Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2018, 20:58   #76
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)

Some more pics from reports of sidewall damage and tyre burst leading to alloy damage. Photos taken from Facebook EcoSquads group. Majority of the affected owners have had their damaged tyres replaced under warranty by Ford. But some owners are reportedly struggling for replacement between dealership, Ford and Bridgestone.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-28577449_10211234516209310_2095544384824431782_n.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-28872121_1825096334191554_4760367366624247808_n.jpg  

FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 22:15   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

My unasked for two cents:
Let's be clear that Ford or Bridgestone isnt replacing this under "warranty". Warranty implies a defect inherent in the tyre.
Looking at many of these pics, it's clear that the driver has really abused the car (knowingly or unknowingly). If Ford is replacing these tyres, clearly they are doing it to just to keep customers happy.
These owners should consider themselves lucky and slow down their cars on bad roads.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2018 at 03:38. Reason: fixed spacing
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 00:47   #78
BHPian

Re-posting the Google Forms link below for the survey created by Facebook EcoSquads group to track the Titanium+ 17" tyre issues. This form has been shared across Facebook and WhatsApp groups of Facelifted EcoSport owners. As per last information, ~25 owners have reported their issues here. Requesting any owner reading this who has faced tyre issues to take this survey-

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...vpkUw/viewform

This issue is circulating across YouTube automotive channels and automobile magazines. Ford has taken note and replaced the damaged tyres free of cost for the affected owners. Kudos to them for this gesture aimed at customer satisfaction!

Out of the ~25 affected cases, some might have been due to driver's fault while others might be genuine quality issue. Also during initial engine break-in phase, knowledgeable owners would surely be driving sedately. Quality issues are not unheard of, as there were reports of the pre-facelift model Platinum variant having tyre problems. Labelling every issue as driver's fault is inappropriate and dismissive.
Hopefully Ford is working on some permanent solution or atleast tightening their quality checks with tyre vendors. The issues may also be limited to a particular batch of Bridgestone Ecopias. Being a responsible global company emphasizing on safety in their cars, they wouldn't want their customers to have any unfortunate incident.

As a future EcoSport owner awaiting delivery, I have had my fair share of doubts and apprehension. Should I cancel my booking? Should I downgrade the booking to lower variants? Haven't done so far and sticking with the current booking for Titanium+ AT. Cautiously optimistic that Ford wouldn't disappoint!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2018 at 03:38. Reason: typo fix
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 03:12   #79
BHPian

Looking at these, I don't feel envious towards the later model Ecosports anymore. Clearly, the tyre choice is wrong for Indian roads.

I have got scratches on my Ecosport's stock 16-inch alloys because of a bit of careless driving. I used to have this issue on my older Indigo's alloys as well until I upsized to wider 185 section tyres that stuck out over the alloys.

We shouldn't forget that these are meant to be city cars primarily, and the stance and height are mostly for show. The latest upgrade to 17-inch increases bling at the cost of usability. The Innova Crysta suffered through the same issue and they briefly switched back to 16 inchers for a time, before switching back IIRC.

Didn't the Platinum edition model of the previous Ecosport also come with 17 inch wheels? I wonder if those customers also had the same issues. Those were on Apollo tyres though, on some seriously nice wheels.

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-ecosport-platinum-ed.jpg

While you could say that the customers are to blame for their careless driving on such low profile tyres, every crossover in India is advertised like it's part HUMVEE. Thus I think the onus is on the manufacturer to ensure that the tyres are up to the challenge posed by Indian terrain.

Personally, I think that the Indian Ecosport should come with tyres like these:
Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-post78280836577001417169629.jpg

Those are 215/75R15 AT tyres. I think that similar sized tyres (or maybe 205/75R15) with a more efficient tread pattern and more supple sidewalls would provide the durability, looks and ride quality that Indians expect from an SUV.

Last edited by vivekgk : 28th March 2018 at 03:14.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:15   #80
BHPian

Hi, I just picked up a T+ EcoSport with the troublesome 17" wheels. I am looking at swapping these for some decent 16-incher alloys and wider tyres, for a more comfortable ride.

Any suggestions of good shops in Bangalore for this?

Also would I be able to get good value for my almost brand new OEM alloys and tyres?

How much should I be budgeting for this swap? I'm trying to figure out if this is within the limits of reason.

Any thoughts would be helpful!
Old 22nd June 2018, 14:32   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Hi, I just picked up a T+ EcoSport with the troublesome 17" wheels. I am looking at swapping these for some decent 16-incher alloys and wider tyres, for a more comfortable ride.

Any suggestions of good shops in Bangalore for this?

Also would I be able to get good value for my almost brand new OEM alloys and tyres?

How much should I be budgeting for this swap? I'm trying to figure out if this is within the limits of reason.

Any thoughts would be helpful!
Rather than swapping the 17" alloys with 16" one you can upgrade the tyres to MOMO outrun m3 225/50 zr17 98w which has strengthened side walls and many in the EcoSqauds Facebook group have done the same and are satisfied and happy with it
Rakshith220 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:26   #82
BHPian

Faced similar issue while i was traveling fr Chennai to mumbai. During a stop over at tea shop to Bangalore noticed a bulge in my right side front tyre. Replaces the tyre with a spare one and noticed MID showing TPMS malfunction every 10 minutes.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-0d1d9a749276457daeb847fe6580c807.jpeg  

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-65889a389ea2490c8b6fdced0d2bcaa3.jpeg  

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-ff3f247c1b424baea83a7a287216e77b.jpeg  

udayjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 20:31   #83
BHPian

Around 15 days back, I too had sidewall crack in one of my Bridgestone Ecopia (205/50R17) of my Titanium+. Reason was hitting a pothole at a speed of 40 KMPH in Bangalore.

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-1.jpg

No dent or mark appeared on alloy.

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-2.jpg

DBM was the batch number of this stock tyre.

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-3.jpg

After preliminary inspection, I got the tyre replaced at Cauvery Ford, Bangalore, the very next day of above incident. Apollo Alnac 4G and same Bridgestone Ecopia were the only options, from Ford for replacement. I opt for Ecopia with manufacturing date of Sept’18. DKK is the new batch with strengthen side wall, which Ford provided to the service centers, in case of any replacement required.

Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)-4.jpg

I was told by workshop head, that Ford has empowered its service centers to change the 17” Ecopia on its own, if they found a case as genuine due to weaker sidewall issue. Like earlier, no pre-approval from Ford is required now. Kudos to Ford and Cauvery Ford both for changing the tyre in just 1 hour.
nkumarblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 00:59   #84
BHPian

I am so annoyed with the eco sport tyres. I didn't face any bulging issue but instead I am facing a case of extra ordinary weak tyres. Car is around 6k km old and I have a 3rd burst

1. Happened in Bangalore in a pothole. Left side both tyres went kaput. I initially thought it was the case of my bad driving and hence agreed to pay 60% for the new tyres

2. Happened today on my way to Rishikesh. A bump and 1 tyre is gone. I am without a spare tyre now and have just completed 1/4 of my journey from Delhi to Chopta. any idea what I can do right now? Planning to get a temporary puncture repair and drive at less than 60kmph toll I reach back delhi

Has anyone got email id of senior ford representatives. Also, is ford supporting new tyre replacement to the fullest or are people paying by themselves when they are moving to new tyres? Sheer waste of time and money!
Old 21st March 2019, 03:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
I am so annoyed with the eco sport tyres. I didn't face any bulging issue but instead I am facing a case of extra ordinary weak tyres. Car is around 6k km old and I have a 3rd burst!
What pressure are they being inflated to? If over inflated the same reasons that cause the bulging issues may cause a burst. Did the sidewall split in each case or was it the tyre surface?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 08:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What pressure are they being inflated to? If over inflated the same reasons that cause the bulging issues may cause a burst. Did the sidewall split in each case or was it the tyre surface?
I maintain the tyre pressure at 35. Yes, it was the sidewall in each of the case!
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 08:55   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I maintain the tyre pressure at 35. Yes, it was the sidewall in each of the case!
Grossly excessive for other than severe load conditions. For a normal load stick to 30 PSI. For full loads (5 people plus a full boot of luggage) you can go to 35 front and 41 rear. And yes, that is what your vehicle's manual recommends.
Old 21st March 2019, 16:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone got email id of senior ford representatives. Also, is ford supporting new tyre replacement to the fullest or are people paying by themselves when they are moving to new tyres?
Trust me, there is no use of email ids of senior Ford authorities, no one ever reply. As I mentioned in my earlier post (#83) that Ford has empowered its service centers to change the 17” Ecopia on its own, if they found a case as genuine due to weaker sidewall issue.

You can get the affected tyre change easily now, as no pre-approval from Ford is required. Make sure to have tyre of strengthen side wall now. One important point to note, Ford will change each tyre only once. Once you will have all the tires with strengthen side wall, they will not entertain you, in case you still come up with issue (many from EcoSqauds Facebook group reported same).

Last edited by nkumarblr : 21st March 2019 at 17:23.
nkumarblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 16:34   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkumarblr View Post
Trust me, there is no use of email ids of senior Ford authorities, no one ever reply. As I mentioned in my earlier post (#83) that Ford has empowered its service centers to change the 17” Ecopia on its own, if they found a case as genuine due to weaker sidewall issue.

You can get the affected tyre change easily now, as no pre-approval from Ford is required. Make sure to have tyre of strengthen side wall now. One important point to note, Ford will change each tyre only once. Once you will have all the tires with strengthen side wall, they will not entertain you, in case you still come up with issue (many from EcoSqauds Facebook group reported same).
Thanks, this was quite helpful.

Honestly I am very disappointed in this car. My trip hasn't ended yet and below is the list of issues

1. A burst tyre (mentioned above)
2. Squeaking brakes
3. Noise from rear suspension
4. Fuel lid lock is broken.

Mind you this is a 6k km done car. One of the important reason I opted out of brezza was the build quality and now to be honest I don't know whether this was a right decision. I used a Ritz for 6 years, rattled and dented like a piece of cheap plastic. But never broke down / had mechanical failures.
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 11:30   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this was quite helpful.

Honestly I am very disappointed in this car. My trip hasn't ended yet and below is the list of issues

1. A burst tyre (mentioned above)
2. Squeaking brakes
3. Noise from rear suspension
4. Fuel lid lock is broken.
Don't be disappointed, EcoSport is a wonderful car. I already mentioned about tyre issue in my earlier posts, get a tyre of DKK Batch under warranty, when you go for exchange.

Also kindly fill your details in the shared google sheet, which has the details of most of the owners, who faced tyre issue (17" Ecopia) so far.
[Link]

As this thread is specific to tyre issue, I will encourage you to post the other issues in right thread, you will get other owner's comments there, which would help you to get rid of those issues.
[Link]

Last edited by nkumarblr : 27th March 2019 at 11:55.
nkumarblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks