Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 18:56   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 659 Times
Default Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

So our 2017 Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic has done a good 36k kms and is now due for a tyre change. The OEMs are Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 235/60/R18.

Mercedes apparently have different brands of tyres as OEMs for the different segments of their cars. For example the SUVs come with Pirellis and the sedans with Continental. Mercedes claims that the the Pirellis are recommended for their SUV as they are the best suited for off roading.

I am personally not happy with the Pirellis and find them a bit hard on the ride. Can anyone suggest if I should stick to Pirelli or look at other brands?
Epic is offline  
Old 12th April 2019, 09:49   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10,139
Thanked: 10,368 Times
Default re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

So 235/60 R18 is not really a common size. You will have to see what is available and then take a call. The ride might be a tad stiff if your Pirellis are MOE tyres. MOE is kind of like runflat, except it can be used for about half the distance which runflats can, on no pressure.

I think you should be able to get a set of Michelins, probably Lattitudes in your size. Do take a look.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 09:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,947
Thanked: 5,148 Times
Default re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

I agree, even I find the ride on our GLC300 hard because of these same Tyres. Moreover, they are runflats so they are bound to be on the stiffer side.

I would suggest go in for regular tubeless Tyres, the Michelin Primacy 3ST are your best bet. My 2018 CRV same with these and the size is exactly the same in the GLC too. There is a HUGE difference in the ride quality of both cars, prime reason is that Honda’s suspension setup is tuned to comfort but the Tyres also play a role in this.

I’m sure this size and tyre are available in the market, if not you can take an unusual route and source them from a Honda dealership as they are OEM for the CRV and they probably import them directly
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 659 Times
Default re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
So 235/60 R18 is not really a common size. You will have to see what is available and then take a call. The ride might be a tad stiff if your Pirellis are MOE tyres. MOE is kind of like runflat, except it can be used for about half the distance which runflats can, on no pressure.

I think you should be able to get a set of Michelins, probably Lattitudes in your size. Do take a look.
Yes they are MOE tyres but not runflats as mentioned by the service adviser so you are probably right. I checked the Michelin website and the only option in this size are the Lattitude Sport 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I would suggest go in for regular tubeless Tyres, the Michelin Primacy 3ST are your best bet.
As per the Michelin website Primacy 3ST are not available in this size.
Epic is offline  
Old 12th April 2019, 16:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,502
Thanked: 14,960 Times
Default re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The OEMs are Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 235/60/R18.
I recently downsized 19 inches on my X5 to 18 inches and am using Michelin - 255x55x18. Cost around Rs 18000 here in Delhi and can recommend if comfort and noise is your priority. Cannot comment on life as it's too early.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th April 2019 at 16:36.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 17:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,326
Thanked: 6,508 Times
Default re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

These are options that seem to be available in the market.
Source : Cardekho tyres page

Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread-tyres.jpg

Out of these, I'd pick the Michelins eyes closed.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 19:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 8,717 Times
Default re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes they are MOE tyres but not runflats as mentioned by the service adviser so you are probably right. I checked the Michelin website and the only option in this size are the Lattitude Sport 3.
MOE is a runflat tyre.

MO is Mercedes Official. E is Extended. That means runflat.

235/60-18 LS3 is a good model but it isnt a runflat. You need to keep a donut tyre or a full size spare for long journeys. I personally would get a donut and change all 4 to LS3.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 13:51   #8
VSD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 209
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes they are MOE tyres but not runflats as mentioned by the service adviser so you are probably right. I checked the Michelin website and the only option in this size are the Lattitude Sport 3.

I can vouch for the LS3 for being one of the best out there, very quiet and pretty good in wet conditions. I'm going onto my second set of the same for my Audi Q5. They have been so much better than Pirelli's I had earlier which were really noisy and tread life was not more than 35k. Michelin's LS3 is really good and having completed almost 45k on these I believe they still have about 5k more to go.
VSD is offline  
Old 30th April 2020, 00:36   #9
BHPian
 
nitrogary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So our 2017 Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic has done a good 36k kms and is now due for a tyre change. The OEMs are Pirelli Scorpion Verde in size 235/60/R18.

Mercedes apparently have different brands of tyres as OEMs for the different segments of their cars. For example the SUVs come with Pirellis and the sedans with Continental. Mercedes claims that the the Pirellis are recommended for their SUV as they are the best suited for off roading.
Hello Epic,

Digging up an old thread. Do you have any update on this? Which tires did you select?
nitrogary is offline  
Old 30th April 2020, 11:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,502
Thanked: 14,960 Times
Default Re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Which tires did you select?

Look no further than Sports-4, it comes in your size at a very competitive price.

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...ot-sport-4-suv

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2020 at 11:05.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:27   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 659 Times
Default Re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Hello Epic,

Digging up an old thread. Do you have any update on this? Which tires did you select?
Hi. Went in for the Michelin Lattitude Sport 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Look no further than Sports-4, it comes in your size at a very competitive price.

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...ot-sport-4-suv
This must be a recent introduction for SUVs as they weren't available a year or so ago.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my Polo 1.6 though and they are fantastic!!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,502
Thanked: 14,960 Times
Default Re: Mercedes GLC-Class : Tyre upgrade thread

[quote=Epic;4796479
This must be a recent introduction for SUVs as they weren't available a year or so ago.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, these are brand new and absolutely best. Similar to their sports car Pilot Sports 4S.
Turbanator is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks