Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2019, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Govt extends anti-dumping duty on alloy wheels imported from China, Thailand & South Korea

The government of India has extended the anti-dumping duty levied on select 4-wheeler aluminium alloy wheels that are imported from China, South Korea and Thailand for another 5 years. The move aims to safeguard the interest of domestic manufacturers.

Govt extends anti-dumping duty on alloy wheels imported from China, Thailand & South Korea-formulagold17x8.jpg

According to a Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) notification, aluminium alloy road wheels (ARWs) of diameters ranging from 12-24 inches imported from the aforementioned countries will be charged a duty of US$ 0.08-2.15 per kg.

As a result of the anti-dumping duty, imports from these countries have reportedly declined, however imports from other countries more than doubled in FY2017-18.

The government had levied an anti-dumping duty on imported ARWs from China, South Korea and Thailand in April 2014. It was due to expire on April 10, 2019 and therefore a petition was filed by Synergies Castings and Kosei Minda Aluminum Company seeking an extension.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 10:02   #2
BHPian

re: Govt extends anti-dumping duty on alloy wheels imported from China, Thailand & South Korea

Anti-Dumping?

But shouldn't I get a choice, if I'd like to buy imported one's or Indian?

On my recent trip to Thailand, I was amazed to walk into a tyre shop and see the the gazillion choices they gave in alloy designs, finishes and colour. Again the origin of manufacturing wasn't just Thailand but from all over the world.

Why is our country so fearful of competition or am I missing something?

Last edited by Zappo : 5th April 2019 at 14:27. Reason: Typo corrected
lionell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:57   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Govt extends anti-dumping duty on alloy wheels imported from China, Thailand & South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
But shouldn't I get a choice, if I'd like to buy imported one's or Indian?
You should and you do get a choice. Just that they'll be a bit more expensive.

Quote:
Why is our country so fearsome of competition or am I missing something?
It's not competition, it's dumping we're afraid of.

End of the day, I'm all for high import duties. My philosophy is = If you want to sell it here, build it here. Local manufacturing brings investments, skills & jobs.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 14:34   #4
BHPian

Re: Govt extends anti-dumping duty on alloy wheels imported from China, Thailand & South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
End of the day, I'm all for high import duties. My philosophy is = If you want to sell it here, build it here. Local manufacturing brings investments, skills & jobs.
To add to this, there will be accountability and ownership when manufactured domestically and also provides opportunity to grow in the trade.

Last edited by sumathindra : 5th April 2019 at 14:34. Reason: edits
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks