Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 14:57   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@dhanushs: I think you should stick to the same size all around.
185/65 all around, or 185/70 all around.
Also, it is advisable to put the better tyres in the rear, as I believe that it helps with the braking, as rear brakes are usually weaker than the ones in front.
Do correct me if I am wrong.

lamborghini: Regarding your suggestion that rear tyres should be more grippy'r - As a matter of fact, my current rear tyres are really, really worn out. But still upon very hard breaking I can hear only the front wheels screech which are far more stickier(no rear wheel screech). So I guess I need more grip up front where the weight acts upon and the breaks are disks. So if the grip upfront is less tyres screech upon breaking.

The effect of having a worn out less gripier rear tyre is - as far as I have noticed - oversteer during sharp continuous turns with braking. The rear really steps out of line. (Actually I enjoy oversteer than understeer, and yes I agree it becomes a bit too much sometimes).

Regarding your suggestion about having the same sized tyres all around - Yes, I too like the idea very much, but then I was planning to go 185/65 or 185/60 all around after my current front set of 185/70 wears out. The problem is that the 185/70 have atleast 10k kms of thread left in them.

So I was asking if there is any problem with me riding the 10k kms with 185/65 or 185/60 up front and 185/70 on the rear??..

Also what are the pros and cons of a 185/60, 185/65 tyre from a 185/70 one(R13)??..

Please help me choose the right set.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:23   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2010 at 16:34.
dhanushs is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th July 2010, 03:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2010 at 16:34.
Old 4th July 2010, 11:41   #34
BHPian

go for 185/70 all around. it should give you enough grip and comfort (sidewall height is higher).

why do you need to go for 185/65 or 60?
Old 5th July 2010, 02:44   #35
BHPian

Is it possible: Yes.
Is it safe to t-bhp style driving: No
Is it safe for spirited city driving: No
Is it safe for driving on rough/semi-rural/bad roads: No
Is it safe for 'normal' city driving: Yes
Is it safe for slow highway driving: Yes

Disclaimers are if you driving within any city, you would not be able to get up to speeds high enough to be able to push the limits of the imbalance the tyres create in the suspension. Of course with you thinking of +20 mm/+10 mm/= mm, you drive with 4 people (1 person=70 kgs), and you drive at 80+ and you will seriously be risking yours and a percentage of Indian lives. :P with those differences, drive slow (not more than 60-70), with 3 people in the car and you might actually be able to drive over 300 kms at a stretch without any problems, but alter any factor by more than 25% and you will be inviting disaster.

PS: I did this same thing in college '02 with a M800 and radials in the back and nylons in the front (student budget in Delhi) when i was driving from Delhi to Jaipur with 4.5 friends (one of my friends weighed in at 45 kgs ), and tractor dude came ripping out of a break in the median and i slammed on the brakes and the car spun like Messi on the Jabulani. :P I have never dared it again!
Old 5th July 2010, 14:09   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Is it possible: Yes.
Is it safe to t-bhp style driving: No
Is it safe for spirited city driving: No
Is it safe for driving on rough/semi-rural/bad roads: No
Is it safe for 'normal' city driving: Yes
Is it safe for slow highway driving: Yes

Disclaimers are if you driving within any city, you would not be able to get up to speeds high enough to be able to push the limits of the imbalance the tyres create in the suspension. Of course with you thinking of +20 mm/+10 mm/= mm, you drive with 4 people (1 person=70 kgs), and you drive at 80+ and you will seriously be risking yours and a percentage of Indian lives. :P with those differences, drive slow (not more than 60-70), with 3 people in the car and you might actually be able to drive over 300 kms at a stretch without any problems, but alter any factor by more than 25% and you will be inviting disaster.

PS: I did this same thing in college '02 with a M800 and radials in the back and nylons in the front (student budget in Delhi) when i was driving from Delhi to Jaipur with 4.5 friends (one of my friends weighed in at 45 kgs ), and tractor dude came ripping out of a break in the median and i slammed on the brakes and the car spun like Messi on the Jabulani. :P I have never dared it again!

I understand that having variable size tyres is not advisable, but then what are the effects of having 185/60 or 185/65 all around than having 185/70.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:03   #37
BHPian

186/60 or 185/65 means lower sidewall height, lower gc, less comfy ride. You will feel the bumps/potholes more. go for 185/70. it will provide same grip as of 185/60 or 185/65 with better comfort..
Old 6th July 2010, 20:45   #38
BHPian

since 185, the width of tyre will be the same in all these all will provide the same amount of grip. Handling will remain same.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:33   #39
BHPian

Re: Is it possible to fit two different size of tyre?

Bumping up an old dormant thread ...

I have a Figo which has done 32,000 kms. I did a tyre rotation 2 months back and had the almost new spare tyre go on the front right. The tyres are the stock 175 / 65 R14. A few days back, this almost new tyre had a nasty cut and it cannot be repaired.

I would like to upgrade to 185 / 65 R14 after another 10,000 km (there is quite a bit of tread left) but now I have this situation. In the meantime, my brother replaced his Swift stock tyres 185 / 70 R14 with some tread left.

Surfing T-Bhp, I landed on this thread so I am wondering: Can I put two 185 / 70 R14 for the Figo's rear axle and keep the 175 / 65 R14 for the front axle for another 10,000 km before I upgrade all to 185 / 65 R14? The car is mostly driving very sedately in the city and we do a few spirited drives on the highways once in a few months.

All help appreciated.
My thanks in advance.

ps: I am thinking of junking the cut tyre and putting a 185 / 70 R14 in the spare wheel. But the above idea caught my imagination so would like Bhpians views
Old 28th March 2014, 12:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is it possible to fit two different size of tyre?

For all practical purposes, its very much doable. One of my friends has run his Qualis with different tyre sizes diagonally opposite (imagine!) for close to 2 years. He still owns that green qualis and there has never ever been any issue w.r.t. suspension.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks