Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 18:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

So our 2017 Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic has done a good 36k kms and is now due for a tyre change. The OEMs are Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 235/60/R18.

Mercedes apparently have different brands of tyres as OEMs for the different segments of their cars. For example the SUVs come with Pirellis and the sedans with Continental. Mercedes claims that the the Pirellis are recommended for their SUV as they are the best suited for off roading.

I am personally not happy with the Pirellis and find them a bit hard on the ride. Can anyone suggest if I should stick to Pirelli or look at other brands?
Old 12th April 2019, 09:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

So 235/60 R18 is not really a common size. You will have to see what is available and then take a call. The ride might be a tad stiff if your Pirellis are MOE tyres. MOE is kind of like runflat, except it can be used for about half the distance which runflats can, on no pressure.

I think you should be able to get a set of Michelins, probably Lattitudes in your size. Do take a look.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 09:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree, even I find the ride on our GLC300 hard because of these same Tyres. Moreover, they are runflats so they are bound to be on the stiffer side.

I would suggest go in for regular tubeless Tyres, the Michelin Primacy 3ST are your best bet. My 2018 CRV same with these and the size is exactly the same in the GLC too. There is a HUGE difference in the ride quality of both cars, prime reason is that Honda’s suspension setup is tuned to comfort but the Tyres also play a role in this.

I’m sure this size and tyre are available in the market, if not you can take an unusual route and source them from a Honda dealership as they are OEM for the CRV and they probably import them directly
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
So 235/60 R18 is not really a common size. You will have to see what is available and then take a call. The ride might be a tad stiff if your Pirellis are MOE tyres. MOE is kind of like runflat, except it can be used for about half the distance which runflats can, on no pressure.

I think you should be able to get a set of Michelins, probably Lattitudes in your size. Do take a look.
Yes they are MOE tyres but not runflats as mentioned by the service adviser so you are probably right. I checked the Michelin website and the only option in this size are the Lattitude Sport 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I would suggest go in for regular tubeless Tyres, the Michelin Primacy 3ST are your best bet.
As per the Michelin website Primacy 3ST are not available in this size.
Old 12th April 2019, 16:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The OEMs are Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 235/60/R18.
I recently downsized 19 inches on my X5 to 18 inches and am using Michelin - 255x55x18. Cost around Rs 18000 here in Delhi and can recommend if comfort and noise is your priority. Cannot comment on life as it's too early.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th April 2019 at 16:36.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 17:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

These are options that seem to be available in the market.
Source : Cardekho tyres page

Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread-tyres.jpg

Out of these, I'd pick the Michelins eyes closed.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 19:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they are MOE tyres but not runflats as mentioned by the service adviser so you are probably right. I checked the Michelin website and the only option in this size are the Lattitude Sport 3.
MOE is a runflat tyre.

MO is Mercedes Official. E is Extended. That means runflat.

235/60-18 LS3 is a good model but it isnt a runflat. You need to keep a donut tyre or a full size spare for long journeys. I personally would get a donut and change all 4 to LS3.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 13:51   #8
VSD
BHPian

Re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:

I can vouch for the LS3 for being one of the best out there, very quiet and pretty good in wet conditions. I'm going onto my second set of the same for my Audi Q5. They have been so much better than Pirelli's I had earlier which were really noisy and tread life was not more than 35k. Michelin's LS3 is really good and having completed almost 45k on these I believe they still have about 5k more to go.
Old 30th April 2020, 00:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
So our 2017 Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic has done a good 36k kms and is now due for a tyre change. The OEMs are Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 235/60/R18.

Mercedes apparently have different brands of tyres as OEMs for the different segments of their cars. For example the SUVs come with Pirellis and the sedans with Continental. Mercedes claims that the the Pirellis are recommended for their SUV as they are the best suited for off roading.
Hello Epic,

Digging up an old thread. Do you have any update on this? Which tires did you select?
Old 30th April 2020, 11:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Which tires did you select?

Look no further than Sports-4, it comes in your size at a very competitive price.

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...ot-sport-4-suv

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2020 at 11:05.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Hello Epic,

Digging up an old thread. Do you have any update on this? Which tires did you select?
Hi. Went in for the Michelin Lattitude Sport 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Look no further than Sports-4, it comes in your size at a very competitive price.

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...ot-sport-4-suv
This must be a recent introduction for SUVs as they weren't available a year or so ago.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my Polo 1.6 though and they are fantastic!!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This must be a recent introduction for SUVs as they weren't available a year or so ago.
Yes, these are brand new and absolutely best. Similar to their sports car Pilot Sports 4S.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2021 at 16:57. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 5th November 2021, 16:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Went in for the Michelin Lattitude Sport 3
Hi Epic, hope you are doing well. We recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on our 2017 GLC 220d.

Can you tell me at what psi is your tyre running? The tyre shop from which we installed recommended 36psi(nitrogen), but I feel it's on higher side. Didn't have a chance to drive it yet as I'm out of town.

Last edited by Sandeep M : 5th November 2021 at 16:41.
Old 18th November 2021, 19:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep M View Post
Hi Epic, hope you are doing well. We recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on our 2017 GLC 220d.

Can you tell me at what psi is your tyre running? The tyre shop from which we installed recommended 36psi(nitrogen), but I feel it's on higher side. Didn't have a chance to drive it yet as I'm out of town.
Hi Sandeep M,
A coincidence really as we just change our tyres to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV last week. I believe we are running on 35 psi, but let me reconfirm this.

Most Viewed