Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 14:04   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: City of Pearls
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

I own a BMW 530d m sport g30 for little over a year now. I'm based out of Hyderabad and I think I do a decent amount of road trips. My car has clocked about 14000kms so far and I absolutely love it.
On my recent trip from Hyderabad to the Pune region, I encountered a Tyre burst in lonavla. My front right Tyre (Goodyear excellence eagle f1 rft 245/45 r18) had a tear on the side wall and I had no clue how it had happened.

BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade-img_20191226_153007.jpg

Possibly because of going fast over a pothole. We stopped at a decent dhaba(mummy's dhaba I believe) had our lunch, got back in the car and after driving for a few kms I get a notification asking me to go slow and check my Tyre pressure. After stopping, I pulled out my Tyre inflator kit and tried fixing it only to realize that the pressure was down to Zero and that there was a big tear on the side wall. Thankfully, because of RFTs, I could go to my hotel and change to my donut tire(thankfully BMW started providing them). I tried my luck with the tire dealers in lonavla but no luck. I had to wait for 2 days to go back to Pune and get it fitted with eastern tyre dealers.
Fast forward another month and after a trip from Hyderabad to vizag and back I find out that my rear Tyre inner wall also has a significant cut but the BMW service center say it's okay to run with it but quite frankly I'm a bit worried.

BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade-img20200124wa0016.jpg

After these experiences and hearing other's troubles with RFTs, I realized that these are tricky tires(the RFTs) and that I'm better off switching to regular tubeless tyres. I spoke to multiple dealers and they all recommend it, there's an article on team-BHP where one of the members switched his BMW 320d tires to tubeless and I also found a person on YouTube who switched his BMW 520d g30 tyres to tubeless in India. I've also read many many forums, threads and watched multiple YouTube videos to decide to switch to tubeless.
Only one dealer I Hyderabad recommend that I don't switch. I suspect it's because he didn't have tubeless, he only had Conti RFTs with him. He says it will affect the driving dynamics apart from the obvious decrease in safety.


I am facing a couple of problems now that I'm trying to find appropriate tires. My car employs 245/45 r18s in the front and 275/40 r18s in the rear.
I've contacted all the big dealers in Hyderabad and Pune and there is only one non-RFT tubeless option for my car. That's the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050. There are other options of RFTs from Michelin, continental, Goodyear. My cars OEMs are the goodyears. There are a couple of options of tubeless for 245/45 r18s. But my rear is wider and there aren't too many options where a same model of Tyre is available for both 245/40 and 275/40.
My main concern is that there isn't any review for these Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 tires online nor did anyone from team-BHP employ these on a 530d. This is making me reconsider switching to tubeless just because I don't know how good these tires are. But I'm pretty done with these RFTs to be honest, I love driving my car on road trips and highways but they're becoming very expensive to maintain if I'm going to have to problem with a tire after every trip.

I'd love it if anyone could share their experience of switching to tubeless for their 530d.

The purpose of this article is two fold, one is to share my experience with the RFTs in India and doing road trips in India with the 530d having RFTs. It's a very pleasurable experience taking the low 3.0L beast on highways but it has its downsides as well (high costs). Secondly getting inputs from other users about a possible tire upgrade.

I hope this article is useful for other users having the same problem as me.

Sidenote: this is my first article, so please excuse any format errors if any.

Cheers?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st January 2020 at 18:45. Reason: arranged pics properly
KingCheeese is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,690
Thanked: 2,776 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Go for Dunlop Sports max 050+, The only sensible option for us (530d) owners with a super rare tyres size,

You won't find reviews for it easily least in india because its not common, Its super common to see these tyres used on germans in the middle east.

I am on my second set, And they are very good all rounders, On my remapped 530d, Once the tyre is well heated and if the tarmac is good there is no wheel spin even while using launch control, Only negative i would say is under very hard cornering they tend let the car down, But frankly i started feeling this only post installing the Bilstein B6.

Get rid of RFT's asap.

Link to my thread, You can look up : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...bhp-680nm.html
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:57   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: City of Pearls
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Go for Dunlop Sports max 050+, The only sensible option for us (530d) owners with a super rare tyres size,

You won't find reviews for it easily least in india because its not common, Its super common to see these tyres used on germans in the middle east.

I am on my second set, And they are very good all rounders, On my remapped 530d, Once the tyre is well heated and if the tarmac is good there is no wheel spin even while using launch control, Only negative i would say is under very hard cornering they tend let the car down, But frankly i started feeling this only post installing the Bilstein B6.

Get rid of RFT's asap.

Link to my thread, You can look up : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...bhp-680nm.html
Thank you so much tanveer for replying so quickly!
Your reply immediately gives me a lot of courage to take the step to upgrade to DUNLOPS.
I've gone through your thread as well, such well written and helpful articles! Just learned about activating the adaptive headlights from you
You say you're on your second set of DUNLOPS right and you got your car with Bridgestone turanzas. Have you ever tried goodyear/Michelin RFTs? The only reason I'm asking is for the comparison in ride from those to the DUNLOPS.
Another thing that a BMW service person told me just now is that the newer BMWs come with suspensions that account for the rough ride of the RFTs. So that adds another doubt as to how the car would perform. But again you say you've used 2 sets and see no loss in performance so that's great!
I am pretty excited to go for them now!
But again you said there's no wheel spin after a little warm up in launch control, I'm just hoping that they're not all that grippy that they will restrict the sideways fun with the traction control switched off.

Also, you've mentioned that you've installed Bilstein b6, may I ask why and what're the advantages?
And any more insights on tyres for the 530d would be great
KingCheeese is offline  
Old 31st January 2020, 18:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,941
Thanked: 5,119 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

I have the dunlop sport maxx on my S-class, they are OK. If you have no choice go for it, they are better than RFT of other brands.
If you can source Michelin PS4 tubeless for your car it would be the best option. I put PS4s on my F-pace recently and inspite of me upsizing my rims from 19 to 20inch, they comfort left has gone up with the michelins.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 23:08   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: City of Pearls
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Thank you Sahil!
I will try and search for options for sourcing the PS4s as well. Please do give me your suggestions if you have any on how to import tyres or try and source them if the dealers here don't provide them

Cheers!
KingCheeese is offline  
Old 1st February 2020, 07:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 8,713 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Unfortunately, you dont have too many options in regular tubeless in these sizes. The Dunlops are decent (I've never driven them or used them or even have a 530d, to be honest). I know a few people using them and no one has come screaming back that they are great, but on the other hand, no one has had any complaints either.

At least it's not a Chinese tyre. Do keep in mind that Dunlops are grey market. There is no warranty or anything on them. They are imported by dealers who will just sell them and forget it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 09:11   #7
BHPian
 
AMG Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: BLR
Posts: 936
Thanked: 5,929 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

I wouldn't ever advise you to change to tubeless tyres looking at the condition of your tyres

The RFT's seem to have saved your life on more than one occasion. If you were on tubeless when those tears took place, the story would have been different.

You would need to drastically change your driving habits if you're moving to tubeless.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 09:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,485
Thanked: 14,890 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheeese View Post
Thank you Sahil!
I will try and search for options for sourcing the PS4s as well.
Any large tyre dealer can get. We have many here in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
I wouldn't ever advise you to change to tubeless tyres looking at the condition of your tyres
RFT's are a mess mostly. When these bursts, usually you can continue for a few KMs maximum like 10-20. I agree it can save you from hassles if you are in a city or near but if on the highway, one has to shift to space saver which one can do on the regular ones as well. Going by my own experience, chances of getting your RFT damaged are higher than regular in similar conditions. As far as the handling part as told by BMW Dealership is concerned, I think it's more of marketing talk. None of their M Cars come with RFT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If you can source Michelin PS4 tubeless for your car it would be the best option.
Absolutely, Michelin’s are the best. I have multiple issues mostly to do with excessive sound after around 15 k mark. Besides RFT are very sensitive to road conditions and the tougher sidewalls simply crack. Whereas on a regular you can get away in similar conditions.

There are few options in Michelin, depending on your budget and availability either of PS4 or PS4S will be fine.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4677263 (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!)

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st February 2020 at 09:46.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 18:23   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: City of Pearls
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
At least it's not a Chinese tyre. Do keep in mind that Dunlops are grey market. There is no warranty or anything on them. They are imported by dealers who will just sell them and forget it.
Useful info Nikhil! I haven't even considered this. Thank you, I will however try and ask if any dealer would want to go out of their way and provide it anyway, I'll keep it posted on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The RFT's seem to have saved your life on more than one occasion. If you were on tubeless when those tears took place, the story would have been different.
Thanks for the tips but honestly, both the times it happened and I found out I was at city speeds, that coupled with a donut, I really don't see a problem. Also, I agree with Turbanator, the harder sidewalls often tend to have these problems. I have tubeless 235/40 r18s on my Volvo s60 and I've never had one problem in 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
RFT's are a mess mostly. When these bursts, usually you can continue for a few KMs maximum like 10-20. I agree it can save you from hassles if you are in a city or near but if on the highway, one has to shift to space saver which one can do on the regular ones as well. Going by my own experience, chances of getting your RFT damaged are higher than regular in similar conditions. As far as the handling part as told by BMW Dealership is concerned, I think it's more of marketing talk. None of their M Cars come with RFT's
Couldn't agree more! The seller has to be the point where the M cars or ever race cars don't use RFTs.

I've taken your advice but I still haven't found a dealer in Hyderabad who is willing/agreed to getting me the Michelin PS4s. I'll still keep trying and I will post it here if I find a dealer to help others.
I've been trying to find a dealer from Mumbai as well, if anyone knows a guy, please let me know
KingCheeese is offline  
Old 3rd February 2020, 00:31   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,690
Thanked: 2,776 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheeese View Post
Thank you so much tanveer for replying so quickly!
Your reply immediately gives me a lot of courage to take the step to upgrade to DUNLOPS.
Go for it, I have done a LOT of highway drives, Have gone into several potholes even at high speed, Touch wood came out without any issues, On my second set, Not a puncture till date, ZERO traction loss while using launch control if the tarmac is good, Is comfortable and the road noise is in check, Frankly you can't ask for more for the price these are for specially when compared to other RFT tyres.

Quote:
I've gone through your thread as well, such well written and helpful articles! Just learned about activating the adaptive headlights from you
Thanks man, Use Bimmercode app to set it to Always ON by default.

Quote:
You say you're on your second set of DUNLOPS right and you got your car with Bridgestone turanzas. Have you ever tried goodyear/Michelin RFTs? The only reason I'm asking is for the comparison in ride from those to the DUNLOPS.
Turanza's were tubeless too, Ride quality was good but the tyres gave up easily in almost every situation. Swapped to dunlops after that and dint feel the need to try anything else, Din't want to get into issues while importing other tyres.

Quote:
Another thing that a BMW service person told me just now is that the newer BMWs come with suspensions that account for the rough ride of the RFTs. So that adds another doubt as to how the car would perform. But again you say you've used 2 sets and see no loss in performance so that's great!
I am pretty excited to go for them now!
Hardly believe anything that any BMW service person says, Another BMW service person here in Mumbai wanted me to change the whole rear Tail light assembly because one of the rear bulb had gone.

Quote:
But again you said there's no wheel spin after a little warm up in launch control, I'm just hoping that they're not all that grippy that they will restrict the sideways fun with the traction control switched off.
I will try and record a acceleration video, No loss of traction ! You can always put the car in sports + for the sideways fun, Disable DSC if you want to feel closer to God.

Quote:
Also, you've mentioned that you've installed Bilstein b6, may I ask why and what're the advantages?
Post Stage 2 remap the car's suspension felt soft and bouncy, B6 helps in keeping the car stiff at highspeeds, Keeps the nose dive during hard braking in check, And the car handles even beautifully.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:16   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 283
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheeese View Post
My main concern is that there isn't any review for these Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 tires online nor did anyone from team-BHP employ these on a 530d. This is making me reconsider switching to tubeless just because I don't know how good these tires are. But I'm pretty done with these RFTs to be honest, I love driving my car on road trips and highways but they're becoming very expensive to maintain if I'm going to have to problem with a tire after every trip.
I have Dunlop SP Sport Maxx's on my GLS - they came as an OEM fit. They are decent all-round tires - nothing to write home about but no real complaints either.

I've had a few punctures on them but nothing major.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 19:05   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: City of Pearls
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Go for it, I have done a LOT of highway drives, Have gone into several potholes even at high speed, Touch wood came out without any issues

Thanks man, Use Bimmercode app to set it to Always ON by default.

Hardly believe anything that any BMW service person says, Another BMW service person here in Mumbai wanted me to change the whole rear Tail light assembly because one of the rear bulb had gone.


I will try and record a acceleration video, No loss of traction ! You can always put the car in sports + for the sideways fun, Disable DSC if you want to feel closer to God.
Okay done my search officially ends. i will get the Dunlops. the dealer here is quoting 13,000 for the fronts and 17800 for the read. how does this sound?

I will use bimmercode soon, can you please send a link for the OEM adapter you used if its not too much to ask.

hahaha very true, the dealers are waiting to exploit customers. the taillight story is a joke!

waiting for that video of yours
KingCheeese is offline  
Old 12th February 2020, 10:56   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 32
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheeese View Post
Okay done my search officially ends. i will get the Dunlops. the dealer here is quoting 13,000 for the fronts and 17800 for the read. how does this sound?

I will use bimmercode soon, can you please send a link for the OEM adapter you used if its not too much to ask.

hahaha very true, the dealers are waiting to exploit customers. the taillight story is a joke!

waiting for that video of yours
Use a BT OBD adapter, I use Veepeak OBDCheck BLE for my bimmer. Otherwise, Bimmercode app and website list all the adapters they support - https://bimmercode.app/adapters/
nigr is offline  
Old 12th February 2020, 13:13   #14
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 720
Thanked: 1,840 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post

Hardly believe anything that any BMW service person says, Another BMW service person here in Mumbai wanted me to change the whole rear Tail light assembly because one of the rear bulb had gone.
Sorry for going OT: isn't your taillight full LED? If so, I really don't think they can do anything about it if one of the LEDs has conked off. They should however honor some goodwill warranty on it as LEDs are supposed to have a lifetime of 20-30000 hours and I'm sure your car hasn't been driven that much
d3mon is online now  
Old 1st July 2020, 00:05   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: City of Pearls
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Hello again guys! It's been a long time since I could've done anything with my car due to these unprecedented times. However since the last update, I've made two more road trips from Hyderabad to vizag and back. The first one went well, nothing to complain about.

The second one however wasn't ideal. I was enjoying the drive as it was right after the lockdown and the highways were beautifully free of traffic. I had a great run until I had a sudden tire burst (yes, again! My last tyre burst on the Mumbai - Pune road trip happened just 7 months ago). As soon as it happened I knew what it was and I pulled over only to see my front left dead. At this point I lost my cool as I didn't even go over a big pothole. It was more of a big blemish on the road than a full fledged pothole. And I was still 280 km from my destination (Vizag). This was the moment I knew I had to get rid of my RFTs for good.

I tried asking stores nearby and called multiple tyre dealers but after calling more than 20 dealers all the way from Rajahmundry to Vizag I found one legit guy who said he could get me the dunlops in a week's time. So I still had the herculean task of driving 280 km in 4-5 hours before 9pm due to the lockdown. To make things worse, the BMW technician informed me that it's not safe to go for so long on the donut tyre even if I maintain a speed of 65-70 kmph as they might burst due to overheating. His first suggestion was that I don't do it and then he said that I should at least try and stop every 50 km and check the tyre heat and give it a rest if needed to cool them down.

So this made me very worried as I was in the middle of nowhere during covid and we definitely didn't want to stay in hotels. After 35 km on the donut tyre, I stopped to check their temperature and they were hotter than my other RFTs which have been running for over 400 km. This got me really worried. A few kms later I found a company owned BP bunk in the middle of nowhere and they thankfully had nitrogen gas, which made me wonder if the no heating property of nitrogen could help me here.

So I emptied the tyre and filled it with nitrogen and I drove for another 50km and noticed that the tyre heat was less than what it was earlier. Another 50kms later it dropped further down so I didn't have to stop to let it cool down. And since then I still stopped to check every 50 km but never needed to stop to cool them down. So just a heads-up for anyone who uses a donut tire in the future, I really recommend filling them up with nitrogen as they really helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Go for it, I have done a LOT of highway drives, Have gone into several potholes even at high speed, Touch wood came out without any issues, On my second set, Not a puncture till date, ZERO traction loss while using launch control if the tarmac is good, Is comfortable and the road noise is in check, Frankly you can't ask for more for the price these are for specially when compared to other RFT tyres.
Since the tyre burst, I waited for 4 days and I just put on the new Dunlop shoes for my car today Felt great the initial 50 km. Could feel a suppleness that was missing earlier. And it just feels nice to have softer sidewalls now, even if it's just psychological

And yes having a higher speed rating than the older ones definitely helps as well. Will keep you updated on my experience with these tyres as well. Have a long drive back to Hyderabad in a few days. Very excited for that!

Until next time!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd July 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post, formatted for better readability. Thanks!
KingCheeese is offline   (4) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks