Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 19:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
It seems that the spacers from Swastikfabs is different form the others available in the market. These i think are fixed from behind the drum brake if I understand correctly.
The rear wheel spacers from rogeotech and swastik are decent ones. Both need the stock bolts to be knocked off from the brake drums and longer bolts installed (provided with the spacers). A simple job but not so much of a DIY one. If you are going for greater offset wheels, better avoid the spacers.

The SEs will feed you all sorts of BS, bearings aren't so delicate, but the spacers combined with wider offset wheels might increase the load on the bearings/axles. That also depends on what sort of load you carry on the rear of your thar and how much hardcore terrain the vehicle sees.

Rear spacers were the first things I went for, just couldn't tolerate the different track widths of the front and rear. The wider fender flares on the rear of the newer thars were making it look even more horrible. Mine hardly sees any load on the rear of the vehicle or too much rough terrains.
Old 24th October 2018, 19:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh_sg View Post
Kosfactor,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Yes I have booked my Thar & will be getting it in 1st week of Nov-18.
Awesome. Please ensure they do the PDI properly. Apart from the usual stuff, watch out for bolt holes under the rear seats that are supposed to be covered with a black tape sort of material, I found one missing and this will throw debris inside the cabin from the rear wheel well.

You can ignore the spot welds seen through the body, but I found paint defects on the metallic paints on one of them, especially near the Targa band. You can always ask for a different vehicle. Use mahindra`s SYOUV site and it shows you which dealer has stock of what color vehicle and how many numbers etc.

Since you are changing to alloys, keep all the wheel nuts. You can use 8 of the to raise the front driver seat (Its set low - some CMVR stuff IIRC), just need longer bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
I am currently running 31" Nexen Roadian MTs with 16"x 7.5J alloys on my 2013 Thar CRDe which is my daily driver and I am fairly happy with the performance of these tyres.

My usage is 70% City, 20% Highways and remaining 10% for Mild offroading, and being MT I have faced no grip issues on tarmac or offroad. I have done multiple long hauls with them, the longest being Chandigarh-Pune and they were up to the mark, only fly in the ointment being the excessive road noise on highways, which I have managed to covered up with a good ICE.

I have Clocked close to 62k Kilometers on my first set, and they look good for another 5k. Is this tyre life normal for MT tyres?

The car does tend to roll when cornered even at mild speeds, but that is characteristic of the Thar I Guess and Body on Frame chassis in general. Also the car tends to sway/wobble when taken over rumblers. Do the tyres have a major contribution to both these phenomenons?

I am considering ATs for my next change, but want to know whether they are as durable and rugged(in terms of mild offroading and puncture resistance)? Also how do they fair in terms of road noise?

Thanks
I usually change tires after 4 years, I observed that they tend to lose grip & comfort afterwards even if there is plenty of thread left. You seem to have maintained the MTs very well, they do not last this long usually.

For your usage AT tires will work well. Yes all AT tires are not the same, and the AT may denote All Season \ Tarmac or All Terrain. However there are plenty of offroaders running Geolandars, scorpions etc, so AT is a good bet.

Its usually the rear end that jumps around on rumblers on highways if taken at speed, this is normal and is less when rear is loaded.

There will be some roll, but if you feel its abnormal - Tire air pressure is the first culprit, try experimenting with this to see if that works. I feel due to the IFS set up , they had to move to 16 Inch to reduce some sidewall.

Hope this helps.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 20:10   #18

I have a 2015 Thar CRDe, the pre-facelift version with sloping rear canopy. Just like you I wanted to change the rims and tires. However what kept me off from these mods were BD sirs comments on the change in scrub radius due to change in rim offset or tire size. Please do some research on this term to help you with your decision.

Stock rims are 16", 6.5j and 160PCD. The maximum they can handle are 245 section rubbers. OE rubbers are 235 section, tried and tested on Thar and Scorpio. If you search in the forum, you can find BD sir's comments on 245 section tires being superior to 235 on OE rims.

Coming to offset rims. People go for offset rims as they are wider than 6.5j so as to accommodate wider tires and the offset helps in preventing the tire from fouling with suspension components during articulation or during full steering turns. Mostly people go for 8j or 10j rims with -30 or -35 offset.

Now coming to the drawbacks of offset rims. Tires with taller sidewalls on offset rims may foul with the front fenders or flares during extreme articulation. Offset rims alter steering geometry, so steering feedback changes. I know some owners who have disliked this change after switching over to offsets. The load point of the wheel on the axle(especially the rear) changes. I know at least 2 Thar Di owners who broke their rear right axle due to offset rims(assuming). CRDe has stronger axles but I'm not sure if they can take the unusual angle of load due to offsets. Last but not the least offsets are known to reduce bearing life. Offset steel rims are much heavier than stock OE steel rims, hence your brakes have to work harder.

One thing I liked about offsets is that they reduce body roll due to a wider track.

Coming to tires. Stock OE Bridgestone is the most suited tire as every component of the suspension, brakes and steering is tuned using this tire or rather for this tire. Road grip is excellent even over wet conditions. Offroad grip is OK over dry surfaces but one can easily get stuck in slush. Road noise is minimal. Grip during braking is also good. This is the best tire if your usage is 75% road and 25% off road.

I was extremely happy with OE Bridgestones but I always felt the lack of grip during M&M Great Escapes and I made a decision to switch over to AT's after 15000kms. I went for Continental Cross Contact AT 235/70/16 on OE rims. I'm very happy with change as the ride has become comfortable and pot holes less felt. Offroad dry and slush grip is also excellent. I have done 25000kms so far including an 8500kms trip to Ladhak, 5 OTR events and suffered only one puncture

I would highly recommend you to switch over to AT's on OE rims. You can check out Continental, Yokohama or Michellin brands.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 20:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
The rear wheel spacers from rogeotech and swastik are decent ones. Both need the stock bolts to be knocked off from the brake drums and longer bolts installed (provided with the spacers). A simple job but not so much of a DIY one. If you are going for greater offset wheels, better avoid the spacers.
Where can I get this done in Chennai.
Old 25th October 2018, 09:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Where can I get this done in Chennai.
Chennai has its share of 4x4 modifiers. There was a recent thread on the forum about front axle change of a thar crde, done in Chennai.

But if you don't want to approach those extreme modifiers, just about any competent FNG could do this. The bolts are not welded in place. Just need to hammer out the old ones and fix the new ones the same way.

To source anything, better contact the suppliers directly via mail or phone, they are usually willing to ship.
Old 26th October 2018, 11:08   #21
BHPian

Does having spacers for rear wheels with 6.5 j spec alloys have any issues.
Old 26th October 2018, 17:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

I usually change tires after 4 years, I observed that they tend to lose grip & comfort afterwards even if there is plenty of thread left. You seem to have maintained the MTs very well, they do not last this long usually.

For your usage AT tires will work well. Yes all AT tires are not the same, and the AT may denote All Season \ Tarmac or All Terrain. However there are plenty of offroaders running Geolandars, scorpions etc, so AT is a good bet.

Its usually the rear end that jumps around on rumblers on highways if taken at speed, this is normal and is less when rear is loaded.

There will be some roll, but if you feel its abnormal - Tire air pressure is the first culprit, try experimenting with this to see if that works. I feel due to the IFS set up , they had to move to 16 Inch to reduce some sidewall.

Hope this helps.
All Terrains would be my choice over the All seasons. All Terrains have smaller tread gaps when compared to MTs, and will directly reduce road noise and are almost as rugged. However I'm unsure if they come with a 31" configuration, I love the stance of the vehicle on MTs and have seen Thars on ATs that somehow seem to be a bit lower in height than mine, or is it just my brain playing games.

I'll Update more about the AT options available once the change is due, will need guidance on picking the better ones.

I run 33 Psi at the front and 31 Psi for the rear and My car is usually unloaded at the rear, so I am always extra cautious while going over rumblers, I guess that is the only feasible solution. As you suggested will try tinkling with the pressure to find that sweet balance.

Thanks.
damanbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 18:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does having spacers for rear wheels with 6.5 j spec alloys have any issues.
Before I rant about the technical stuff - Lets get the obvious out of the way. Wheel spaces are quite expensive for what they are , not much different from buying a wheel itself.

Wheel spacer Set of 2 is retailing at INR 8500 (Link below)
https://www.swastikfabs.in/index.php...product_id=383
That is 4250 per spacer.

Aftermarket Steel wheels Set of 5 is retailing at INR 23000 (Link below)
https://www.swastikfabs.in/index.php...product_id=326
That is 4600 per wheel.

If you are finding the rear wheel arch extensions(the plastic stuff) to be too wide after installing aftermarket alloys or steel wheels, the easy solution is to change it to Thar Mk1 style narrower wheel arch extensions, this mod is cheaper.

I am not sure of installing wheel spacers, I think its okay to use on a smaller vehicle but something this heavy, probably not , the wheel bearing will not survive for long and the possibility of wobbly rear wheels at high speeds, and the added weight of each spacer as well. A set of wheel arches are a cheap too.

Hope this helps!
Old 8th December 2018, 10:48   #24
BHPian

Thanks all for you help. Took delivery of my thar last month and upgraded the wheels and tires as mentioned below:

Alloy : Neo claw matte black OE spec
Tyre : Yokohama AT OE size
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img_20181109_0729551160x870.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img_20181109_0730261160x870.jpg  

rajesh_sg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 17:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please view the photograph below. I found the design of the alloy very intriguing. Could anyone list out the name and vendor for the same. This concave design with slanted openings for the wheel nuts looks very different.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-20181209_175018.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:53   #26
BHPian

For my Thar, I am deciding between
10J rims Yokohama 265 AT
Vs
8J rims Yokohama 235 AT

Can anyone tell me what will be the Pros and Cons ? 10J will obviously look massive, but not able the decide as the costs difference on the rubber is massive too.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 13:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post

Stock rims are 16", 6.5j and 160PCD. The maximum they can handle are 245 section rubbers. OE rubbers are 235 section, tried and tested on Thar and Scorpio. If you search in the forum, you can find BD sir's comments on 245 section tires being superior to 235 on OE rims.
It sure has been a while. I have the 2015 Facelift version, currently on stock alloys (Mahindra) - the ones that was featured in their brochure/manual. 0 offset, and should be 6.5J I guess. Currently running 235 mm, but thinking of going with 245 mm with my next tire change. There is still time, so I am just researching right at this moment.
Old 26th May 2021, 13:12   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar owners - does anyone have the old steel wheels ? 160 PCD

If yes, please message me. Thank you
Old 28th August 2021, 20:49   #29

I have 18 inch tyres stick should I go lower to make it look wider... I want my Thar 2021 to look broad and even with 18 inch wheels it looks taller but not broader
Wheel:

Please provide your valuable inputs.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got this shoe on to Thar CRDE (2017)?

Continental Conti Cross Contract 235/70 R16 106S Tubeless Car Tyre/OWL

Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-12212.jpg

Please share your inputs/feedbacks if so, any.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks