" specification, and the W is part of "88W" specification as shown on the tyre. 88W is also called the "Service description" and in this case, 88 is the Load Index which corresponds to a max load of 560 kg that the tyre can take and W corresponds to the max speed of the vehicle to which this tyre may be fitted, which is 270 kmph. For example, a tyre rated 225/40 ZR 18 - 88 W can sustain speed of 270 kmph under max load, which is denoted by 88. Whereas a tyre rated 225/40 ZR 18 - 88 Y will sustain max speed of 300kmph with load corresponding to 88 index. The ZR rating just means that the tyre will funtion properly at speeds in excess of 270 kmph.
ZR also denotes a stronger sidewall than the plain R rated tyres.

Most Viewed