Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 19:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest you have a walk around good alloy shops around your place and get in touch with the shop guys for the wheels. take theirr numbers if required and be in touch with them. they will definitely sell you off the rims since they pay peanuts to original owner and charge 500 to 1000 more from you for the entire set of 4 or 5 rims.. you can take any car wheel as long as it is new and 14 inches & 5j or more. it will serve your purpose. take all 4 new tyres, the price difference between tube and tubeless is negligible, compared to the increase in safety. go for yokohamas c drive or es100. check their web for other designs., they are good.
Old 3rd March 2007, 02:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

forgot to mention that be sure the rim supports tubeless tyres like swift ones.
Old 5th March 2007, 11:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys... I went for Turanza 185/70/R13 ..

Hey guys...even i own a OHC and it was a due for a tyre change...so i decided to go for Bridgestone Turanza ER60 "185/70/R13"...almost decided to go for the Potenza GIII but decided against as the Turanza is a alround performer...

My usage consists of mostly hiway...and you cant predict what kind of roads one will face in interior parts.. so i was looking for a tuff kind of tyre which can take a bit of ruff patch too..since Turanza's r double layerd and has sidewall protector i felt it suits my usage...

Also guys just curios to know that how will a tube tyre will perform agains tubless on a bad road?? some people say that tube tyres are safer on bad rodas..is this true??

And Sankreeth how much did you buy your 1.5 OHC for??
Old 5th March 2007, 15:01   #49
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Also guys just curios to know that how will a tube tyre will perform agains tubless on a bad road?? some people say that tube tyres are safer on bad rodas..is this true??
Tubeless tyres do constitute a risk on really bad roads. They could get deflated due to bending of steel rims if you hit a big pothole hard at high speed. Alloy wheels will not normally bend, but they could crack on bad roads if you don't drive carefully.

Three tips :

(1) For your 185 sized tyres, make sure you have at least 5J width rims (see the rim width calculator).

(2) Maintain your tyre pressures via regular checks.

(3) Drive carefully on bad roads.

Oversized tyres (w.r.to rims) and low tyre pressures should be avoided, to reduce the risk of your tyre coming off the rims in a high-speed impact with a pothole or a stone. I have had no problems with stock-size tubeless tyres on steel rims for the last 6 months -- I keep these overinflated by 4-5 psi for the highway. The tubeless tyres seem to be quite robust and I have already had a couple of low-speed impacts with stones (no damage). But the real test will be the bad roads this monsoon season.
Old 5th March 2007, 23:07   #50
BHPian

hi lohithrao,
i am glad that you too have a OHC, after getting it i thought how happy would all the owners of this car would be because its very good machine.
i got this 2001,heather mist colored 60k driven for 3.5L.
Old 5th March 2007, 23:12   #51
Team-BHP Support

lohithrao, how do you find the turanzas. I was waiting for someone elses opinion on the turanzas.

I have them on my lancer and I found them to be satisfactory. not very performance grippy but has lesser noise.

Sankeerthreddy, have you got the tyres? Have you been driving without a spare for so long?
Old 6th March 2007, 12:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hey sankeerth...3.5 is a good price...is urs a 1.5??

Hey Vid... GIII is a performer on good roads...great breaking ability....but driving comfort and noise is higher....where as ER60 is kind of allrounder....also bit tuff guy compared to GIII....more comfortable and low on noise....i had a mrf tube tyre which was in a bad shape previously after the change it feels great...so am yet to discover how good this tyre is..but am sure any product from bridgestone would be same or better when comapered to other brands...

& rks some great info thr...thanx dude
Old 6th March 2007, 22:47   #53
BHPian

hey vid , i got the stock s322's for the car. as many seniors posted to get the tyres with the same grip and tread pattern.so i thought not to get in trouble even after many experienced have suggested.
lohit rao, mine is 1.5 exi.
Old 6th March 2007, 23:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankeerthreddy View Post
hey vid , i got the stock s322's for the car. as many seniors posted to get the tyres with the same grip and tread pattern.so i thought not to get in trouble even after many experienced have suggested.
lohit rao, mine is 1.5 exi.
Hey sankeerthreddy..!!!
Good safe choice ....!!!

Drive safe

Most Viewed