Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2019, 23:36   #1
BHPian
 
Tamarind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 343 Times
Default My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Hi Bhpians,

I recently had to change tires for my Santro and visited LAL tires in chennai since their name popped up in the list of suggested dealers from official Apollo website (did some searching in teambhp as well and got a neutral feeling based on users experience)

Called them up before starting from my house asking for the following
  1. Availability of 4 tires of said size and category
  2. Production was on 2019
  3. Price of buyback for my old tires which had decent tread on it
The dealer promised me end of 2018 batch since 2019 is tough to get and promised me good price for buyback on seeing the condition of tires

After reaching there and introducing myself (in continuation to the telephonic conversation), the dealer initially gave me a quotation on a sticky note sized plain paper writing the figures in pencil for 4 tires + wheel balancing + alignment

The price was the same as conveyed over the phone, but then started the uglinessHe had asked the keys to the vehicle saying they need to park it inside first. (Sounded normal since it was parked infront of his shop and there was another car waiting inline). I gave the key but in parallel asked to see all 4 tires first

1. After some wait, they brought 4 tires and the dealer looked at the dates (or acted so) and said - yes sir, end of 2018 batch. I requested to see and the dates were indicating April 2018 for one & June 2018 for others. I asked him as though i didn't know how did he calculate that - and he teaches me saying see this number indicates December 2018

2. Then i asked isn't it June 2018, he took a calculator as though he missed a big calculation and then said yes - but it's perfectly ok. And shows me a sticker from his shop which says "tires are not bananas to get spoiled in days"

3. Things running on my mind - i took a leave from office to get this done and its already half a day over. Other dealers whom i had inquired (the entire Saturday) did not have 4 tires ready to just walk in and get it done. (Sunday being an holiday, i took a leave on Monday to get this done) Finally decided to proceed despite his BS

4. Then asked him to take a look at the old tires, and he outright rejected saying there is no business value in old radial tires. Just for my satisfaction he will give 200/- for all 4 tires. If not convinced, i can take my old tires along with me

Since time was a major factor for me to search for another shop / take the old tires with me and search for a shop to sell them, i changed to the new set, left the old ones with him, came out with a big exhale of breath !

Determined to never suggest or visit the shop again. Been a month or so since this happened but was able to write about it just now only for the reason that it might help somebody here now or in the future !

Lesson i learned : Plan these well in advance and have the time on our side so that we can back off when we detect such BS and look for alternatives

I will leave it up to you, whether you want to share the lesson i learned form here or getting a taste for yourself when you visit LAL tires in person.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2019 at 09:01. Reason: Strictly no posts on Team-BHP discounts
Tamarind is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 23:58   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,352
Thanked: 2,281 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Thanks for the heads up but I am of opinion that onus of this bad experience lies with you. What stopped you from walking out of the shop at the very first instance of knowing that the dealer is a liar, he misrepresented the facts repeatedly. He was not polite enough for someone whom you are giving business.

You only mentioned that decent amount of tread was remaining on your car's tires. I am sure you could have survived with the old ones till the next holiday/leave.

Letting pepole walk over you this way, not done.
BANDHAV is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 06:52   #3
BHPian
 
Prodigy07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 672
Thanked: 590 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Hi Bhpians,
Hi, thanks for the heads-up.

BTW, which Lal's is this?

There are couple of shops in the same stretch with same name owned by the same family.

I believe you are talking about the one next to EA mall with huge Apollo tyres hoarding?
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 08:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 13,502
Thanked: 9,994 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

@Tamarind, the dealer's point about no value for old tyres may be correct. They used to pay earlier, but apparently the cheap chinese tyres have changed the demand now. People who used to take re-treads now are said to buy new cheap chinese. (Most taxi guys who ply within city? )


Second point I'd mention in many cases is - when we call a shop, or even when at a shop, the shop keeper will NEVER say NO for an answer. We need to decode his words. Here you dont know each other personally, and he gave you his generic answer. Did you take his answer as a verbal contract ?


And regarding the June dates - well, Michelin itself has put up that poster - so not much one can argue about it.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 08:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,556
Thanked: 9,849 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Sorry, but there isn't any fraud here.

First things first, I don't quite understand the need for point no. 3 and 5. No reason to expect a great experience just because you took off a day from work vs. a day when you're not working. Also, there's no obligation for anyone to give a discount because you're a member here. I guess these two points made everything sour for you.

A lot of vendors try to pass off slightly older stock, be it batteries or tyres. If you weren't happy with the stock vintage, walking away would have helped you avoid the misery. Also, 200 rupees buyback for old tyres isn't unsurprising; I got somewhere between 100 and 250 for the tyres I've replaced on my cars.

Yes, the guy was unprofessional in communicating the vintage but that's more or less a common thing.
libranof1987 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 08:38   #6
BHPian
 
Tamarind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
What stopped you from walking out of the shop at the very first instance of knowing that the dealer is a liar, he misrepresented the facts repeatedly. He was not polite enough for someone whom you are giving business.

You only mentioned that decent amount of tread was remaining on your car's tires. I am sure you could have survived with the old ones till the next holiday/leave.

Very true, going in with time pressure is always a sign of bad deal i guess. The pressure was due to the step-nee tire being non functional due to a cut and i drive highways everyday (and never comfortable without a good step-nee on highways). Spent 3 days including a work day on leave and if i had to take the car again to the highway it was going to be either by replacing 1 step-nee tire or replacing the complete set.

Complete set seem the better choice for stability and worry free for next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi, thanks for the heads-up.

BTW, which Lal's is this?

There are couple of shops in the same stretch with same name owned by the same family.

I believe you are talking about the one next to EA mall with huge Apollo tyres hoarding?
The one which appears on your right side, once you just pass the EA mall on whites road

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Tamarind, the dealer's point about no value for old tyres may be correct. They used to pay earlier, but apparently the cheap chinese tyres have changed the demand now. People who used to take re-treads now are said to buy new cheap chinese. (Most taxi guys who ply within city? )

Second point I'd mention in many cases is - when we call a shop, or even when at a shop, the shop keeper will NEVER say NO for an answer. We need to decode his words. Here you dont know each other personally, and he gave you his generic answer. Did you take his answer as a verbal contract ?

And regarding the June dates - well, Michelin itself has put up that poster - so not much one can argue about it.
I did see some tires in shopping sites online. The difference was almost 50% of what i had to pay with Apollo. But skipped them since never knew the reliability of it on highways. Are you suggesting that if its going to be only inside city - those are worth a try ?

Yes - i took the shop owners word when he said 2019 is not available but November/December 2018 is available. Told him i had to travel more than half an hour to get there and asked him to confirm - he shouted some names and asked them for availability and replied to me Yes it is available and asked me to come down.
Additionally, got disappointed when he tried to educate me on the markings stating its end of 2018 when the number said its not

Don't know much about tires, when you say "Michelin itself" - you mean Michelin is a superior brand on tire manufacturing and sales compared to others ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
First things first, I don't quite understand the need for point no. 3 and 5. No reason to expect a great experience just because you took off a day from work vs. a day when you're not working. Also, there's no obligation for anyone to give a discount because you're a member here. I guess these two points made everything sour for you.
Thanks for the reply sir, but that was not my point of disappointment.
I could have walked away, but had covered why i did not in another reply above.

On the other side, what's wrong in expecting good experience when there is an exchange of value which is mutually beneficial for both the parties involved ?

Last edited by SDP : 11th March 2019 at 09:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Tamarind is offline  
Old 11th March 2019, 09:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangaloooru
Posts: 2,743
Thanked: 7,004 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

@Tamarind,
This is not fraud. This is just a shopkeeper trying to sell you old tires which you have gone ahead and purchased it inspite of knowing the truth. So just take it in your stride and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
On the other side, what's wrong in expecting good experience when there is an exchange of value which is mutually beneficial for both the parties involved ?
Well, everyone's out to make a buck. The learning is in the experience and acting accordingly. You should have just walked out. That's the ideal answer to such a negative experience.

The below three lines from @libranof1987 and @bandhav completely sum up your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Sorry, but there isn't any fraud here.
...
Yes, the guy was unprofessional in communicating the vintage but that's more or less a common thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Thanks for the heads up but I am of opinion that onus of this bad experience lies with you.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 09:53   #8
BHPian
 
asingh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 378
Thanked: 487 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

This happens: Since for many vendors and boorish outlets customer service is just a word to hang above the divinity in the shop.
Yesterday I got my tires changed. On Friday, I met the owner and told him my intent: I will come Sunday 3:00 PM, and want "all-5" changed to xxxx R14. Yes, yes sir. Sure. We have stock.

I called him on Saturday to confirm, my intent. Yes, yes sir. Sure. We have stock. I reached Sunday, to start the job. Yes, yes sir. Sure. We have stock.

This is where the story begins:

The car is jacked on the hydraulic bridge and 4 tires are removed. The spare tire is removed too from the boot. The specialist tells me, we can continue to use the spare tire, since it is fine. I said, no change that too.Oh (in between -- you changing five tires?), and removes the tire. Suddenly an Endeavor pulls up behind my car, and honks like crazy. 4 tires are thrown out! LOL! It was clear there is no 5th tire. I calmly told the owner this (who I spoke with). Yes, yes sir. Sure. We have stock. Dhyaan nahin raha (I did not remember about 5). What more can one say. I shouted a bit at the guy, and he made frantic phone calls.

Waited one hour and the 5th tire came. Guess how.On a motorbike, around the rider. Sigh.
asingh1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,931
Thanked: 2,498 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

I changed four tyres for my Alto on Dec'25th at the Apollo tyre dealership in Chromepet. The tyres were July'18 manufacture. I had changed four tyres for a relative's Zen at the same shop the previous day, and they were Dec'18 tyres.

When I questioned him he said though same size and brand, the Zen tyres were tube type which are fast moving. I wanted tubeless for the Alto, which he said are not so fast moving in 12 size. I was very particular about trying out tubeless tyres and accepted them. I don't think six months make a big difference.

I was not given anything for my old MRF tyres either, which were in very good condition though 2009 make, which was the only reason I was changing them. He said I can take them with me and sell at some tyre repair shop which I was not inclined to do.

Did you seriously expect a discount just for dropping Team-Bhp name? Come on!

Last edited by SDP : 2nd May 2019 at 17:16. Reason: As requested
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AU
Posts: 2,117
Thanked: 4,469 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Time to update/clarify on the TBHP membership benefits

Membership doesn't automatically apply Entitlement, Blackmail, instant gratification coupon codes.

Tip: Show your knowledge on stuff rather showing which group you are a member of.

Also what is the significance of being so pedantic about the manufacturing month? It's 2018 after all.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:38   #11
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 587
Thanked: 568 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Also what is the significance of being so pedantic about the manufacturing month? It's 2018 after all.
Just asking, please don't shoot me. Won't tires get harder with time? We are talking about 6 months in Chennai heat ?
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:54   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 68
Thanked: 62 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

6 months is too little time for any kind of deterioration.If it is constantly exposed to sunlight for 2 years the damage to rubber compound would be far greater.
BeingHuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:07   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,931
Thanked: 2,498 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Just asking, please don't shoot me. Won't tires get harder with time? We are talking about 6 months in Chennai heat ?
Nothing happened to my car's old tyres despite being parked open to sky for over nine years! What is six months inside the shop or warehouse!

They are also dealers for Michelin and he told me had I wanted Michelin tyres, I can't get anything newer than 6-12 month old because they sell even less.

Last edited by Gansan : 11th March 2019 at 13:11. Reason: Add content.
Gansan is offline  
Old 11th March 2019, 13:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 13,502
Thanked: 9,994 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Just asking, please don't shoot me. Won't tires get harder with time? We are talking about 6 months in Chennai heat ?
A new tyre comes with a fine layer of coating, and the tyre is still in a warehouse. Not stored in open air. So that part was still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Nothing happened to my car's old tyres despite being parked open to sky for over nine years! What is six months inside the shop or warehouse!
You could get those tyres checked in a lab for their hardness - to compare with the hardness of a new tyre.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:16   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,931
Thanked: 2,498 Times
Default re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You could get those tyres checked in a lab for their hardness - to compare with the hardness of a new tyre.
Tyre becomes harder for sure. That is a given, whether the car is in Chennai, Bangalore or Ooty. I meant there were no cracks or damages.
Gansan is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks