Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2020, 00:46   #1
BHPian

Be cautious with tyre attendants at petrol pumps!

So, I was waiting behind this car today where the attendant filled up air to the set pressure 36, normally, on the first two tyres, but for the 3rd and 4th tyres, he just pressed the air valve against the nozzle and, done, the pressure indicator barely moved. Owner did not bother, drove off.

Now to my car, first tyre, to 36, normal. Second tyre, from 26 to 28 and, done, he moved on to the 3rd. Stopped him and asked him to go back and refill, he kept repeating, it's done, it's done, in several different ways. Checked again and it was at 28 and took some time to reach 36. He had the audacity to stand for the tip.

Watch when you're filling up air, especially when your tyres are at the second half of their lives. These guys will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Looks like, like Maruti, Shell is also here to use its leadership position to fool the gullible Indians.
CliffHanger is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 01:11   #2
BHPian

re: Be cautious with tyre attendants at petrol pumps!

Sad hear such things even at stations like Shell. I always keep an eye on the Digital display of air pump and make sure that I hear the long beep sound once the desired pressure is reached. I also keep a track of air lost between successive refills which helps in identifying any abnormality or excessive loss of air in tires
Storm2.0 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 01:31   #3
BHPian

It is best to get out of the car and check on the attendant while filling to be sure that he does it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Looks like, like Maruti, Shell is also here to use its leadership position to fool the gullible Indians.
But, one point I want to correct you on is that, this is not a fraud which involves Shell. The air has no cost for Shell, or for that matter, the manager or proprietor of the station. He may not be even aware about it.

It was the pure laziness of the attendant that led to this bad experience and not in particular, an involvement of shell.

You could have at least brought this incident to the manager's concern or complained at any shell's portal, but no, you just drove off thinking that Shell is scamming you. When they are not even aware of the problem, how can they bring out a solution?

Though, there is no fault of yours and they should hire better employees but they can only know that an employee is bad when they have feedback.

So, it is a request, whenever there is an issue you face with an attendant or some practise of a business, report it to the business. If you feel that the proprietor is involved in a particular malpractice, make sure you report it to the company directly.

It is a duty of any business to prevent any malpractice and make sure that the customer receives the best treatment possible but sometimes due to oversight things remain unnoticed. Please, make sure that they notice it so they can correct it.

Only if they do not care to correct it, call the business a bad one or defame them publicly.

My father runs a business too and many a times something leaves a bad taste in the customer's mouth which he did not notice. If the customer brings it to his notice, his job becomes 10 times easier.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 26th January 2020 at 01:37.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 01:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Watch when you're filling up air, especially when your tyres are at the second half of their lives. These guys will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
It is a good practice to watch tyre pressure while filling. As most tires these days are tubeless, unusual dip in pressure could indicate small punctures which would otherwise go unnoticed.

Quote:
Looks like, like Maruti, Shell is also here to use its leadership position to fool the gullible Indians
IMHO, this seems like an individual’s behavior and the brand has nothing to do. In general I have observed a lot of laborers working in fuel stations are not well trained. We need to be watchful, I almost always get out and see what they do.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 26th January 2020 at 02:18.
Thermodynamics is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 08:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's best to get out of the car and look closely at whatever is being done to your car - filling gas, air or oil. If you can't make that effort expect issues.

Quote:
Now to my car, first tyre, to 36, normal.

Watch when you're filling in air closely..
And what makes you sure that it was indeed 36 by just watching? Even at the best pumps the gauges are in error, have found most gauges wrong by quite a margin in the best pumps in Bangalore (HP COCO on airport road for instance is substantially wrong). So unless you have your own guage which you need to use to confirm that 36 is indeed 36 and not 42, you just can't be sure.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 08:55   #6
BHPian

One more thing they forget: put the nozzle caps back on. I always remind them.
asingh1977 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 09:06   #7
BHPian

At many bunks in Bangalore during rush hour it takes far less time to fill up your fuel tank than getting your turn to check pressure on your tyres. 2-wheelers keep breaking the line and you're still standing where you were 5 minutes ago with the line growing in front of you!

When I got fed up standing in line on one such day 3 years ago, I got myself a digital tyre guage and an analog foot pump. Every weekend I check my tyre pressure and top it up at home. It is pretty accurate, saves a lot of time and all the nonsense that we have to deal with at the bunk. Another advantage - its always in the boot for emergencies. I'm very glad I switched.

I'm using Michelin 12204 Analogue Single Barrel Foot Pump and Michelin MN-4203 Digital Tyre Gauge if you may ask.

Last edited by dksv : 26th January 2020 at 09:11. Reason: Added the tools that I'm using.
dksv is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 09:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
It is best to get out of the car and check on the attendant while filling to be sure that he does it right
The BEST practice, I do that always every time (or ask my Son), even at my friend neighborhood fuel station

Quote:
the manager or proprietor of the station. He may not be even aware about it...It was the pure laziness of the attendant
100% yes

Few years ago, this is how everything started off. First time short fill; I stopped visiting that IOL. Then after few years, there was fuel shortage & this was the only pump where fuel was available + the BPCL where I used to refuel changed all their staffs overnight & I lost that friendliness there.

So at this IOL, I had experienced all possible issues, shortfill, card not working, no air, no nitrogen, tips for nitrogen filling, over filling & fuel spilling out & what not? Once even billed for Rs 11000 for Rs 110 as well

Gradually, the pump owner & I became good friends, stated all the above woes as if they were happening all over the country & that is when I got to know that most of the times such things were never bought to the attention of the owners.

The attendants come from so poor background that such habits are ingrained to their upbringing & they don't know the meaning of customer or service or providing value due to which all these happen. Customer & retention can never be understood by them, no matter how much ever training are provided by IOL. I've personally witnessed the compressor machine being turned ON at night 9 Pm (they usually switch off at 8 Pm) for a single car & was surprised as why, but got to know the owner was at the pump that time. But many a times, I was denied air for turning on the compressor (with lame excuses as they don't have the key to enter the room to turn on compressor) as early as 7:00 Pm.

And again, I experienced a super bad delay (over half hour) at a recently opened Shell fuel station once. The delay happened like, "sir, 5 minutes, the problem will be rectified" with another arrogant answer like "if the machines are faulty what can I do?"

Needless to say, I don't visit that fuel station, nor recommend anyone there. That is the problem of one single Shell station out of 4 other Shell stations that I've visited in my city.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 09:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
You could have at least brought this incident to the manager's concern or complained at any shell's portal, but no, you just drove off thinking that Shell is scamming you. When they are not even aware of the problem, how can they bring out a solution?
In case you are not aware. Common across all Shell pumps every time you drive into their pump:

- Sir, open your bonnet. I've to say a stern No, else I get repeated the same question. Recently, a Bhpian was fooled to refill oil in his Innova when there was no need to.

- Sir, try V-power. Again, I've to say a stern No.

- Sir, only V-power available. Again, several instances reported by Bhpians.

- Sir, coffee, snacks, with a price card. And, one more time a stern No, or otherwise..

You think all these overselling circus and fooling tactics happen without the management being aware? Will they dare do all these in other countries?

You think the management is not aware of these uncomfortable situations every customer is put into every time he drives into their pump?

Like the other PSUs, Shell should just focus on selling their fuels alone in their pumps and stop their overselling Bullshit and the resulting fooling tactics.

I don't mind reporting to the management if it is one off, I've done it in BP when the attendant tried fuel shortfill.

But when it is collective and happens in nexus with Shell as an organisation, I'm sorry, reporting to the management will be a futile exercise for me.

I'm writing a thread here, because it is not an individual pump problem, but an organisation problem.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 26th January 2020 at 09:53.
CliffHanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 10:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Which Shell bunk did this happen at??
Old 26th January 2020, 10:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just a tip: Always get down when you're filling petrol/air. If these guys see an inattentive customer, they'll take him/her for a ride.
Quote:
I wouldn't say that unless it was a case of adulterated fuel, engine oil scam or something of that nature.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 10:44   #12
BHPian

Whenever I visit the pump, I always get out of the car. Hell, I dont even let the pump employee close the fuel cap or the lid. I do it myself. All eyes on the fuel gauge meter. No small talk.
Ditto while filling air.
Eyes on the pressure meter. Ears tuned for the beep. Ensure they replace the nozzle caps when done.

Since Shell is mentioned by name:
My regular pump is the Shell pump near Warje, Pune.
Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. As a policy they have ~50% female employees. All of them greet you with folded hands, a smile and a namaskar the moment you get out of the car. Before they begin to pump fuel, they draw your attention to the meter set to zero. They enquire about oil change after fuelling is done.
Thoroughly satisfying experience.

As already mentioned above, I think it was a lazy employee in CliffHanger's incident. The fuel pump has absolutely zero incentive in cheating while filling air.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 10:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My father runs a business too and many a times something leaves a bad taste in the customer's mouth which he did not notice. If the customer brings it to his notice, his job becomes 10 times easier.

I once did the same. I brought to the notice of the owner of a reputed automotive related outlet what I felt the way his employees have done the work and how I was dissatisfied. It was only a friendly info so that he could look at it so that his other customers do not feel the same.

I was lectured as to how he believed in his people and how it all works and I must be the one wrong. Its good to have belief in your guys, but also good to inform them on customer dissatisfaction and a check how to avoid the same!!

I don't visit that place anymore, and of course word of mouth happens, and the place gets blacklisted in your circle. But in a country like India with much population who cares if you lose 1 or many customers

These are moments of truth, the one employee that interacts with you represents the organization unfortunately, and its key to have them do right.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 11:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
But in a country like India with much population who cares if you lose 1 or many customers.
True. This is the downside to customer service with small owner-run establishments that have a large customer base. And in a country like India there are quite a few.

The owner is a businessman and knows which side his bread is buttered on and will side the employee to prevent other labour issues erupting in his small establishment. If he loses one employee he will have more unsatisfied customers than, as in this case, just one customer and his circle of friends.

"Customer is King" can be quite a bad joke.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 11:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Be cautious with tyre attendants at petrol pumps!

Best option of all !

Invest in a decent 12V air pump like Michelin and keep this permanently in your car. Use this to fill air in your tyres by yourself. I'm sure many Bhpians and other car owners do this. The pump also doubles up as an emergency tool.

This is the one I have:
Michelin 12266 High Power Rapid Tyre Inflator (Black and Blue) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00IERQC80/..._0UslEbWCSMDX0

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th January 2020 at 16:19. Reason: Michilin > Michelin
ruzbehxyz is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks