Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 21:48   #121

Re: 2018 BMW 320d - 5 runflats gone bad in 4 months!

Although, there is quite a bit of criticism for RFTs here I think quite a few havent faced any problem yet either and hence the dilemma. Its quite evident from both the contrasting experiences. I too right now am a believer in RFTs given my usage in the last 5yrs but I guess one waits for once bitten twice shy to take effect.
Anyways, after multiple rounds of discussions with known & unknown tire dealers, as well various people at the Navnit workshop & specific BMW after market guys (recommended by the only person I trust in the Navnit system), this is what am planning to do and then will take it as it comes

1.To get hold of after market alloys with the same pcd etc in this short span of time doesnt seem to be possible, so am going to eliminate carrying alloys & just the tubeless tires. This is off course based on a few conversations and reading up that the probability of the alloys being damaged during the tire burst if at all is low.

2. In terms of sizes the rear tire size of 285/45/R19 is not available (both used & new) in Mumbai except for 1 RFT in BMW which I will not be taking for sure. The front one (255/50/R19) used but in a very decent condition tubeless is available and so is a 275/55/R19 tubeless. So I would be carrying these two along. Unfortunately these two cant work properly both on the 9J (275/55/R19 may touch while turning) & 10J (255/50 R19 fit issues) Rims so this is the cumbersome option. I really dont have any boot space issue since there are two of us with one large bag each.

I have got contacts of couple of bigger tire guys in both Jaisalmer & Bikaner tomorrow, so will be calling them tomorrow. If the 255/50/R19 tubeless is easily available there then I will ditch lugging that tire with me.

3. There is another in between profile 265/50/R19, which is used on the Porsche, and will fit both on 9J & 10J w/o any issues. One can easily drive 500-600km slowly and reaching a city with BMW workshop & other larger tire dealers. So in the next couple of days if am able to trace this one then its a less cumbersome carry.

4. RFT tire changing machine - it seems very unlikely that I will be able to access this in Jaisalmer / Bikaner but all the guys here seem pretty confident that taking the damaged RFT off the alloy without damaging it will be possible for experienced tire guys there and putting a tubeless on it will be easy. Apparently nothing needs to be reset apart from the tire pressure monitoring system as well.

Overall given all the hours of reading up & discussing with various people will probably make me a bit more conscious when driving and I will avoid night driving on highways as much as possible. So lets see.

Anyways, thanks both of you for sharing your experiences. Will update once my trip is done.

Cheers!
Apurba
Old 7th June 2022, 08:50   #122
BHPian

Reviving this old thread as I've started to have issues with the RFTs on my F30 320i. In December 2021, one of the rear RFTs had a sidewall tear. Although I hadn't hit a pothole, I thought of it as a one time incident and simply replaced the tire. Yesterday, the same issue occurred on the front right tire. Again, no signs of any pothole damage and I had been cautiously babying around the car for the past few days. I have no idea what could have caused this issue and I am in a dilemma in what my tire choice should be :-

Option A) Replace the single tire with a new RFT. The current tires on the car are Pirelli Cinturato P7s (1 2016, 2 2017 *one with tear and 1 2021).

Option B) Buy an extra alloy and use the newly purchased (2021 RFT) as a full size spare and switch all 4 tires to Tubeless Michelin Pilot Sports 4,4S or 5 depending on availability.

The car is almost never driven long distance (all drives are usually within a 100kms) and my experience with RFTs has largely been good except for the current issues with tears. Should I go with Option B considering the aging tires or should I save my money since the tires have negligible wear?
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 12:17   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Reviving this old thread as I've started to have issues with the RFTs on my F30 320i.

Option A) Replace the single tire with a new RFT.

Option B) ...switch all 4 tires to Tubeless Michelin Pilot Sports 4,4S or 5 depending on availability.

Should I go with Option B considering the aging tires or should I save my money since the tires have negligible wear?
Hiya bud. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and go with option B.

I had tubeless Pirelli P-Zero's on my 328i (and before that on a Jetta), and on both cars they ended up developing bulges. I think their tyre compound is just too soft for India. Excellent performance vis-à-vis any other brand, but they really do lose out on longevity and durability.

I had something like 2-3 bulges in my Pirelli's over the last 2 years (admittedly when I missed a pothole or two at speed, but one of them was really a mystery to me). I switched to Michelin PS4's in December last year, and haven't had any issues since, touch wood.

Option A is surely the more prudent option, but I fear one of the older tyres too will give up the ghost on you at some point, hence why I suggest you switch entirely to tubeless for peace of mind.

I don't think you need to buy an entire alloy wheel as per option B either. That might just work out pricier, but get a quotation for it and see how much it costs. The problem with this approach is that it'll take up a lot of space in the boot, rendering it almost unusable.

Instead, get a space saver spare wheel, that's plenty good. I think it costs about 22-23k now, for reference. I've had to use it 2-3 times in the last few years, and it's been a lifesaver, without chewing up a lot of boot space.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 13:28   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Instead, get a space saver spare wheel, that's plenty good. I think it costs about 22-23k now, for reference. I've had to use it 2-3 times in the last few years, and it's been a lifesaver, without chewing up a lot of boot space.
One clarification; What tyre pressure you had on the space saver when you actually used it? Since it is a space saver, the pressure expected should be much higher than usual (32-33 PSI)
bhushan08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 13:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
One clarification; What tyre pressure you had on the space saver when you actually used it?
Yep, that’s right. It does need a lot more air to be filled. If I recollect, 60 PSI is recommended, since it just sits there for quite a while and will deflate over time.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 16:18   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, that’s right. It does need a lot more air to be filled. If I recollect, 60 PSI is recommended, since it just sits there for quite a while and will deflate over time.
60 PSI it is for the Space Saver Tyre (SST), and not because of the chance of gradual deflation, but because that puny 135/80 tyre will not be able to otherwise bear the 'load' usually borne by the 225++ biggies. Drastically low i.e. 'normal' pressures <40 PSI can cause a catastrophic failure of the SST itself. That is truly the last thing you want when you've already changed to the SST.

My advice is to ensure a monthly check and refill at a truck air shop. In my neighbourhood at least, the numerous car tyre shops inflate to a maximum of 50 PSI. All truck tyre shops can inflate it easily though.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 16:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you need to buy an entire alloy wheel as per option B either. That might just work out pricier, but get a quotation for it and see how much it costs. The problem with this approach is that it'll take up a lot of space in the boot, rendering it almost unusable.

Hey! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Pirellis. I considered buying an entire alloy because I'm able to source one for 10k and that is significantly cheaper than a space saver. My rare usage of the car's boot is for a golf kit which won't fit in either of the cases (full size or space saver).

Was the change to tubeless drastic enough (in terms of handling and comfort) when compared to RFTs to warrant a change in your opinion? I do see that 2 tires are now more than 5 years old but the tire guy is pretty confident that they seem okay and do not warrant changing. This is making me question whether the expenditure makes sense.
Old 7th June 2022, 17:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I considered buying an entire alloy because I'm able to source one for 10k.
Gotcha. That’s significantly cheaper than getting a new space saver then, makes sense to go for it and plonk a current tyre on it.

Quote:
Was the change to tubeless drastic enough (in terms of handling and comfort) when compared to RFTs to warrant a change in your opinion?
I never had RFT’s on the 3’er. The Pirelli’s were tubeless too. I have ridden in others RFT shod cars though, and there is a bit of a difference in ride quality. Enough for me to personally say I’d rather go tubeless.

Quote:
I do see that 2 tires are now more than 5 years old but the tire guy is pretty confident that they seem okay and do not warrant changing. This is making me question whether the expenditure makes sense.
How much tread is left on them? If it’s some time away and you’re struggling to rationalise the expense on a fresh set of rubber, pick just the one RFT for now and swap them all out later when the time comes. That would defer expenses a bit, and solve your dilemma for now.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 12:49   #129

Back on the forum after 5 years, to take some advice and give some.

5 year review of the Bridgestone R17 RFTs - I have completely worn them out, there have been no issues of bulges, tears on the sidewall or any such thing whatsoever. Long term review with BMW / Bridgestone RFT is positive. I do not know still whether the culprit was the size (18") or the brand (Goodyear), but I am happy and getting all 4 tyres replaced with new with the same brand.
anantc93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 14:40   #130

As fate would have it, right after my praise for BMW, their dealership ends up making a goof-up. Hoping to get some advice on the best way to fix this without shelling a bomb!

So when BMW downsized my alloys from 18" to 17", they chose 225/50 R17 as the optimal size, for all 4 wheels. They ran fine for 4.5 years. A couple of months ago, I had a small-ish accident on the front left side, which also damaged the wheel and tyres a little. Getting it under insurance, I got the tyre replaced with new. Next week my car was at the workshop again for something else, and my tyres were of age anyway, so I decided to get another one replaced (they had only one at the time in stock). So the left rear was also changed. This is not ideal, I know, but I'm temporarily living in another city so it didn't matter anyway. The car was delivered at home by the workshop because I was not home.

I returned to Delhi and the first order of business was to get the right side tyres changed. I am SHOCKED to find out that BMW put an incorrect tyre on the rear!!! They have put a 225/55 R17 tyre. I have driven a little and did feel uncomfortable slightly but never realized the problem could be this. I kept assuming this is because my right side tyres are worn out that's why the ride is behaving erratically.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks