Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2006, 23:14   #1
BHPian

do alloys effect handling??

if i get alloy wheels in my non power steering car will it make my handling harder??
Old 27th December 2006, 09:03   #2
BHPian

nope. A good set of alloy wheels enhances the ride quality.
Old 27th December 2006, 12:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you go for standard size tyres alongwith the alloys then there won't be any difference in the steering effort. However, if you upgrade to wider tyres then it will make your steering harder.
Old 27th December 2006, 13:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn48001 View Post
nope. A good set of alloy wheels enhances the ride quality.
In theory, yes they should. I am not too sure about how much change do they cause in real.
Old 27th December 2006, 13:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Alloys are a fraction of the weight of steel wheels. That in itself causes the alloys to handle fairly significantly better than steel rims
Old 27th December 2006, 14:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Alloys are a fraction of the weight of steel wheels. That in itself causes the alloys to handle fairly significantly better than steel rims
This would be the case if you keep everything the same (tyres, effective dia, etc) and only change the wheels right..

But this is an interesting question really. Now what happens if you keep the net dia same and put lower profile tyres - I would assume the steering largely depends on the dia of the wheel-tyre combination and the width of the tyres...
Old 27th December 2006, 21:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Alloy wheels certainly enhance your handling by reducing the 'unsprung' weight of the car. This is applicable if you go with the standard tyres of the car and not upsized ones. For more info on 'unsprung' weight click this: Unsprung weight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27th December 2006, 23:47   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well as far as i have seen,the taiwanese imported rims that most of us usually go for are not as light as we think they are.just put the steel and the alloy wheels on a weight balance and you'll be surprised.
your steering wheel be lighter if you upsize for eg:go from 14" to 15" with the same width of the tyre.if you increase the width as well,the contact area of the tires increases and the steering becomes harder.
Old 27th December 2006, 23:59   #9
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
well as far as i have seen,the taiwanese imported rims that most of us usually go for are not as light as we think they are.just put the steel and the alloy wheels on a weight balance and you'll be surprised.
Further, many times the chosen alloy wheels do not match the technical specifications of the stock rims (e.g. offset, hub dia, PCD) and this may lead to further problems like vibrations at high speeds and maybe even poor handling/braking. There are many T-BHP threads devoted to these issues.
Old 3rd January 2007, 18:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

I changed my standard 12in wheel of my alto to 185/R1365 and the steering is very hard now.No need to go to a gym
Old 8th January 2007, 00:22   #11
BHPian

honestly speaking you wouldnt any difference in the ride quality even if u do get the standard rim size
you might feel so because youve just spent 15-20k on them
but the drool factor is simply amazing.. if u can afford them then ceratinly do get a good set of snazzy lookin alloys for ur car
its the best thing u can do to your car's looks
Old 8th January 2007, 00:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I changed my standard 12in wheel of my alto to 185/R1365 and the steering is very hard now.No need to go to a gym
Well with 185/65 on a non-PS Alto you certainly don't need to go the gym!! COuld you post some pcitures of your car please??
Old 8th January 2007, 02:14   #13
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well with 185/65 on a non-PS Alto you certainly don't need to go the gym!! COuld you post some pcitures of your car please??
I had Goodyear Eagle Ventura 185/60R-13 tyres on 6J Alloys for my wife's Alto. The steering was quite hard (smaller diameter steering didn't help in that regard!) & the tyres used to scrape the wheel wells with more than one person on board. They looked great though.

Had them changed to the current lot of Falken ZE326 165/60R-13 tyres. No problem whatsoever now - no tendency to tramline & the high speed stability is also decent. You can see this in my garage here.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hear are my alloy and tyre

my car's best view
Old 14th March 2007, 10:45   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If your rims get heavier and even if your tires are wider there is a slight chance of your car having horrible handling if you go too wide on the tires plus always check the offsets on the alloys and a good alignment is what will keep the drive worth while.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks