Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 09:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have hr alloys on my alto and some jd one son my zen (at that time alloys were not common)till now no problem with my both pair of alloys
Old 15th March 2007, 16:02   #47

I would swear by HR (taiwan) alloys. Have been using them on my scorpio for a year and half. Just recently bought another pair of HR for my innova. Aura are dull and boring for me.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7585/pict0019mi7.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2539/pict0021or7.jpg

Have also seen a few Swifts with HR wheels. Looks awesome.
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:42   #48

I am planning to buy a Scorpio. For Alloy wheels I was planning to use Aura, but the Salesman is saying that do not use anything other than M&M since warranty on suspension will go. In his experience suspension goes bad because of using anything other than M&M and it could become a problem.

Is there any truth about not being able to use Aura in Scorpio?
Would appreciate any quick response.
Old 22nd March 2007, 23:24   #49
BHPian

Have you guys considered, Rota they are made in the Philippines, and are very cheap. There are lots of Japanese Hi Brands I can name.

I've used Volk Racing, SSR, Prodrives. These rims are way nicer and are similar quality to OZ, BBS. You might want to look into forged wheels, as they are stronger then your regular set of wheels. Magnesium Wheels are also a higher end of Racing wheels and can get very expensive.
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmDaWg View Post
Have you guys considered, Rota they are made in the Philippines, and are very cheap. There are lots of Japanese Hi Brands I can name.

I've used Volk Racing, SSR, Prodrives. These rims are way nicer and are similar quality to OZ, BBS. You might want to look into forged wheels, as they are stronger then your regular set of wheels. Magnesium Wheels are also a higher end of Racing wheels and can get very expensive.
I know most these brands but problem is due to our duty structure & lack of interest from quality manufacturers these rims are not really affordable in India. We would like to use good, high-quality alloys but unfortunately they are not easily available here & hence we have to compromise & use lower-quality Taiwanese & Chinese alloys. To give you an example a good Taiwanese brand in 14" here costs about $60-70 a piece but a similar OZ costs about $180-200 a piece!
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I know most these brands but problem is due to our duty structure & lack of interest from quality manufacturers these rims are not really affordable in India. We would like to use good, high-quality alloys but unfortunately they are not easily available here & hence we have to compromise & use lower-quality Taiwanese & Chinese alloys. To give you an example a good Taiwanese brand in 14" here costs about $60-70 a piece but a similar OZ costs about $180-200 a piece!
That seems about right I paid roughly $700/wheel for my 18" wheels. You can get a set of rota wheels for about $1000/ for a set 17" of wheels.
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:38   #52
BHPian

You have to remember that the GTR wasn't made in North America. Not alot of parts are interchangable for it. However most of its aftermarket source comes from Japan. So almost every part I buy is imported from Japan. I have to go through the same importation hastle that you might. I pay about 30% in duties for the items, and 14% taxes.
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:22   #53
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh26 View Post
I am planning to buy a Scorpio. For Alloy wheels I was planning to use Aura, but the Salesman is saying that do not use anything other than M&M since warranty on suspension will go. In his experience suspension goes bad because of using anything other than M&M and it could become a problem.

Is there any truth about not being able to use Aura in Scorpio?
If you go for aftermarket alloys like Aura, you need to make sure that the offset of the alloys matches that of the stock wheels. If there is a substantial difference, the suspension components and wheel bearings will be stressed and may have a lower life. Unfortunately the people who sell aftermarket alloys are not aware of these issues and will try to hard-sell whatever stock they may have in hand. In that sense the salesman is right; if you have the alloys supplied by M&M, they will match all the critical parameters (offset, PCD, hub diameter) and will be a safe choice.

But if you take pains to match the specifications of the aftermarket alloys carefully with those of the stock wheels, then there is no harm in going for these.
Old 25th March 2007, 07:55   #54
BANNED

Quote:
If you go for aftermarket alloys like Aura, you need to make sure that the offset of the alloys matches that of the stock wheels. If there is a substantial difference, the suspension components and wheel bearings will be stressed and may have a lower life. Unfortunately the people who sell aftermarket alloys are not aware of these issues and will try to hard-sell whatever stock they may have in hand.
So for example, if someone wants to buy alloys for Swift VXi, is it better to source it from the dealer since ZXi already comes with alloys ?
Old 25th March 2007, 11:14   #55
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
So for example, if someone wants to buy alloys for Swift VXi, is it better to source it from the dealer since ZXi already comes with alloys ?
I would personally prefer the alloys supplied by authorized dealers; that would be a safe option and your warranty also will not be affected. Assuming, of course, that the Vxi has the same wheel specs as the Zxi, you need not worry about any mismatch in that case. I am told that the alloys supplied by authorized dealers would be more expensive than aftermarket alloys, but it would be worth it, in my opinion. But if you are upsizing your tyres to the point where wider wheels will be needed, you may need to go for aftermarket alloys; I think there are T-BHP threads devoted to alloys for Swift.
Old 25th March 2007, 11:28   #56
BHPian

Aura a safe bet for Maruti cars..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
If you go for aftermarket alloys like Aura, you need to make sure that the offset of the alloys matches that of the stock wheels. ....

But if you take pains to match the specifications of the aftermarket alloys carefully with those of the stock wheels, then there is no harm in going for these.
Not sure about M&M, but as far as Maruti is concerned, I think it is very safe sticking with Aura alloy wheels. I was looking for a set of Alloys for my Wagon R. While I would have loved to get HR or Prestige alloys (they sure do look a lot better), it was very difficult to get them where I live, so I had to "compromise" for a set from Aura. Before zeroing on the Auras, I asked the Maruti Showroom for the alloys they had and they said they had a set for Rs 16,500 (all inclusive). When I asked them who manufactures their alloys, they said Aditya Birla Group. Incidentally, Aura is one of the subcompanies of ABG - so basically it is the same stuff Maruti sells, but the design is a bit different, so as far as PCD, offset, quality, etc., is concerned, I think Aura is a very safe bet.

That said, if you can crosscheck the PCD, offset, and hub diameter of the foreign alloys, and provided of course that they are of a reputed brand, I think they are as good as any Indian alloys - in fact they would be better - better make and finish. The only problem (if at all) would be replacement of one of the pieces if ever you need it.
Old 25th March 2007, 11:29   #57
BHPian

Aura a safe bet for Maruti cars..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
If you go for aftermarket alloys like Aura, you need to make sure that the offset of the alloys matches that of the stock wheels. ....

Not sure about M&M, but as far as Maruti is concerned, I think it is very safe sticking with Aura alloy wheels. I was looking for a set of Alloys for my Wagon R. While I would have loved to get HR or Prestige alloys (they sure do look a lot better), it was very difficult to get them where I live, so I had to "compromise" for a set from Aura. Before zeroing on the Auras, I asked the Maruti Showroom for the alloys they had and they said they had a set for Rs 16,500 (all inclusive). When I asked them who manufactures their alloys, they said Aditya Birla Group. Incidentally, Aura is one of the subcompanies of ABG - so basically it is the same stuff Maruti sells, but the design is a bit different, so as far as PCD, offset, quality, etc., is concerned, I think Aura is a very safe bet (at least for Maruti cars)

That said, if you can crosscheck the PCD, offset, and hub diameter of the foreign alloys, and provided of course that they are of a reputed brand, I think they are as good as any Indian alloys - in fact they would be better - better make and finish. The only problem (if at all) would be replacement of one of the pieces if ever you need it.
Old 27th March 2007, 17:02   #58
BHPian

Even plati wheels are doing good now a days. My red swift looks pretty on those wheels.
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:22   #59

hey guys,

any ideas how the wire wheels made by Wheels India Ltd are?
compared to alloys?..what's the difference?
i saw them and they look really good...apparently meant for export for jaguar, MG, etc...how much do they cost?
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetu View Post
Even plati wheels are doing good now a days. My red swift looks pretty on those wheels.
Chetu please share the website link to the PLATI's officail website.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks