Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2018, 12:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Facelift: Tyre bulging issue (R17 size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Petrol being blended with Ethanol? In India?
Since when has it been rolled out?
Or did you mean to say that this kind of adulteration is happening these days?
Been going on for quite a few years now. It is just that water might get in if you aren't careful, and cause this.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:13   #47
BHPian

Re: Tyre Upsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Thanks for the info!
Will this void any warranty?? Of suspension maybe?? Any issues with scraping of wheel well when doing a full turn?
BTW, was this suggested by your Tyre dealer based on any such previous swap?
Where did you do the swap , mind sharing the price and the exchange yielded by the stock ones.
1. No problem with warranties, checked with SA whom I know well.

2. The height profile is still "50", so it doesn't create problems when doing a full turn.

3. I usually change stock tyres to Michelin because I am more comfortable using the same. Even in this case, I didn't change Bridgestone tyres for the problems reported, but as a practice that I do.

4. I changed the tyres at Lal Enterprises, Lloyds Road. Among the dealers that I enquired, they were the only ones agreed to exchange Bridgestone for 2500/- each, even after it had run 1500 kms. New Tyre costed 12500/-, so the net outgo was 10k per Tyre. I put Rally Sport 4 as they didn't have Primacy ST3.

5. They gave me two wheel alignment/balancing free, one after 1500 kms and 3000 kms respectively. The tyres have warranty too.

6. Finally, for the sheer comfort and stability it gives during long drives, I am OK to forgive the low speed drive quality (especially in undulated roads).
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The old Ecosport came with 205/60-16 tyres and if there hasnt been a major change in suspension, the correct upsize would be 225/50-17.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If 205/50-17 to 225/50-17 doesn't touch anywhere this is indeed a good option.

Correct me if I am wrong but Michelin has P3ST in 215/55-17 as well.
The 17 inch alloy on Ecosport is actually 7J, so it is suitable for both of the above profiles. One option that looks very good on paper if someone has the stomach for a bit of Vitamin M is Pilot Sport 4 225/50ZR17 98Y XL. The fact that it is extra load tyre with a load rating of 98 (205/60R16 is usually 92) means sidewall is insured at the cost of ride quality.
sidhu_hs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:43   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
The 17 inch alloy on Ecosport is actually 7J, so it is suitable for both of the above profiles. One option that looks very good on paper if someone has the stomach for a bit of Vitamin M is Pilot Sport 4 225/50ZR17 98Y XL. The fact that it is extra load tyre with a load rating of 98 (205/60R16 is usually 92) means sidewall is insured at the cost of ride quality.
Ps4 are fantastic tyres but in this case of Ecosport they are overkill due to below reasons:

1. 225 is really wide for an Ecosport.
2. PS4 are performance tyres. The idea is to improve the harsh ride and offer better comfort.
3. Ps4 are very expensive tyres
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 13:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
The 7J rim has the following tyre width criteria:-
Min width = 205mm
Ideal/Normal width = 215 mm
Max width = 225 mm

The best upsize for the stock tyres is 215/50/R17
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 13:25   #51
BHPian

I have tagged Ford India on Facebook on this issue. I hope they take notice.

In the meanwhile, can anyone share their thoughts on downsizing to 16 inch rim and 205/16 tyre size? Would it be ideal?
Old 19th February 2018, 13:59   #52
BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
He has also reported that he went to the dealership and it seems like this issue has finally got Ford's attention. The dealership has received mail from Ford about this and they'll be replacing the tyres after verifying with Ford. Awaiting further updates.
The concerned owner of this tyre bulging issue has updated in Facebook. He got a call from service center informing that Ford has rejected the replacement request stating that there are no issues with Bridgestone tyres. Service centre has instructed him to mail to Ford customer care.
Old 19th February 2018, 15:28   #53

Update:-
Motor octane reports that Ford is replacing R17 tyres for affected owners FOC

https://motoroctane.com/news/98396-f...tyre-free-cost

Can the existing owners confirm if this actually is the case ?
dushmin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 15:29   #54
BHPian

Some more news coming in on this topic. This was shared on the Ecosquads fb group. Apparently, Ford is replacing the damaged tyres for free. I know this contradicts several posts on this very thread, but here goes:

anirudh_85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 16:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmin View Post
Update:-
Motor octane reports that Ford is replacing R17 tyres for affected owners FOC

Can the existing owners confirm if this actually is the case ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh_85 View Post
Some more news coming in on this topic. This was shared on the Ecosquads fb group. Apparently, Ford is replacing the damaged tyres for free. I know this contradicts several posts on this very thread, but here goes:

None of the Facebook EcoSquads members have got any replacement for free. Affected owners are cross checking with their service centres about this article.

I do wish this to be true. It would improve Ford's credibility and assure existing and future buyers. Hope this is not just a PR scheme to protect existing bookings.

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 19th February 2018 at 16:09. Reason: Added points
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 17:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
None of the Facebook EcoSquads members have got any replacement for free. [...]
The news may take some time to reach the dealers via official channels and that may be the reason they are non-commital at the moment.

You're absolutely right in pointing out the massive PR boost Ford will get if they play this right. For their sake and for the sake of an otherwise well engineered car, let us hope the news is true
anirudh_85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 19:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Hey guys, so we're thinking of upsizing the tyres from 205/50/r17 to 225/50/r17 for two reasons only: improving ride comfort, and reducing the possibility of tyre pops/blowouts.
The 225s will slow down the EcoSport quite a bit. It will be like accelerating with the other foot on the brake pedal.
Old 19th February 2018, 19:41   #58

I haven't had the tyre-bulge issue with my 2017 Ecosport Titanium Petrol, but I have definitely faced the power-loss issue.

I first noticed it when the car was brand new and in the first gear, I let the clutch go completely.

Essentially, the car would struggle to pick up speed and slowly sputter to a standstill.

Putting it back in first wouldn't help - even pressing the accelerator wouldn't rev the engine like it should.

Essentially, the car would become unresponsive for about 10 - 15 seconds (which is a long time) without turning off.

Then, it would slowly start responding to the accelerator once again, until everything was back to normal.

It's not like the clutch was being released too quickly - because that should jerk and launch the car forward quickly - it was primarily that the engine would lose power and stop accelerating.

This happened plenty of times for me to be concerned about our purchase and complain to the service centre and showroom - they heard us out, tried to re-create it (even I tried), but failed.

After the second-service, the problem hasn't come back - not sure if that is because the engine is broken in now or because our driving style (wife and I) has adapted to that issue.

The other thing (not sure if it's related) was that if the car stalled in gear, it wouldn't start back up again for 30-seconds to a minute.

This happened to us when the car was still new and we were still getting used to the clutch, and hasn't happened in a long time.
Old 20th February 2018, 16:48   #59
BHPian

Looks like Ford is replacing damaged tyres under warranty. Facebook group members are getting calls for free of cost replacement and refund for people who have paid up to get a new tyre from ford. Gestures like these make companies go a long way in India, way to go Ford. Request owners of titanium plus on the forum who have faced this issue to get in touch with their respective SA and dealerships.

Last edited by blurust : 20th February 2018 at 17:09.
blurust is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 18:10   #60
BHPian

What are they doing for upcoming deliveries? Why are they not changing the Tyre specs that suits our roads?

Most Viewed