Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2007, 13:12   #61
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
I use 6.5JJ alloys... So then i'll keep 28psi, and just in case it falls, i'll fill air in it.
OK. I think with those wide rims on low profile tyres your ride will become harsh on bad roads if you increase tyre pressures too much. So you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Your specs are more suitable for good roads.

My suggestion would be to look out for uneven wear -- if you find more shoulder wear (i.e., at the edges as compared to the centre of the tyre) then an increase in tyre pressures would be warranted.
Old 1st March 2007, 22:13   #62
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So let me re-iterate this once again for everyone's benefit:

[...]

2. Pressures - You should run what you find comfortable on your wheels. If at any point of time you feel that the ride is too bumpy or too relaxed change the pressure downwards or upwards respectively & then decide the exact pressure for your preferences. Also do a visual check regularly to see that none of your tyres is underinflated.

[...]
Good summary, iraghava. I would like to add only one thing to point No. 2 quoted above. The visual inspection should also cover the tread pattern/sidewalls to catch any damage/nails/uneven wear. In particular, uneven wear can indicate either underinflation or overinflation or alignment problems, depending on the wear pattern.
Old 1st March 2007, 22:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

Consider two tyres....
High Profile tyre
145/70-13 Sidewall -101.5mm
Low profile tyre
205/50-15 Sidewall -102.5 mm

Now in this case High profile tyre has lesser sidewall....

My Observation
145/70-13 is a zen carb tyre size for which mostly available tyres are MRF,JKtyre n Apollo, Bridgestone 322.......These tyres havent caused ppl too much problem with bulging n sidewall tear issues...

205/50-15 is an upsize for lot of car n for which u get a lot of options to buy from like Michelins , Yoko etc N this size has more sidewall (jus 1mm though)
But lots of ppl are having issue of sidewall bulging n tear...

Reasons:
Only reason i see here is the tyre compound.....Yokos n Michelins are more performance oriented n have softer compound than JK n MRF tyres...Which give more Grip n handling but disintegrates faster when put to test on great Indian Roads

Correct me If i'm wrong..!!!
Old 1st March 2007, 23:31   #64
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Consider two tyres....
High Profile tyre
145/70-13 Sidewall -101.5mm
Low profile tyre
205/50-15 Sidewall -102.5 mm

Now in this case High profile tyre has lesser sidewall....
Fine. But note that the low profile tyre is of much greater width. It is the *profile*, i.e. the ratio of height to width, that is crucial in deciding the stress on sidewalls. The wider tyre will have greater deformation of sidewalls in cornering assuming it is at the same pressure as the high-profile tyre and on the same size rims. Of course the low-profile tyre would presumably be fitted on wider rims, which would help in controlling, but not eliminating, the higher sidewall deformation.

Sidewall height is also important in the sense that there should be a minimum height to prevent the wheel from getting damaged in any impact with potholes/stones, etc. I think both tyres are just about OK in that sense.

But I would expect the low profile tyre to have a lesser life unless it is inflated to higher pressure and/or fitted with wider rims--- in which case the ride will be harsher (with improvement in handling). Of course what you pointed out, namely the low profile tyres having softer rubber, could well be a factor here.

Last edited by rks : 1st March 2007 at 23:42.
Old 5th April 2007, 02:43   #65
BHPian

Do you mean bridgestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Yup, it makes sense to change tyres after 4-5 years.

I realised the importance when we used old GIIIs/G Grids during our track day outing. The diff in traction between those tyres and the GIIIs on my Vtec was massive.

Moreover, tyre wear depends on how they are being used. I was told by the tyre dealer) that the GIIIs would last for about 30-35k kms. 15k kms down the line, the tyres still look brand new. I'm pretty confident they'l go all the way to 50k kms.

Shan2nu
shan do you mean bridgestone g3 by writing GIII
Old 5th April 2007, 02:49   #66
BHPian

are you using it in front

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
I have 40+ K km's on my GIII (OHC) and they still have enough thread for another 15K minimum. They are not THAT hard compound either.

Gears,
Red-One.
By g3 do you mean bridgestone g3 and are you using it on front wheels.
Old 5th April 2007, 02:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
shan do you mean bridgestone g3 by writing GIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
By g3 do you mean bridgestone g3 and are you using it on front wheels.
Yes, by GIII they are referring to the Bridgestone Potenza G3.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

First hand experience of tubeless tyres for me.

My rear right tyre got punctured thanks to a 1 inch knife like metal object.

Took not more than 2 mins to fix. The best part is it had been 4 days since the puncture and the tyre never gave up

my many thanks to the guy who invented tubeless
Old 5th April 2007, 15:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
my many thanks to the guy who invented tubeless
Well thank P.W. Litchfield of the GoodYear Tyre Company for inventing & patenting them in 1903!!!

Most Viewed