Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 21:21   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Freestyle : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My friend is looking to upgrade the 185/60 R15 on his new Ford Freestyle to a R16. Im guessing the right upgrade would be a 195/55 R16 or even a 205/55 R16, right?

The two wheels that he has shortlisted are:
  • MOMO Massimo
  • HRS H 594

The issue here is that the Massimo has an offset of 42 while the HRS has 40. I believe the 14" wheels that came with the Figos are of 5.5J 37.5 . Is the offset of Freestyle any different? Is the difference in the offset acceptable and if so, would the above mentioned rims would make the wheel narrow or wider?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Freestyle : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My friend is looking to upgrade the 185/60 R15 on his new Ford Freestyle
The best upgrade would be the Figo Sport's 195/55 R15 size. It's the perfect match. The Freestyle has amazing balance - don't ruin it by oversizing the tyres. 205 would be too much for the power on tap.

Quote:
195/55 R16 or even a 205/55 R16
There is already some firmness felt on low speed bumps. Stick to 15" wheels - 16s will lead to a noticeable compromise in ride quality.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 23:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The best upgrade would be the Figo Sport's 195/55 R15 size. It's the perfect match. .
Hi GTO,
My dealer is not entertaining the spare wheel upgrade to alloy wheel for reason unknown. Is there any other way to source this perhaps from Ford directly ?
rohith741 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 09:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohith741 View Post
Hi GTO,
My dealer is not entertaining the spare wheel upgrade to alloy wheel for reason unknown. Is there any other way to source this perhaps from Ford directly ?
That's just dumb. Your dealer (mention his name please) is just losing business by denying you the alloy. Bangalore has more than one Ford dealer, so you can just buy it from one of them.

Or you could just buy it over the counter at the Ford Parts Retailer in Bangalore.

VST Ford Spares
Ground Floor, No.80/ A2
1st Main, 3rd Cross
Industrial Suburb, II Stage
Yeshwanthpur
Bangalore - 560022
Tel: +91 080 41123223
fordspares.wh@vstautoparts.com

For More Details:
http://www.india.ford.com/about/corporate/ford-parts

Refer this thread for more information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3788676

Last option is to contact Ford Customer Care via Call / Facebook / Mail and get them to resolve the issue.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 09:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
That's just dumb. Your dealer (mention his name please) is just losing business by denying you the alloy. Bangalore has more than one Ford dealer, so you can just buy it from one of them.

Or you could just buy it over the counter at the Ford Parts Retailer in Bangalore.

Thanks a lot samaspire, quite a helpful set of links. My dealer is PPS Ford, Kasturba Road, Bangalore and the accessories department hasn't been as great as the sales.
I will follow up with the dealer again before escalating to Ford India

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st August 2018 at 16:12. Reason: Removed unnecessary spaces. Thanks
rohith741 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

If your friend wants 16", 205/50 R16 would be ideal. There is options with Michelin PS4 ST.

I love the Massimo over the HRS, but then its a personal choice. A bit of offset should fill the wheel well nicely very close to the edge of the plastic cladding.

Good luck and share pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My friend is looking to upgrade the 185/60 R15 on his new Ford Freestyle to a R16.

The two wheels that he has shortlisted are:
  • MOMO Massimo
  • HRS H 594
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 16:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised no one is thinking of how we can put AT tyres on this and make it so much more versatile.

It has a very healthy Ground Clearance, torque engine. An AT tyre will help you traverse a whole lot more terrain

Alas, the closest I could find was 205/70/15. The difference from stock is too much IMO. Any opinions?
Old 28th August 2018, 10:38   #8
BHPian

Hi All

Need suggestion with which tyre to go...
My Freestyle has come with Goodyear Assurance TripleMax. Looking to upgrade to 195/55 R 15. The options seems to be
1. Continental MC5
2. Yokohama S Drive
3. Michelin XM2

If it will be okay to upgrade to 195/60 R 15, then
1. Michelin P3ST
2. Goodyear Assurance TripleMax
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 20:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
My Freestyle has come with Goodyear Assurance TripleMax. Looking to upgrade to 195/55 R 15. The options seems to be
1. Continental MC5
2. Yokohama S Drive
3. Michelin XM2

If it will be okay to upgrade to 195/60 R 15, then
1. Michelin P3ST
2. Goodyear Assurance TripleMax
XM2 is an entry level comfort oriented tyre. S Drives are sporty but noisy. MC5 is a good balance between grip and low noise. I am running MC5 on my Figo in 195/55 R15 size for almost 30,000 kms now and it is a very good tyre. Best is to stick to this size and not change the aspect ratio just to get the P3ST. This tyre size is one that is tested by OEM in their Figo S variant. So stick to this size. Also, since you already have Assurance TripleMax, no point going for the same tyre in a higher size as you already want to get rid of it and go for better tyres. Do let us know what you decide to go with.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 21:23   #10
BHPian

Thanks Abhinav for sharing your experience with MC5. I too have soft corner for Conti....

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Also, since you already have Assurance TripleMax, no point going for the same tyre in a higher size as you already want to get rid of it and go for better tyres
Our forum has excellent feedback on GY TripleMax and so I am not sure if MC5 is really better then the TripleMax to a point where it matters. Not sure what I am gonna do
Old 28th August 2018, 21:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Our forum has excellent feedback on GY TripleMax and so I am not sure if MC5 is really better then the TripleMax to a point where it matters. Not sure what I am gonna do
That was the next point which i forgot in my previous post. Unless you are really keen to go for 195 section, you might as well run with the current set and wear them out before you look for a change of tyres. Getting a good OEM tyre is like a luck of the draw and you have hit it there with the TripleMax. Use it till it wears out and then think of an upgrade?

BTW is your car a petrol or diesel..? Either ways the Freestyle is better that it is getting the 15" wheels with 185 section tyres as stock compared to 175 section 14" wheels on the Figo!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 07:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Unless you are really keen to go for 195 section, you might as well run with the current set and wear them out before you look for a change of tyres...
Thats the only thing I am debating in my head - if I really need to upgrade to 195

Quote:
BTW is your car a petrol or diesel..?
Mine is Petrol - the new 1.2 dragon.
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 09:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, just a word of advice. I wish I could copy paste my posts from earlier.

Do not upsize or 'upgrade' your tyres just for the heck of it.

For most people, 185 section tyres are good enough. Dont waste money by upsizing.

I have mentioned this on numerous Rapid/Vento/Polo threads. For most Indian drives on Indian roads, 185 section tyres are good enough.

The OEM tyres nowadays like Apollo, Goodyear and MRF are pretty good. JK, I'm still not convinced.

You guys will spend thousands of rupees on upsizing the tyres and the difference is going to be miniscule. It's usually placebo. Even experienced drivers will rarely feel the difference if it's a blind test. If any difference is felt, it's usually because people are expected to feel the difference and then they make claims.

Also, I have used the word "upgrade" in quotes simply because every tyre change from an Indian company to a foreign company is not an upgrade.

Dont get fooled.

Apollo and MRF make pretty decent tyres off late and you guys dont have to be sheep to blindly assume everything made by a phoren company is better.

Objectively, I personally would say the Michelin XM2 is better than the Apollo. But it is NOT worth throwing away brand new Apollos at a low price, spending an extra 8-10k just to brag that you have Michelins or Continentals.

I suggest you wear out the OEM tyres and then think of upsizing and go for Michelin or whatever brand you fancy when your OE tyres are worn.

Unless you're going to be driving at 150+ constantly (including taking corners at illegal speeds), an upsize doesnt matter.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 11:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Apollo and MRF make pretty decent tyres off late and you guys dont have to be sheep to blindly assume everything made by a phoren company is better.
Very insightful post, Nikhil. I'm one of those whom you kept away from wider rubber on my EcoSport, and that was the second best decision I made there, the first was taking you up on the suggestion for the P3ST.

Cross posting an anecdote about a two-legged beast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
A small anecdote.

I had a 2008 Yamaha R15 that came with MRFs, and those were utterly brilliant in the dry and wet. Prior to purchase, I too had apprehensions over an "Indian" brand and kept thinking of changing to Pirellis. A few reports mentioned the OEM MRF tyres were good, so I kept an open mind. When I finally laid my hands on my own bike, and pushed the MRF tyres to its limits, I totally abandoned my plans for a rubber upgrade - I found I kept hitting my skill and bravery limits well before the tyres reached theirs.

That opened my mind to the fact that the poor quality MRF tyres that came as OEM fitment on cars and two wheelers are actually made only to an OEM spec (mileage, longevity, etc.) & price point, and MRF's capabilities are up there with the big guns when given a spec like what Yamaha did.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:41   #15
BHPian

Ford Freestyle Tire Upgrade Suggestions

Hey all...

Its been 15 months since I bought my car, the Ford Freestyle Titanium TDCi. I have traveled to some beautiful places and explored those unexplored places on my car where no hatchback/crossover owner would ever dare to go. So far I have clocked 27000 KMS.

The tires that I got from Ford is GoodYear Assurance 185 60 R15 which is prone to many punctures and many side wall damage complaints. Fortunately I have not experienced any side wall complaints so far except for many punctures.

Since I maintain the tires well by doing timely wheel alignment, balancing and maintaining correct air pressure, my tires will run for another 23000 KMS making a total of 50000 KMS i.e., till November 2020 hopefully.

Considering my usage, the vehicle's torque engine and healthy ground clearance which makes it a really good vehicle for explorations, i'm seriously considering to upgrade my tires to A/T tires. The starting size for A/T is 215 75 R15 which I saw on many TUV300s. I dont know if this will fit my Freestyle or will be a overkill.

Since the ride quality and high speed balance is spot on with the tired I have now, I dont know how the vehicle would behave with the bigger tires.

Please suggest the right tire for my Freestyle that supports my usage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks