Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2021, 15:00   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
In the 2nd week of Feb'21, I have purchased Michelin Primacy 4 for size 195/65/R15 from Gurgaon. With each tyre costing around 7K.
Ask multiple dealer around NCR and you will be able to secure a good deal.
Could you confirm the month of manufacturing of the same? AFAIK, the Michelins are on extremely low supply due to the import restrictions. These may very well be some tyres from the old lot.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 17:33   #167
BHPian

I have got the tyres of Oct/Nov 2019 time. I think that is ok time for imported ones.
2 i got for 4019 and other 2 are of 4419.
smooth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 08:51   #168
BHPian

Thanks.

I am not getting a quote less than 9k in the Delhi-NCR Market, would you be kind to drop me dealer details in a private message.

Also, I am worried about the replacement of Michelin P4ST Under warranty, in case it's required.
Old 12th March 2021, 10:05   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_trikha View Post
Thanks.

I am not getting a quote less than 9k in the Delhi-NCR Market, would you be kind to drop me dealer details in a private message.

Also, I am worried about the replacement of Michelin P4ST Under warranty, in case it's required.
Posting here instead of DM for everybody's reference.

Please reach out to
Michelin Tyres & Services - Zig Wheels.
Shop No. 1-4, Cyber City Road, Sikanderpur, Nathupur, Gurugram.

Rohit is the owner of the place. He is the authorized dealer of the Michelin so incase of issue he will be able to arrange replacement, I believe.

Post purchasing the tyre, I got the sms and multiple calls from Michelin customer care to inquire about my experience & shared the digital warranty number with me.
Warranty is valid pan India.

But Michelin do not provide unconditional warranty, Bridgestone and others do provide unconditional warranty.
smooth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 10:22   #170
BHPian

Thanks !

He is quoting 9.2K for 195/55/R16 and 6.8k for 195/65/R15.
The tyres are manufactured in March 2020.
I hope the prices are not inflated due to lack of supply.

Last edited by himanshu_trikha : 12th March 2021 at 10:45.
himanshu_trikha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:58   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
But Michelin do not provide unconditional warranty, Bridgestone and others do provide unconditional warranty.
Michelin does provide unconditional warranty also but its available as a separate add on instead of being included as part of the price.

For everyone facing inflated rates of Michelin tires, I would recommend waiting till the 1st of April 2021 as Michelin will be able to sell newly imported tires from that day on according to their license.
ChargedGarage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:09   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedGarage View Post
For everyone facing inflated rates of Michelin tires, I would recommend waiting till the 1st of April 2021 as Michelin will be able to sell newly imported tires from that day on according to their license.
Is this a fact? I'm not so sure if the 'standard' sizes will become available, because the whole point of the GoI was import substitution, i.e. force tyre manufacturers to manufacture in India. Unless Michelin has suddenly started doing so in India (after years of imports from their mega Thailand factory), I don't see how the usual sizes will become available.

Look at Continental; they have superbly captured a huge portion of the Michelin crowd with their Made in India UC6.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:18   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is this a fact? I'm not so sure if the 'standard' sizes will become available, because the whole point of the GoI was import substitution, i.e. force tyre manufacturers to manufacture in India. Unless Michelin has suddenly started doing so in India (after years of imports from their mega Thailand factory), I don't see how the usual sizes will become available.

Look at Continental; they have superbly captured a huge portion of the Michelin crowd with their Made in India UC6.
Perfectly put. According the bloke I bought my Contis from (had no choice after the old Michelins P3STs!) it'll take about 2-3 years for Michelin India to set up a plant and start production. In the meantime these limited imports for the 14-16" rim sizes will have to do. You may get them provided your dealer has them in stock. @nikhilb2008 mentioned only select premium dealers will receive supplies

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th March 2021 at 20:27. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:53   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
..it'll take about 2-3 years for Michelin India to set up a plant and start production.
Frankly, GoI has very rightly intervened in this instance as there is no rationale for importing 16" & below.

Let Michelin get the moulds to India and make here, or watch the market move to Continental or Apollo's Vredestein.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:10   #175
BHPian

So as the debate is progressing, I am caught in dilemma between Michelin P4ST at 36K and Continental UC6 at 26K for a set of four tires 195/55/R16.

I am not sure whether a premium of around ~50% is justified for Michelins as compared with Continental.

Can you help with your views, please.
himanshu_trikha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:23   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_trikha View Post
So as the debate is progressing, I am caught in dilemma between Michelin P4ST at 36K and Continental UC6 at 26K for a set of four tires 195/55/R16.

I am not sure whether a premium of around ~50% is justified for Michelins as compared with Continental. Can you help with your views, please.
This is price gouging. Don't encourage it because this practice will persist even after they get imported supplies in Apr.

I just got a set of Conti MC5s and have left on a long distance journey. They are grippy but have a harder sidewall so this results in better cornering and more precise steering. But the -ves are mildly higher rolling noise and a noticeably harder ride. Need to recheck pressure. The "running in" mileage should be done when I return. This is when I expect to see the true behavior of these tyres.

The Michelins are still my top choice but not if a dealer tries to rip me off.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th March 2021 at 18:27.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 09:22   #177
BHPian

Hello fellow Members,

So after a lot of deliberations, I picked up a set of 4 Continental UC6 Tires in 195/55/R16 trim. These 'Made in India' tires were manufactured in second week of March 2021.

My Initial impression is that tires are much better in Grip and thus moving around tight corners improved a bit along with a noticeable reduction in noise as compared with my worn out Apollo Cognacs.

I found them VFM as compared with now exorbitant priced Michelin P4ST.
himanshu_trikha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:26   #178
BHPian

@R2D2 .. Eagerly awaiting your report on your return. I've held out for the Michelins so far. Would love to hear your opinion of the MC5s.
Old 26th March 2021, 18:17   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
@R2D2 .. Eagerly awaiting your report on your return. I've held out for the Michelins so far. Would love to hear your opinion of the MC5s.
They are grippy but have a harder sidewall so this results in better cornering and more precise steering. But the negatives are mildly higher rolling noise and a noticeably harder ride. The "running in" mileage has been done. Now I expect to see the true behavior of these tyres. Total running done so far about 900-1000 km on the highway.

If I had a choice between these MC5s and the P4STs (new stock only!) I'd take the latter any day. I have used Michelins for over 10 years now and they're perfect for my car and driving style.

You need to decide whether to wait and get hit by almost certain price gouging and shortages with Michelin on one hand or go with a tyre with slightly different characteristics from a company that makes in India. So you have assured supply even if one of the tyres is damaged and requires warranty or paid replacement. Michelins will be difficult to come by in the 14-16" sizes till the company sets up a production plant here which according to the dealer is about 2-3 years away.

We car owners better be open to other tyre brands now.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th March 2021 at 18:23.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:54   #180
BHPian

Any idea if they are available with any dealers in NCR? Getting close to the time to replace the tyres on my Lexus.

Most Viewed