Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 21:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India

The stock 175/65/15 MRF ZVTVs were worn out in about 30K KM and were flimsy and hopeless with frequent punctures.

The second set 195/60/15 XM2s have been running for the last 45K KMs and still has good amount of tread depth. Very robust, efficient and puncture free experience except for one recent puncture due to a thick stubborn metal nail. The tyres tend to squeal while braking at higher speeds though.
Though the tyres seem to be in good shape, I'm contemplating to change them sooner when the odo nears 80K KM.

Looks like Primacy 4ST though premium is softer and more puncture prone going by the last few posts.
If P4 STs are more puncture prone, then its a cause for concern and I may stick to XM2s during the change.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th August 2019 at 21:08.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:25   #92
BHPian

I was so happy when I saw this thread because after having experienced the 3STs in my friend's Creta I was sure I wanted the Primacy for my next tyre change.. and then i discovered that Michelin doesn't make these in my size ( 205/65 R15 ). Boo hoo..
Old 23rd October 2019, 18:15   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Looks like Primacy 4ST though premium is softer and more puncture prone going by the last few posts.
I just did an epic 7K Pune - Bangalore - Kolkata & back trip in last two weeks and the tyres held up really good with no punctures and maybe 1-2psi pressure loss over 7000Km. The thing is if you are unfortunate to land over a nail, it will pierce through any rubber, be it MRF or Michelin. So don't procrastinate so much based on made up theories. All tyres are tested & certified to take day to day abuses & a difference of few percentages hardly matter over long run.
Old 24th October 2019, 01:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
...The thing is if you are unfortunate to land over a nail, it will pierce through any rubber, be it MRF or Michelin. ..... All tyres are tested & certified to take day to day abuses & a difference of few percentages hardly matter over long run.
On landing over a nail, the chances of having a puncture is not the same for all tyres. Depending on the puncture resistance, a softer tyre may be more puncture prone than a tyre with harder rubber compound which will offer more puncture resistance.

Its another matter why some tyres have softer rubber compound for reasons such as more comfort, lower noise, better wet cornering grip over harder tyres. There are pros and cons both ways.

Not all tyres are made the same, the small differences matters a lot. It may be the difference between cruizing along v/s getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th October 2019 at 01:47.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:25   #95
BHPian

After a lot of contemplation, I went ahead and purchased Michelin Primacy 4 ST 195/60 as a replacement for my stock R15 185/60 MRF tyres of my VW Polo.
This decision has nothing to do with the fact that I got a good deal at 5848 per tyre under Michelin Friends & Family program.

My initial impressions:
1) It is super smooth and silent.
2) The vehicle feels planted and stable.
3) The bad patches on my commute are much more bearable.

The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India-img_20191030_184849.jpg

The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India-img_20191030_200054.jpg

Now my only regret is not doing this at the beginning itself when I took the delivery of my car. That could have saved my wife and me from bashing Polo's suspension every time it went over a pothole.
WhiteFang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:42   #96
Senior - BHPian

Is this the employee benefit (For their friends?). As I'm in Michelin Club as well, but am unaware of the scheme. Yes, I agree these tyres are the very best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
got a good deal at 5848 per tyre under Michelin Friends & Family program
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 10:12   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Is this the employee benefit (For their friends?). As I'm in Michelin Club as well, but am unaware of the scheme. Yes, I agree these tyres are the very best.
Yes. This one is a referral-based scheme for Michelin employees to their friends and family.
Old 31st October 2019, 12:42   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Not all tyres are made the same, the small differences matters a lot. It may be the difference between cruizing along v/s getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Well mate real world experience will tell more than these theories. Before 4ST i had possibly one of the hardest tyres in HT (MRF Zv2K) which ran 68K. Had 4-5 slow punctures but never a flat out. Lets see how 4ST goes. I did almost 10k in last two months without any issues or leak, but this is very situational.

Coming to getting stuck in middle of nowhere, i have that covered. Puncture Repair kit + portable inflator + tow rope always stays on my boot. I have a thread for that. Hope you are having them also !

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-your-car.html (Must-Have Items in the boot of your car)
Old 23rd November 2019, 23:42   #99
BHPian

My mich XM2 held strong for 1.1Lakh kms before it showed the wear in tread now the shop guy is pitching Michelin Primacy 4 ST over Xm2...confused now
Old 25th November 2019, 08:41   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
My mich XM2 held strong for 1.1Lakh kms before it showed the wear in tread now the shop guy is pitching Michelin Primacy 4 ST over Xm2...confused now
P4ST is definitely superior to XM2 but what is the vehicle, tyre size, usage pattern, preferences between ride comfort vs noise vs handling etc?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 08:44   #101
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
No need of any confusion. Opt for Primacy 4ST. It is much better than XM2 in most aspects.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 17:29   #102
BHPian

Had a little chat with the shop guy and we decided it's better to go with Michelin XM2+ since I drive 50% on terrains and soft rubbers may wear off quickly price 6k per tyre.

The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India-20191124_132936.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th November 2019 at 18:31. Reason: Correction. EDIT: Picture inserted in-line.
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 10:08   #103
Senior - BHPian

Is P4 ST available for 195/65/15 ? If so, what would be the right price ?
Old 7th December 2019, 04:26   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I changed the 205/55/R15 MC5s in my Polo GT TSi to 195/60/R15 Michelin P4STs. The MC5s had become unbearably noisy.
Hi graaja
Any regrets in downsizing from the 205s to the 195s ? I'm in a similar situation now where I want to go with the P4ST for my Civic but will have to go down to 195s as they're not available in 205. What is your opinion / experience ?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th December 2019 at 07:02. Reason: Trimmed the post inside quotes for better readability
revvhed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 06:13   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi graaja
Any regrets in downsizing from the 205s to the 195s ? I'm in a similar situation now where I want to go with the P4ST for my Civic but will have to go down to 195s as they're not available in 205. What is your opinion / experience ?
Hi revvhed, as I don't drive the car on highways anymore, I can only comment on comfort and road noise. They are performing very well on these aspects. I really love the silence in the cabin compared to the horrible noise the MC5s used to produce. Also, for the Polo GT, 195 is still an upsize compared to the 185 tires that came stock. Not sure about Civic though. What was the original size that came in the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks