Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:36   #1
BHPian

All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa

Request for some advice on AT tyres.

I am planning to buy Hexa 4x4 XT soon. The usage is primarily going to be in city/ on long distance drives to the hills. I won't be doing hard core off road stuff. However, would encounter lots of slushy/ muddy/ gravel trails (including steep upslopes with turns) in those drive to the hills.

So the usage is primarily going to be around 80-90% on road, and balance in bad roads as mentioned above. I am looking for some good AT tyres in the 235/70 R 16 size (trying to change the stock 19" tyres of Hexa to 16" ones).

What are the best AT tyres for a fair balance between ride comfort, durability, FE and offroad performance? The ones in my mind are Michelin LTX Force, Yokohome Geolander ATs, Continental Cross ATs and Pirelli ATs.

Also, I have tried to search for AT tyres in the stock 235/55/R 19 size. However, couldn't find any. Any suggestions in this tyre size?
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa

IMHO, your usage doesn't need all-terrain tyres at all. Plus, the Hexa is an AWD MPV at the end of the day, not a hardcore mud-plugging SUV. If I were you, I'd upgrade to nicer on-road tyres in the stock size itself.

However, if you are still keen on AT tyres, pick from the Michelin LTX or Yokohama Geolandar series. Both are my favourites.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:56   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, your usage doesn't need all-terrain tyres at all. Plus, the Hexa is an AWD MPV at the end of the day, not a hardcore mud-plugging SUV. If I were you, I'd upgrade to nicer on-road tyres in the stock size itself.

However, if you are still keen on AT tyres, pick from the Michelin LTX or Yokohama Geolandar series. Both are my favourites.
Dont you like Conti Cross Contacts? They look so rugged and aggressive!
They enhance the “mean and purposeful” look of a car a great deal.
I dont know how much “tyre flap” they’ll cause though, on normal highway use.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Request for some advice on AT tyres.

I am planning to buy Hexa 4x4 XT soon. The usage is primarily going to be in city/ on long distance drives to the hills. I won't be doing hard core off road stuff. However, would encounter lots of slushy/ muddy/ gravel trails (including steep upslopes with turns) in those drive to the hills.

So the usage is primarily going to be around 80-90% on road, and balance in bad roads as mentioned above. I am looking for some good AT tyres in the 235/70 R 16 size (trying to change the stock 19" tyres of Hexa to 16" ones).

What are the best AT tyres for a fair balance between ride comfort, durability, FE and offroad performance? The ones in my mind are Michelin LTX Force, Yokohome Geolander ATs, Continental Cross ATs and Pirelli ATs.

Also, I have tried to search for AT tyres in the stock 235/55/R 19 size. However, couldn't find any. Any suggestions in this tyre size?
My first hand experience with some AT tyres-

Pirelli Scorpion ATR- I had these tyres on my XUV-500 AWD. Car was used a lot for offroading and Jungle trails. Great performance overall. A new version Scorpion AT plus was launched few months back, they are also severe snow rated, I have no first hand experience with the same.

Yokohama Geolander AT G015- Most of our offroad group including me bought these, main factor was severe snow rating, excellent performance overall but sidewall gets damaged easily and starts cracking on its own, poor warranty coverage. I will switch to something else as soon as I can. I have lost 2 tyres within a year & 20k kms, others cars in our group have lost 3-4 tyres. Pathetic warranty coverage.

Continental Cross Contact- Good tyres but not suitable for Jungle trails, sidewall gets too many punctures.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd December 2018 at 12:52. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Yokohama Geolander AT G015- Most of our offroad group including me bought these, main factor was severe snow rating, excellent performance overall but sidewall gets damaged easily and starts cracking on its own, poor warranty coverage. I will switch to something else as soon as I can. I have 2 tyres within a year & 20k kms, others cars in our group have lost 3-4 tyres. Pathetic warranty coverage.
This post couldn't have come up at a better time. I was about to swap my Wranglers [just for the heck of it] in favor of the G015's and appears I will not.

While the warranty coverage for me would be good [friend has the dealership for Yokohama], I would not bother with a tire having weak sidewalls.

Appears, I will stick with Wranglers till BF Goodrich doesn't come in .
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Here's a newbie question for anyone with experience.

Is the Hexa XTA, which is a rear wheel drive able to climb steep hill roads with lot of boulders (some algae covered slippery) and gravel and the occasional wet patch with relative comfort and ease?

For reference, and for those who have visited Binsar (Almora), I'm talking about the steep road that takes you up to the Binsar Forest Retreat. When I visited, the only vehicles that were climbing the steep road to take tourists to the lodge were the Retreat's own AWD vehicles, which I think were either Thars or Gypsys.

Look forward to your guidance.
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have been running Yokohama Geolandar ATs on my Subaru Forester for the past couple of months and have clocked 4k kms with them. They are pretty impressive for what they are but I definitely think that next year's car budget for myself should include a set of proper road tyres as I am severely missing out on braking and traction that I am used to with soft compound rubber.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:28   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Yokohama Geolander AT G015- Most of our offroad group including me bought these, main factor was severe snow rating, excellent performance overall but sidewall gets damaged easily and starts cracking on its own, poor warranty coverage.
Yeah, good performance, but surprised to hear of the sidewall damage. 4 years up on my Jeep and no issues. No sidewall cracking either.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yeah, good performance, but surprised to hear of the sidewall damage. 4 years up on my Jeep and no issues. No sidewall cracking either.
I guess you are talking about G012, older generation ones. I am talking about newer G015, sidewall cracking is a big problem point, I have personally seen so many tyres failing in our group, all of them had more than 90% tread on them, less than a year old.

All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa-tyre-crack.jpg
This started with a fine hairline crack, slowly started getting deeper. Another crack started on same tyre. Another tyre had sidewall tear. Both are from my own Isuzu.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Here's a newbie question for anyone with experience.

Is the Hexa XTA, which is a rear wheel drive able to climb steep hill roads with lot of boulders (some algae covered slippery) and gravel and the occasional wet patch with relative comfort and ease?

For reference, and for those who have visited Binsar (Almora), I'm talking about the steep road that takes you up to the Binsar Forest Retreat. When I visited, the only vehicles that were climbing the steep road to take tourists to the lodge were the Retreat's own AWD vehicles, which I think were either Thars or Gypsys.

Look forward to your guidance.
Binsar and the nearby places were a piece of cake for my XTA running on a new set of the stock MRF Wanderers on the 19" alloys. I was there 2 weeks back.

The vehicle is capable of a lot more, especially if you arm it with proper all terrain tires like Yoko Geolander on 16" rims.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:21   #11
BHPian

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. I was trying to do a swap of the stock 19" tyres to 16" ones at the dealer itself, whilst buying the car. However, as expected, that has not worked out.

So, I am going with the stock 19" tyres for now, at which size there are practically no options available other the mrf ones.
Old 5th December 2018, 22:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. I was trying to do a swap of the stock 19" tyres to 16" ones at the dealer itself, whilst buying the car. However, as expected, that has not worked out.

So, I am going with the stock 19" tyres for now, at which size there are practically no options available other the mrf ones.
I got a new set of 19" Wanderers last month. There is absolutely no other option in the stock size but one - Pirelli Scoprion ATR (LR cobranded) and that costs like 26k apiece. I will switch to 17" once this set wears out as by then, the warranty would have expired.
Old 5th December 2018, 22:41   #13
BHPian

How many kms did your first set last? Did you face any sidewall damage issues?
Old 6th December 2018, 00:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How many kms did your first set last? Did you face any sidewall damage issues?
50000km. Sidewall bulges were a part and parcel of the experience, ultimately leading to back to back sidewall failures on a trip. This was the immediate cause of replacement. Otherwise, the tread was still good for another 10k km. The new rear right has already developed a little bulge in less than 1000km of use. This is unavoidable. Heavy car, low profile tires, Indian roads. Doesn't work.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 06:32   #15
BHPian

So were these tyres replaced under warranty? What pressure do you maintain? Do you have a TPMS? I was told that maintaining pressure above 34 psi helps.

Most Viewed