Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 13:35   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Bridgestone are really bad and you won’t enjoy the new car. Best is to exchange these ASAP, you will get a good value now but nothing after a few months. Find PS4S else PS4 regular tyres. Forgot the RFTs.
@Turbanator, checked with a few reputed tyre shops in BLR. Their advice is to live with the Bridgestones for the time being, as they are not committing to a buyback price. Reason (as per 3 sources) is that they barely sell even brand new tyres in this size, and nearly all customers are fussy and demand that they be shown to them brand new with stickering and factory packaging etc. As a result, the shops avoid buying even 25-50 km run tyres.

Again, they have only a few stray pieces of Michelin PS3 ZP available for ~18K each. Seems PS4 tubeless is already out of stock (COVID + import restrictions), and PS4 ZPs have not been officially introduced in India but is expected in a few months.

One of them promised to revert on the PS4S variant tomorrow.
Old 26th June 2020, 13:37   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
they barely sell even brand new tyres in this size, .
Call this guy- Karan - 99710 99239. He sources for me regularly and has been helpful to many other members as well.
Old 27th June 2020, 22:32   #93

Hey all

Insurance company has stuck to supplying tyre through vendor.

Went to the vendor today. Was advised to stick with RFTs, as other people have also suggested it's better to drive. Vendor suggested increasing profile by a bit on same alloys is not a problem, and is indeed advisable. So planned to go for 225/50/18 (instead of 225/45/18) on front and 245/45/18 (instead of 255/40/18) on rear.

Now, no Michelin RFTs available. So choice between Pirelli p07 and Bridgestone Potenza. Vendor advised Bridgestone, so chose them.

How they botched up the job was another ordeal. For three hours, they couldn't get the rubber up on alloys properly, saying their pressure equipment is not working properly. Then after three hours they said that maybe the two tyres they struggled with have gone out of shape because of heat,and they will get two new tyres to try tomorrow and they tried to put some old bmw spares on. On the accidental side, they were unable to just put the spare in. So they then said there is a mechanical shocker bend and damage too, which is not allowing any tyre, apart from small space saver, to be fitted. God only knows what has happened.

1. Wanted to know if the car hit the kerb slightly after tyre burst and I drove for like 10-15 odd kms on burst tyre and then 60 odd kms on space saver, are their chances of this mechanical shocker damage?

2. Now, I am also thinking how to trust the quality of Bridgestone RFTs they are supplying? Maybe I should reconsider this Bridgestone RFT plan.

I gotta go back tomorrow to the workshop again. Its a bloody pain!
Old 27th June 2020, 23:39   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit1984 View Post

Now, no Michelin RFTs available. So choice between Pirelli p07 and Bridgestone Potenza. Vendor advised Bridgestone, so chose them.

2. Now, I am also thinking how to trust the quality of Bridgestone RFTs they are supplying? Maybe I should reconsider this Bridgestone RFT plan.

I would seriously consider opting for the Pirelli P7s over the Bridgestone Potenza. You should look at tire reviews on dedicated sites such as tire rack that find the Pirelli's to be far superior.
Old 9th July 2020, 20:01   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit1984 View Post
Did you manage to solve your problem? Let us know?
Old 16th November 2020, 13:33   #96
BHPian

I am on a trip to Coorg, somewhat remote. I went over a pothole and as expected my tyre blew out. I own a X1 Msport 2019 model and the tyre is almost brand new given it has hardly been driven.

Given that I am now on a donut, called the bmw service center and they advised me to come back to Bangalore and make the change there. We are talking of driving ~250km on a donut and will keep speeds below 80 for sure. Will the donut survive or should I make a pit stop at Mysore and make a tyre change?
I need to check my insurance if tyre’s are covered? Any good /reliable tyre dealers in Bangalore?

Look forward to suggestions. I am driving back to Bangalore tomorrow.
Old 16th November 2020, 13:47   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I am on a trip to Coorg, somewhat remote. I went over a pothole and as expected my tyre blew out. I own a X1 Msport 2019 model and the tyre is almost brand new given it has hardly been driven.

Given that I am now on a donut, called the bmw service center and they advised me to come back to Bangalore and make the change there. We are talking of driving ~250km on a donut and will keep speeds below 80 for sure. Will the donut survive or should I make a pit stop at Mysore and make a tyre change?
I need to check my insurance if tyre’s are covered? Any good /reliable tyre dealers in Bangalore?

Look forward to suggestions. I am driving back to Bangalore tomorrow.
Please do not drive around in Coorg with Donut spare, change it in Mysore itself - Safety first.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 14:16   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need to check my insurance if tyre’s are covered?
If your car is less than a year old, then it would come with BMW Secure that will cover tire blow out.
Old 18th November 2020, 12:09   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am on a trip to Coorg, somewhat remote.
I am driving back to Bangalore tomorrow.
So how did things pan out? Do update as this is a common fear for RFT users.
Old 18th November 2020, 19:42   #100
BHPian

Quote:
So how did things pan out? Do update as this is a common fear for RFT users.
Called my BMW dealer and he suggested to first try at/near Mysore otherwise come back to Bangalore and get it fixed. I stopped at a tyre dealer on the way back to Bangalore, somewhere between Coorg and Mysore. They had all brands but no RFT's. I drove back to Bangalore on the Donut at speeds between 50-60 kmph. Took me much longer than usual to get home, however it was what I could think of best to get home.

As soon as I reached Bangalore, I drove straight to the showroom and had the tyre replaced with a new bridgestone RFT. The old one could not be salvaged.

So, in summary all well for now but was certainly not what I had hoped for. I would not recommend doing such a long drive on a donut, but I put it to the test and it survived 250 km.
shiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:29   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As soon as I reached Bangalore, I drove straight to the showroom and had the tyre replaced with a new bridgestone RFT. The old one could not be salvaged.
Was the tyre Pirelli Cinturato P7 which blew out or Bridgestone Turanza T001?

Do you have any pic of the damaged tyre?
Old 18th November 2020, 20:36   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would not recommend doing such a long drive on a donut, but I put it to the test and it survived 250 km.
Glad to hear that it ended well. Did you have BMW Secure by any chance so as to claim the depreciated tyre cost?
Old 19th November 2020, 09:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear that it ended well. Did you have BMW Secure by any chance so as to claim the depreciated tyre cost?
My BMW Secure package had just expired and therefore could not really use it. I have not yet signed up for this year . but now after his experience I think I will.
Old 19th November 2020, 09:40   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My BMW Secure package had just expired and therefore could not really use it. I have not yet signed up for this year . but now after his experience I think I will.
Oh. In that case, would it not have been cheaper to change the tyre outside?

Do you have to replace the Donut to? How much did it cost?
Old 19th November 2020, 17:19   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Oh. In that case, would it not have been cheaper to change the tyre outside?

Do you have to replace the Donut to? How much did it cost?
It may have been, but I did not want to drive with the donut any longer and wait until the next day. The dealership offered to change it immediately as they had the RFT in stock. I could have gone scouting to other dealers in around, but just went to the dealership near my place which was convenient.

It cost 30k inclusive of taxes and labor for the bridge stone 18 inch RFT. I did not have to replace the donut as it is still in good shape.
shiva75 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks