Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:30   #1
BANNED

Best lube for tyre tubes?

Hi Everyone,

This is going to be an outdated question as I doubt many run on tubed tires these days, hence the reason for starting a new thread.

Usually when we replace the Tube or when we replace the Tire and Tube the guy at the tire shop sticks to using Talcum powder to negate the friction between the Tire and the Tube which prevents the tube from pinching.

I know that this is an age-old tradition but it has got me thinking, I've read cases where the talcum powder had clustered up causing long term damage to either the Tire or the Tube or to both.

So what all alternatives can be used instead of Talcum Powder?

Google did throw up Tire/Tube Lube but I was unable to find anything of that sort available here, hence I was thinking of alternatives and Vaseline did come to mind.

So is it a good option to use Vaseline instead of Tire Lube or are there any specific products I should keep an eye out for? Or worst case scenario should I stick the tradition of using Talcum Powder?

Thanks in advance,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:20   #2
BHPian

re: Best lube for tyre tubes?

I may be wrong but dosen't petroleum jelly degrade rubber? I have never had issues with all these years using the powder method. I think using vaseline etc may just make it very sticky and stuff in heat.
scorpian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I may be wrong but dosen't petroleum jelly degrade rubber? I have never had issues with all these years using the powder method. I think using vaseline etc may just make it very sticky and stuff in heat.
You're right and it does. Petroleum based products and jelly do have a negative effect on rubber components, especially o-rings, which are made of nitrile and the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is going to be an outdated question as I doubt many run on tubed tires these days, hence the reason for starting a new thread.

Usually when we replace the Tube or when we replace the Tire and Tube the guy at the tire shop sticks to using Talcum powder to negate the friction between the Tire and the Tube which prevents the tube from pinching.

I know that this is an age-old tradition but it has got me thinking, I've read cases where the talcum powder had clustered up causing long term damage to either the Tire or the Tube or to both.

So what all alternatives can be used instead of Talcum Powder?

Google did throw up Tire/Tube Lube but I was unable to find anything of that sort available here, hence I was thinking of alternatives and Vaseline did come to mind.

So is it a good option to use Vaseline instead of Tire Lube or are there any specific products I should keep an eye out for? Or worst case scenario should I stick the tradition of using Talcum Powder?

Thanks in advance,
A.P.
Go ahead, why invent the wheel again. Your talcum powder is cheap, doesn't add weight, plus it keeps things clean and dry on the inside. To your point about powder getting lumped or balled inside the tire has to do with the installation itself. When water enters the tire cavity when applying talc it tends to ball up due to the friction, but nothing serious per se.

These cysts over time dry due to heating up of the tire and get powderized for the most part. You ask some manufacturers, they don't even recommend the trick of using talc on tubes, how's that for an info.

It's an indian jugaad to make sure the tube is seated and rotated upon freely inside the tire without the tire and tube rubbing against each other.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

What about graphite powder ?
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:53   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
You're right and it does. Petroleum based products and jelly do have a negative effect on rubber components, especially o-rings, which are made of nitrile and the likes.

Go ahead, why invent the wheel again. Your talcum powder is cheap, doesn't add weight, plus it keeps things clean and dry on the inside.

It's an indian jugaad to make sure the tube is seated and rotated upon freely inside the tire without the tire and tube rubbing against each other.

Cheers!
VJ
Thank's guys, Vaseline has been completely ruled out.

As of now Talcum Powder is my go to option, it would be a few days before the tires reach me so I'm awaiting more ideas before finalizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
What about graphite powder ?
Not sure about how graphite powder would perform but from where can it be sourced?

I've seen a video that suggests the use of graphite powder to free-up hesitant key-locks and would be interested to give it a test.
Old 4th November 2018, 08:20   #6
BHPian

I think chalk powder was the preferred anti-sticking substance for tubes. Talc is not as good because it is generally a finer powder than chalk and it completely enters the crevices of the surface roughness of the tube and tyre. Chalk powder being coarser will not be completely "captured" by the roughness of the rubber.

Liquid lubricants such as oils or greases will allow the tube to move inside the tyre and strain the only thing holding it, the valve neck.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 4th November 2018 at 08:23.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 15:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best lube for tyre tubes?

Pencil leads are the most easily available source of graphite. You also get graphite dry lubricant sprays but I can't say how the propellant may affect the tyre
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:14   #8
BANNED

Hey guys,

An update, experienced a crazy rear slide today while taking a sharp turn and that was the end of it, rode to the nearest shop and got the tires changed, they did the job(Used Talcum Powder) while I cancelled the Timsun's I'd ordered.

Tires used were;
Front: Apollo ActiZip F2 80/100-17 (Stock is 2.75-17)
Rear: Apollo ActiGrip R1 3.00-17

The front tire is a TL used with a Tube as they didn't have the stock size in stock and I was left without any other options.

Total amount charged was 3350/- they didn't charge me for the new Brazza tube which had to be extra as the front tire was a TL model hence didn't come bundled with the tube like the rear tire.

Would buy and keep some chalk powder with me so that can be used the next time I change the tubes.

Thanks guys.
Old 9th March 2023, 12:09   #9
BHPian

Has anyone from the team, seen/used the below product?

Best lube for tyre tubes?-item1b.jpg

It is advertised as fine rubber powder for use in tubed tyres, manufactured by Mpover India, MIRF (?) (clever use of logo to look like MRF ?). Anyway, the MRF shops in Trivandrum has no clue of what it is

http://mpoverindia.com/products.html

Disclaimer : I am in no way related to the company.

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 9th March 2023 at 12:16. Reason: adding website link and disclaimer
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks