Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 13:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Tool, you need not long look beyond the ES100's. Theyre great all round tires in regards to performance, grip and tire life.
I too feel the same , GIII's are a bit more expensive and low on tyre life .
Old 7th January 2007, 14:28   #17
rks
BANNED

@aZa, I think you are using the 175/60/R 13 size on your Xing. When my stock-size S322 tubeless tyres were new, they didn't squeal either in my old Santro -- the benchmark is the sharp right-hand turn at the end of the Expressway on Pune side (near Dehu Road), which I could take at about 85-90 kmph without any noise. But now, after about 7000 kms of running I am starting to hear tyre noise if I try to take that corner above 80 kmph. I am certain that if I used 175/60 tyres, even the S322 tubeless (if available in that size) will not squeal while cornering. I honestly think that the GIII Potenza is overkill for the Santro (at least the 1 lit model), but you can use them to good effect on the kind of good roads that you are lucky enough to enjoy in Noida/Delhi. On the Pune/Mumbai roads I would not recommend a tyre of profile less than 65 for the Santro.

@shuvc, I think the wider the rim width (within the allowed range) the better will be the handling, especially cornering. So if you plan to do a lot of high speed driving on good roads, you can go for the wider rim width, provided they can be fitted on your car without any problems. But the ride will become worse with wider rims. Hyundai seems to use only the min. rim width as stock in most of its cars (e.g. 4J for the 155/70 R 13 tyres in my Santro). In general I think it is not a good idea to change the rim width too much (say more than 1J) from the stock rims as that may cause problems with the fit.

Last edited by rks : 7th January 2007 at 14:35.
Old 7th January 2007, 14:38   #18
BHPian

Tool, if you're looking for out and out performance why got go for 16" or 17" dia wheels on the Swift? Sure it will rattle your teeth but those large wheels look hot and with low pro tyres (45, 50 or 55) the grip will be better.
Old 7th January 2007, 14:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
@shuvc, I think the wider the rim width (within the allowed range) the better will be the handling, especially cornering.
Which means that with the lowest rim width, say 5.5 for 195's, the sidewall is more susceptible to flexing ? Will that tend to reduce tyre life and if at all it does, will it be a significant reduction ?
Old 7th January 2007, 14:56   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Which means that with the lowest rim width, say 5.5 for 195's, the sidewall is more susceptible to flexing ? Will that tend to reduce tyre life and if at all it does, will it be a significant reduction ?
I do not have any experience with the 195 tyres. But in general you can reduce the sidewall flex by increasing the tyre pressures for high speed driving. Bridgestone India reommends an increase of 5 psi above the manufacturer's recommendation for high speed driving. But this applies to the stock size tyres. If you have upsized to 195, my guess is that you can live with 5.5 J rims and still get a good tyre life provided you increase the tyre pressures appropriately, especially for high speed driving. People who have upsized to these tyres will be able to guide you on precisely how much pressure increase is required.

Last edited by rks : 7th January 2007 at 15:03.
Old 7th January 2007, 15:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
No 195's do not have a reduced tyre life when mounted on 5.5J rims. Wider rims change the performance characteristics of a tyre not its life. The life (provided you maintain the suspensions & tyres properly) remains more or less the same. A wider rim will allow a wider contact patch on the road whereas a narrower one will have a smaller contact patch hence the performance of the tyre will be effected not its life.

A rim size range for a tyre size is given so that a particular tyre size can be fitted to various categories of vehicles which may have differing ultimate objectives with regards to Grip, Tyre Life, performance etc. This gives the engineers the leeway to engineer the exact rim size & tyre size depending on various factors including but not limited to Performance, Suspension tuning, Percieved target market of the vehicle, Budget etc.
Old 7th January 2007, 18:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Battle of the two most recommended tyres in the forum....

Mods:
Can we have a poll?

KP
Old 7th January 2007, 20:54   #23
BHPian

yep.. i agree with you kpzen bro ....
modji's ....can we please have a poll ?
Thank you very much in advance.. !
Boom
Old 7th January 2007, 21:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
No 195's do not have a reduced tyre life when mounted on 5.5J rims. Wider rims change the performance characteristics of a tyre not its life. The life (provided you maintain the suspensions & tyres properly) remains more or less the same. A wider rim will allow a wider contact patch on the road whereas a narrower one will have a smaller contact patch hence the performance of the tyre will be effected not its life.
A wider rim gives a better grip for a different reason from mechanical point of view. When the wall height is less then the tyre has lower chances of buckling. Am trying to express my thoughts graphically but am not sure to what extent I can. Wider contact area can help the tyre real stretch across the rims . So a narrow rim can result in the tyre being a bit loose on the sides that eventually account for a higher wall height. So around corners due to this buckling action Tyres fixed with narrower rims show poor handling characteristics.Now Even though the tyres have similar contact area (road) , the buckling action kills the handling characters right ? (though the way I have pictured it it might seem am actully backing your theory which is partially correct )

Last edited by maxbhp : 7th January 2007 at 21:13.
Old 7th January 2007, 23:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

You're right but this would happen more on a tyre & rim combo which is hopelessly mismatched like fitting 195's on a 4.5J rim. If you use 195's on two sizes let's say 5.5J & 6.5J in both cases there would be no problems with buckling since both rims are in the recommended size range.

However, for optimal performance of the tyre 6 or 6.5 would be recommended as this would give the tyre ample space to spread out & widen the contact patch. Same tyre on 5.5 would have a marginally smaller contact patch hence a rounder side wall which will give you a trade off in performance but it would be marginal & also would hardly be detectable in low-powered cars like ours.
Old 7th January 2007, 23:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

The advantages i've come across with fat rubber on undersized rims is the ride quality is better n less chance of rim getting bend or cracked....

Last edited by kpzen : 7th January 2007 at 23:35.
Old 8th January 2007, 00:48   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
You're right but this would happen more on a tyre & rim combo which is hopelessly mismatched like fitting 195's on a 4.5J rim. If you use 195's on two sizes let's say 5.5J & 6.5J in both cases there would be no problems with buckling since both rims are in the recommended size range.

However, for optimal performance of the tyre 6 or 6.5 would be recommended as this would give the tyre ample space to spread out & widen the contact patch. Same tyre on 5.5 would have a marginally smaller contact patch hence a rounder side wall which will give you a trade off in performance but it would be marginal & also would hardly be detectable in low-powered cars like ours.
I think the sidewall flex in the 195 tyres with 5.5J rims, as compared to those with 6.5J rims, will be more pronounced in high-speed cornering, provided tyres are kept at the same pressure in both cases. So which of these rims one ought to prefer depends a lot on the condition of the roads and the preferred style of driving. If you are going to be driving on bad roads at not-too-high speeds, the 5.5J rims would be preferred as they would give greater ride comfort without too much loss in handling. I think generally car manufacturers in India (especially Hyundai) assume that roads are horrible and usually supply close to the minimum rim width as stock.

On the other hand, for high speed drives on good roads, the wider 6J or 6.5J rims will be preferred as they would substantially improve handling, especially in cornering at high speeds, without too much loss in ride quality. But one has to keep in mind that the wider rims would be heavier and so if upsizing from steel rims, go for the lighter alloys.

If, as in my case, both of these driving conditions are present, the solution is to keep the smaller stock rims and increase tyre pressures for the highway drives to compensate for the higher sidewall flex. For my Santro, Hyundai has supplied 4J rims, which are the absolute minimum for the stock 155/70 tyres. So I follow the practice of increasing tyre pressures for the highway.

Last edited by rks : 8th January 2007 at 00:50.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Battle of the two most recommended tyres in the forum....

Mods:
Can we have a poll?
If there is a poll, maybe it could be 3 way, with the Eagle F1 GSD3 thrown in.
Old 21st August 2008, 16:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
yep.. i agree with you on that Sirji.. the goodyears suck !! lol
well i have had yoko's on my pajero forever and no complains. and as you had recomended i had my bro pickup the new yoko geolanders for the pajero. He says they feel really good.
Umm id love to try out 2 different brands. only reason i wanted to get the same brand is cause then its just simpler to deal with any issues if any. Same dealer . just convinience i guess.
hmm im still confused.. hehehe. I was kinda leaning toward bridgestone because i wanted peace of mind. These goodyears dont last long at all.. The first 10 odd thousand Km they were super.. then they DIED !! lol
so yep.. i dunno what to do. Are the bridgestone G-III 's made in india or imported? i know the Yoko's are imported.Also what tyre would you rate as best in Wet conditions ?
Thank you for all your help.. Sirji
Big big Boom
Go for the Yoko Es100s thry have a amazing dry and wet grip looks nice too. and bridgestone g3s are now manufactured in India past 2-3 months .
My vote for ES100
Old 22nd December 2012, 14:52   #30

Re: Bridgestone GIII or Yokohama Avs ES100 for Swift And Esteem

Hi, in another thread here folks have mentioned facing issues with Yokohama es100...for my fiesta (2007 model) now facing dilemma between Yokohama es100 and A drive.
Is es100 old model?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks