Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2007, 00:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

If you have a set of 5 tyres - THE 5 TYRE ROTATION PATTERN will increase the life of each tyre because each is rested (spare)

I'd like to add to that. Since the front wheels wear out more on the outsides and the rear on the insides, wheel rotation has to be done every 5000 kms so that they wear out equally. Having the spare wheel in the rotation process increases the life as there are 5 participating tyres.

There is a requirement for wheel rotation, alignment and balancing. Even though experts have different opinions about 'when' it has to be done, they all definitely agree that these improve the grip and the life of the tyres.

So, it does make sense to have 5 alloy wheels, unless of course, you decide to rotate the tyres and not the wheels.
Old 24th February 2007, 02:00   #32
BHPian

Guys,

I think there's some confusion about the exact question.

The question is whether one should go for 4 or 5 'alloy' rims when upgrading from the stock rims.

As long as all 5 rims are the same size, i.e 13", 14" or whatever, and the same tyre size is being used on all 5 rims, how does it matter whether you have 4 allloy rims and one steel rim or all 5 alloy rims,

Yes, with 5 allloy rims, you can include your spare in your tyre rotation schedule without having to go through the procedure of mounting the tyre on one of your 4 alloy rims

Also, for the time that you do have to use your spare tyre, you wont compromise on the looks factor,

Other than these two points I dont see any compulsion in having to buy 5 alloy rims when upgrading.

Suhail
swale84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2007, 10:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

"with 5 allloy rims, you can include your spare in your tyre rotation schedule without having to go through the procedure of mounting the tyre on one of your 4 alloy rims"

Exactly my point. It saves the hassle as the spare wheel can be directly used.

But, I also agree that it is not compulsory. If you're running short of cash, go ahead with 4!
Old 26th February 2007, 10:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hey guys this might sound stupid but it helps. Carry a spare tube along in the trunk and in case if you feel stranded you can put this tube in the tubeless tyre. So what say issue resolved?
Infact i heard many people use tubes in tubeless tyres
Old 27th February 2007, 23:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Infact i heard many people use tubes in tubeless tyres
He didn't mean to say it as a regular practice,just in case of emergencies.In fact even I carry a butyl tube with me just in case the 195R14 t/l tyres happen to get a nasty gash which would be unrepairable with a t/l kit
Old 27th February 2007, 23:51   #36
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
If you have a set of 5 tyres - THE 5 TYRE ROTATION PATTERN will increase the life of each tyre because each is rested (spare)

I'd like to add to that. Since the front wheels wear out more on the outsides and the rear on the insides, wheel rotation has to be done every 5000 kms so that they wear out equally. Having the spare wheel in the rotation process increases the life as there are 5 participating tyres.

There is a requirement for wheel rotation, alignment and balancing. Even though experts have different opinions about 'when' it has to be done, they all definitely agree that these improve the grip and the life of the tyres.

So, it does make sense to have 5 alloy wheels, unless of course, you decide to rotate the tyres and not the wheels.
I agree that it is better to spend the money on 5 alloys. But I don't agree with your reasoning. Tyres really don't need rest. The reason you want 5 wheels is just purely so that you don't get stuck somewhere. Otherwise a four-tyre rotation scheme is just as good and in fact, more convenient that a five-tyre scheme.

I did read (I think in a post by Ram in T-BHP) that the direction of rotation of radial tyres has to be maintained. So apparently you should switch tyres only on the same side, i.e. right-side tyres should remain on the right side. Or else you can take a right-side tyre off the wheel, swap its direction, mount it back and then put it on the left side of the car. Assuming my impression is correct.
Old 28th February 2007, 10:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

[quote=jango;378598]Hi Team-Bhpians..

Just wanted to find out what majority of Bhpian's do while picking up their set of alloys

1) Do you buy the whole set of 5 ( including the one for spare wheel ) OR

2) Just 4 of them.

For my BOLERO i had picked up all 5 coz the spare tyre was visible when mounted at the rear of the jeep...so moved in style...but what abt those who use alloys on there car ??

