Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2005, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Wow! That's bad. Exactly where is this potholu? I am taking the same route in 3 days.

just after hassan....on the LHS ...as it was dark i did not see it due to those headlites from oncoming traffic...was doing 140 with 4 heavy weight people on board and full luggage....the road is in good shape ...even the ghats ....just try and avoid driving onthe LHS...while going i saw an accent that crashed into a 800 that had just crashed into a truck which had also crashed into a crashed trailer .....so if driving when dark be carful....

BTW i again did bengalooru -mengalooru in under 5 hours and that included driving 15 kms of sakleshpur ghats in fog ....started at 230am from bommanhalli and reached mangalore at 725...

drive safe
Old 2nd January 2006, 17:25   #17
sAP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
yesterday when retunning from mangalore i hit a crater like pothole and my front left G3:( got torn ....my spare tire 165/60r13 is on steel 4j rims...so when i did change to the spare tire ...the handling was really scary .....the braking was wayward and so had to stick to 80 kph on my regular 160 kph stretches...
Just a note that this also has to do with the spare wheel being out of track with the other 3. Your track is possibly affected by the different offset in comparison with the other 3.

sAP
Old 3rd January 2006, 20:52   #18
BHPian

I've got a query on this topic as well - my 195/60's are on 5.5x14 inchers
(my irrational fear of imported rims led me to buy Aura which only had 14" for the baleno)
and I feel that the sidewall bulges out a bit too much - I hope there isnt any danger of the tyres coming off the rims - another is about the offset.

The Baleno's stock rims have a 32 offset - mine have a 45 - Now, Iceman has assured me that his uber-Baleno has a similar offset without any problems - but as the wheels are more towards the inside, isn't my track reduced ? - thus reducing stability ?

And could I push these rims onto my old 96 Esteem (do they have the same PCD ?)

An while this may belong in the Market Place - what price could I expect for my tyres - 195/60 R14 Michelin MXF Sport with 13k klicks on them ...

cheers

zaphod
zaphod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
And could I push these rims onto my old 96 Esteem (do they have the same PCD ?)
cheers

zaphod
Zen and esteem share the same PCD.....not baleno VXi...
Old 4th January 2006, 20:05   #20
sAP
BHPian

Some answers

==1. 195/60R14 should be allright on rims between are 5.5" to 7" width according to http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

==2. Need your Baleno's OEM rim width to make sense of that offset value (32) *Inset calculation requires offset value and rim width*

==3. You must match center bores, not just PCD (*or use centering rings to match the bore*)

==4. Say about Rs.1000 each at Majestic Tires (Chennai) if they are in good shape

sAP
Old 18th May 2010, 09:30   #21
BHPian

Sorry about opening up this thread after years, but I had a question.

I want to fit 185/65 R14 tyres on a 6J wheel. The tyre chart from Apollo for Acelere recommends a rim width of 5.5J with acceptable ranges from 5J to 6J. If i put the 185s on a rim that's wider than ideal, wouldn't that affect the sidewall height and tyre shape? I think that the sidewall height would be reduced, and the sidewall would look stretched.

For 195/60 R14, the correct rim size is 6J. Should I go for that, rather than the 185/65, because of this issue?

Has anyone fitted 185/65R14 tyres on 6J rims, and can they post some pics? Same for 195/60R14 on 6J. It would be very helpful.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Sorry about opening up this thread after years, but I had a question.

I want to fit 185/65 R14 tyres on a 6J wheel. The tyre chart from Apollo for Acelere recommends a rim width of 5.5J with acceptable ranges from 5J to 6J. If i put the 185s on a rim that's wider than ideal, wouldn't that affect the sidewall height and tyre shape? I think that the sidewall height would be reduced, and the sidewall would look stretched.

For 195/60 R14, the correct rim size is 6J. Should I go for that, rather than the 185/65, because of this issue?

Has anyone fitted 185/65R14 tyres on 6J rims, and can they post some pics? Same for 195/60R14 on 6J. It would be very helpful.
Hi Vivek,

I would just like to briefly repeat what has already been mentioned on this thread, which is that deviating from the reccomended width for a particular tyre width (185 in your case) is not advised. If you put a tyre on a wider rim, the net effect is that your contact patch increases, as the ends/sides of the tyre start constantly touching the ground, or it may also happen that there is more pressure on these areas leading to uneven wear. The central tread in that case would not be worn off as much.

I don't know the details, but it would be better if you stick to a tyre that is suitable for the rim width you are planning, be it 6J or 5.5J.

Take care.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks