Team-BHP - The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/209732-worst-looking-oem-alloy-wheels.html)

What do you think are the worst looking OEM alloys? Here’s my list:
1. Mahindra Marazzo (M6 variant)
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-1.jpg

Source: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...JM3wLMDTzphNk4
No intentions of copying.

The top of my list. The pre facelift Elite i20 Asta (2017?) also had an uncannily similar design too.

1. Hyundai Elite i20 (Asta (O) variant)
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-2.jpg
Competing with the Marazzo alloys.

2. Mahindra XUV500 (W11(O) variant)
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-3.jpg
These just look terrible! However, I liked the pre facelift alloys (now available on the W11 variant).

3. Jeep Compass (Limited Plus variant)
Eek! These alloys look absolutely grotesque! Perhaps it is the colour and design.
Incidentally, I loved the design of the Limited alloys but did not like the design of the Longitude rims (not hate). A Jeep thing perhaps?
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-4.jpg

4. The erstwhile S-Cross (Zeta and Alpha variants)
Perhaps, the most hated alloy wheel design of all time! It is shocking how similar they look to the erstwhile Swift/Dzire wheel caps (of the V variant). Thankfully, the facelift brings much better alloys (but an uglier face!)
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-5.jpg

I noticed a trend: The alloys of these cars were much better looking in the other variants. For example, the alloys of the Compass Limited are much better than the alloys of the Compass Limited Plus (again, just my opinion). What do you think?
Let the games begin!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Tyres & Rims Section. Thanks for sharing!

You know, I actually like the Marazzo M6 rims & i20 Asta O's. Agreed on the Compass & S-Cross though.

From the recent launches, I find the Ertiga's & CR-V's alloys to be the most boring & character-less. Manufacturers should pay more attention to wheels as they can make or break a car.

Ertiga:

CR-V:

Scorpio S11 Alloys compared to the previous gen S10 are as bland as hospital food !

This might become one of those threads where every OEM wheels might get featured. To be honest looks are subjective, most of the wheels listed by the OP might appeal to some.

Pramod

My vote goes to the pre-facelift Baleno's alloys and the pre-facelift EcoSport alloys-

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-162385.jpg

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-148200.jpg

(Image source: Official reviews)

Cheers!

Here are some of my picks.

1. Tata Harrier - One of the laziest alloy designs currently in the market and they very much hamper the look of the car.
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-orcus-white-side-view.jpg

2. Tata Nexon - Again bland and almost cartoon-ish looking wheels.
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-slide1.png

3.Maruti Ciaz (1st gen) - Booooring! However the facelifted model has better ones.
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-marutisuzukiciazwheelstyres57705.jpg

4. VW Vento - Though VW cars come fitted with some of the classiest alloys, these particular ones on the Vento were confusing.
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-volkswagenventokonektreview.jpg

Although I feel nothing will ever be able to beat the original S-cross alloys. Boy were they hideous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche_guy (Post 4603528)
My vote goes to the pre-facelift Baleno's alloys and the pre-facelift EcoSport alloys-
Cheers!

Actually, we decided to drop the EcoSport from our shortlisted cars 2.5years back while we were shopping for a Punto replacement, mainly because of this design of alloy wheels It has 54 sides to clean in addition to hub. :)

We bought the post-facelift EcoSport later, with a simpler alloy design last November. The one that comes with the T+ petrol automatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbaz906 (Post 4603531)

4. VW Vento - Though VW cars come fitted with some of the classiest alloys, these particular ones on the Vento were confusing.

These were available on the TSI variants only. IMO the ones on the MPI and TDI variants were one of the classiest yet simplest of designs to have come out in the recent past from any carmaker.

Name:  2012VolkswagenVentoAlloyWheel.png
Views: 16520
Size:  448.6 KB
(Source: carblogindia)

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbaz906 (Post 4603531)
3.Maruti Ciaz (1st gen) - Booooring! However the facelifted model has better ones.

Other than the pain one has to go through to keep these alloys clean, they actually look beautiful on the Ciaz.

I wanted these on my earlier car, Swift ZDi. One member (BHPian Sankar) has done and it IMHO looks outstanding.

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-20150208_075229.jpg

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-20150208_101657.jpg

Guess opinions on alloy designs vary from people to people :). Of all the designs shared above, only the Baleno, S-Cross, Vento TSI and Jeep Compass' doesn't cut in for me.
And I believe the Elite i20, Ecosport, Harrier and Ciaz comes with one of the classiest wheels around.

A thread like this is highly subjective - we cant comment on a users dislike for a certain design simply because its his/her subjective opinion.

At least for every bad design shared if we can have an example what that user thinks is a good design we will have some perspective.

eg: the Ciaz wheels are quite good looking - surprisingly from Maruti of the S-Cross fame.

similarly the Marazzo design shared is much better than their premium wheel design and also echoes a legendary design.

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-mclarenf1.jpg

Ahh.. there a ton out there I guess!

Of my Buys, the terrible of the lot was the initial versions of 4th Gen Honda City (Pic. from T-BHP Review)
The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-honday-city-alloys.jpg

:Frustrati A design I absolutely hate even on something used as a humble beater!

Quote:

Originally Posted by artemis_fowl (Post 4596842)
What do you think are the worst looking OEM alloys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4603443)
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Tyres & Rims Section. Thanks for sharing!

I have a very strong feeling that we already have a thread on this topic. I just can't seem to find it though. :Frustrati

In any case, here is my list:

Toyota Baleno

Name:  Baleno.png
Views: 15599
Size:  223.9 KB

Suzuki Glanza

Name:  Glanza.png
Views: 15435
Size:  293.0 KB

Honda Civic - This legend surely deserved much better alloys, but Honda just messed it up big time.

Name:  Civic.png
Views: 15406
Size:  322.4 KB

Hyundai Venue - Hyundai are one of the few manufacturers who almost always get the rim design right. But IMO, they seem to have gone a bit overboard this time.

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-venue.png

Skoda Superb Sportline - Looking at the Octy RS, I was definitely expecting a lot when Skoda announced the Sportline variant on Superb.

Name:  Superb.png
Views: 15478
Size:  116.7 KB

The latest trend in OEM alloy wheel design is 50% Black and 50% Silver color combination. Example:

The worst-looking OEM alloy wheels?-venue.jpg

Looks like BHPians do not like this new trend.

Total number of "bad designs" submitted so far: 21
Number of alloy wheels with black & silver combination: 9

BHPians also don't seem to like simple/plain 5 spoke designs. Personally, I find such designs likeable. Easy to clean too, unlike multi-spoke busy looking "sporty" designs.

Hyundai generally designs wheels and wheel caps tastefully.

With the Ciaz and the latest Ertiga, I personally feel Maruti is designing great looking wheels.

The worst looking (although solid) alloys used to be from Maruti(worst of the lot being the five spokes on the 2004 and 05 Baleno, followed by those on the first gen S-Cross).

Design and safety wise, there was this horrible Mahindra Alloy for the XUV500 which was shaped like a flower, and there have been big failures on those wheels.

JWL spec multispoke alloys generally add a lot of character to the car; and are a timeless design.