Hi Jango,

Always go for 5, whether it is in your car or jeep. Reasons being: -

1. In an event of a puncture, driving on 3 alloys and 1 steel rim will not only spoil the looks of the car but also disturb the dynamics of the vehicle. It will also give you time to repair the puncture as you will not have to do it on an urgent basis.
2. If you upgrade to a bigger rim....... what more can i say?
3. As mentioned by one of our bhpians, if you damage your alloy rim and find a replacement with the same design.....
4. Makes you look cheap. If u can spend a bomb on a fancy set of alloys, might as well buy 5!!!!

Epic
Old 1st March 2007, 10:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I agree that it is better to spend the money on 5 alloys. But I don't agree with your reasoning. Tyres really don't need rest. The reason you want 5 wheels is just purely so that you don't get stuck somewhere. Otherwise a four-tyre rotation scheme is just as good and in fact, more convenient that a five-tyre scheme.

I did read (I think in a post by Ram in T-BHP) that the direction of rotation of radial tyres has to be maintained. So apparently you should switch tyres only on the same side, i.e. right-side tyres should remain on the right side. Or else you can take a right-side tyre off the wheel, swap its direction, mount it back and then put it on the left side of the car. Assuming my impression is correct.
your "same side rotation" is recommended only for directional tyres... not non directional tyres... they can be put on either side of wheel..see recommended methods by bridgestone
@#3#
Old 1st March 2007, 13:32   #39
rks
BANNED

@Buffetfan, thanks for the info. I was referring to the following post by Ram:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post316701

Here Ram specifically mentions that only same-side rotation has to be done for radial tyres. But you can take a right-hand-side tyre and fit it on the left hand side and still maintain the direction of rotation if you also take care to pull the tyre off the rim and switch the direction before fitting back.
Old 1st March 2007, 17:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

ok most of the time i have seen people going for 4 alloys only. but i think one should go for 5 specially if one is upsizing. Dunno if i am right or wrong on this theory but i myself want to know about this so below is an example.

If i have 13" and i am upsizing to 14", i will have four 14" and one 13". Now one of my tyre gets flat, wouldn't there be any problem while driving with three 14" and one 13".

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2007, 18:13   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
ok most of the time i have seen people going for 4 alloys only. but i think one should go for 5 specially if one is upsizing. Dunno if i am right or wrong on this theory but i myself want to know about this so below is an example.

If i have 13" and i am upsizing to 14", i will have four 14" and one 13". Now one of my tyre gets flat, wouldn't there be any problem while driving with three 14" and one 13".

Thanks.
What you say is right but the choice of going for only 4 alloys is wise if you have no plans to upgrade your tyres for a decent period of time, its but simple logic.
Old 1st March 2007, 18:17   #42
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Better not to mount wheels/tyres of different sizes on the same axle. In fact my Hyundai manual explicitly warns against this plus even advises not to mount different tread patterns on the same axle. So if you plan to go in for 5 alloys, that is the best. Otherwise go for four alloys and also get a cheap steel rim of the same size as spare. Similarly you can get a second-hand tyre of the same size for the spare and exclude this tyre from the rotation scheme. Preferably your spare tyre should be of the same tread pattern as the other four. And you should drive slowly whenever your spare wheel is temporarily in action, till the regular alloy wheel is restored.
Old 1st March 2007, 20:43   #43
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What you say is right but the choice of going for only 4 alloys is wise if you have no plans to upgrade your tyres for a decent period of time, its but simple logic.
agree with you. But, in case of a puncture, alloy rims on spare tyres will definately be a safer option.
Old 19th April 2009, 11:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Most cars abroad have a space saver spare tyre. This has a steel rim and the tyre width is about half of the normal tyres of the car. So all the logic given by those in favour of 5 alloys should be applicablr to these cars too. How come these cars are considered safe with the space saver. Remember the car comes from the factory with 4 alloys and the space saver spare. Of course the car has to be driven at 60 Km/h. So I think we can safetly go in for 4 alloys and upsized tyres and retain the original spare.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

i will say one should buy 4 alloys and keep the oe as the spare,in many cars you will not able to put the upsize tire in the spare wheel well.and the best part you save approx 5k on the fifth alloy and tyre

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks