Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 16:41   #46
BHPian

Re: Be cautious with tyre attendants at petrol pumps!

TPMS + car air compressor pump FTW.
Like others have mentioned here, I have not filled air at a petrol pump for either of my cars in the last 4 years. My driver or I fill air once a month ourselves.
My tires thank me for this.
nd4$pd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:58   #47
BHPian

Guys, for everyone who is asking which petrol pump it is - It is Shell pump in Thanisandra main road, Bangalore.

Some fantastic suggestions here for a very important safety activity of filling up air and maintaining the tyres and valves, which many of us tend to not give the needed attention.

Thanks for the links for Michelin tyre inflators. I think this is the way for all of us. Being a sucker for anything Michelin, this makes it a even easier purchase.

Also, one beautiful thing I would like to mention - fill up the air, to equal pressure, in all the tyres when cold and experience the magic of balanced steering behavior and balanced dynamics when the car is in motion.

Since I have access to air vending machine nowadays near my parking area, I realised what I missed all these years by filling air at petrol pumps. Unfortunately, the machine is down for the past few weeks, hence the experience I shared.

Please start this important safety activity from today

Last edited by CliffHanger : 29th January 2020 at 21:59.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 22:23   #48
BHPian

I always cautiously stand beside the attendant while checking the air (or fill it myself) and still my efforts proved futile.
This Monday I got air checked from the nearby IOCL outlet where I fill fuel. I ensured that all wheels had 33 psi. The road back to my home from the pump is ~<2kms and is very smooth. Didn't notice anything unusual that day. But I took the car out today and the ride felt very stiff and bumpy over rough patches. On the way back, I got down and checked the air once again at a different pump and every wheel had 42 psi.
This was less than 15 minutes ago. Brought it down to 35psi for the time being. That machine in this was also acting up. I feel that I will have to invest in a TPMS or at least a pressure gauge. None of these machines are calibrated regularly I guess. The reading going off by almost 10psi is unacceptable.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
I feel that I will have to invest in a TPMS or at least a pressure gauge. None of these machines are calibrated regularly I guess. The reading going off by almost 10psi is unacceptable.
Exactly. The air machines are never calibrated for the simple reason that air at any fuel pump is free. The owner is not bothered as it's a free service to his customers.
On the other hand, you must definitely invest in a good tyre inflator. Choose the one that suits you. Have put up a link on pg.1 of this thread.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 22:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Best option of all !

Invest in a decent 12V air pump like Michelin and keep this permanently in your car. Use this to fill air in your tyres by yourself. I'm sure many Bhpians and other car owners do this. The pump also doubles up as an emergency tool.
Yes, I too use my own pump with built-in meter. Another advantage of that is you get to fill air in a 'cold' tyre, that is, before running any distance.
All recommended pressures are 'cold', and by filling air at a fuel station, even if the gauge is accurate, we are actually over-filling.
Initially, when filling after taking fuel, I too noticed that air takes much longer, as while there may be many spouts for diesel & petrol, only one source is there for air, and a queue develops for that. Even then, I used to get out and watch the meter, listen for the ping, and even go around to make sure the valve dust caps were tightened properly.
Many years ago I went for a foot pump which I used at home -- with butyl replacing natural rubber tubes, filling intervals had lengthened. When 12v mini compressors became available, I kept my manual pump as a standby, and now use one Michelin and one Goodyear for each vehicle, keeping on-board for emergencies, too. Advantages are many -- no puncture/valve scams, accurate 'cold' pressure, no lost dust caps, no lost time waiting, no tipping !
SnakemanJohny is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks