Traditional trend of regular wheels & taller profile tyres 491 84.51%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 13:43   #121
BHPian

Re: Tall tyres & regular wheels versus low-profile tyres & large wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
If I remember right the stock tyres were GY Eagle NCT5s. Did you upsize to 205/60R16 on the triplemax or was it the same 205/55s?
As far as I’ve been observing all Octavia quad headlight models come with 205/55. The latest model also comes with 55 sidewall. Only the older Octavias used to come with 60 or 65 sidewall

Last edited by vikrantshete : 14th August 2022 at 13:46.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 15:38   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
As far as I’ve been observing all Octavia quad headlight models come with 205/55. The latest model also comes with 55 sidewall. Only the older Octavias used to come with 60 or 65 sidewall
I have a MY16 pre-facelift Octavia 1.8 TSI, and I understand all last generation Octavias came with Goodyear NCT 5 in 205/55/16 only.

Unsure about Laura though. Could have been 60 profiles.
Old 17th August 2022, 18:57   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have a MY16 pre-facelift Octavia 1.8 TSI, and I understand all last generation Octavias came with Goodyear NCT 5 in 205/55/16 only.

Unsure about Laura though. Could have been 60 profiles.
The old Octavia with 1.9 Litre Diesel engine used to come with 65 sidewall. I’ve seen a couple of them on the road.
Old 26th September 2022, 12:08   #124
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Iam really curious to get the experts opinion.

I own Tata Bold Diesel XT and I changed the stock tyres & alloys from 175/65 R15 to 175/70 R14 at 20k KMS.

Also I got Roger AB's installed. Together the Car provides great comfort and glides through tarmac or potholes smoothly. It has not affected the mileage too. They are running Good Year triple max assurance and just great.

Current mileage is 71000kms.

I was wondering in my next upgrade, will this be a safe move if I change tyres to 165/80 R14 ? I have uploaded the pic from https://www.calculator.net/tire-size-calculator.html?
Attached Images

Old 26th September 2022, 12:22   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
I was wondering in my next upgrade, will this be a safe move if I change tyres to 165/80 R14 ? I have uploaded the pic from
Why do you want narrow tyres? Or are you looking for more ground clearance?
Old 26th September 2022, 12:33   #126
BHPian

Hi Dhanushs,

I was really shocked and surprised when my car scraped few places when crossing the Ghat section of Goa. The roads were damaged badly and local authorities not bothered to repair them.

Along with little more ground clearance, I am guessing it will help in more free acceleration but bad cornering I guess.

But little higher ground clearance, makes the car looks aggressive too.
Old 26th September 2022, 12:41   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In the conditions in which we drive daily here in India, I am much happier and more confident using traditional tubeless tyres of a good width and with a strong tread for traction and which offer excellent sidewall cushioning and flex. I deeply dislike and distrust run-flats - Ive written my reasons for this elsewhere on the forum based on my personal experience on the lovely smooth European roads.
My own vehicles are never used for ‘specialized applications like rallying, racing, track-days, serious off-roading, deep mud and slush driving, river fording, rock crawling and all. They are primarily driven on normal tarmac and our pot-hole-ridden city roads or are used for touring on our State and National highways along with those reasonably mild forays into friends’ estates, grasslands and the countryside and so on. Inherently, by nature, I am not fond of excessively over-sized wheels and tyres because they interfere with the suspension geometry, handling, physics and fuel efficiency characteristics and they also cause fender rubbing etc. With the above in mind I would prefer to up-size, if at all, only within the expert-recommended tolerance limits and as far as possible stick with the stock specs of the vehicle, only making minor functional upgrades and a few cosmetic enhancements as may be needed/ wanted.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th September 2022 at 12:44. Reason: Addons
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 07:19   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
But little higher ground clearance, makes the car looks aggressive too.
Understand. Since you are also concerned about the looks, I would suggest not to decrease the width. It will look really weird to have a narrow tall tyre. See those space savers?
Old 15th October 2022, 20:12   #129
BHPian

Thanks Everyone for the input and apologies for late response.

I have upgraded to 185/70 R14 and tyres are Yokohama Earth1. As per the screenshot, its with in safety limit.

Took the car on highway for spin and acceleration improved significantly beating some cars well above in the segment. Cornering is awesome and surprisingly, car climbs steep incline easily which was a surprise to me, since they weigh little bit more to stock.

It costed around Rs21600 and Iam happy with the upgrade.

Now coming to mileage, I was skeptical that mileage would drop drastically but it hasn't.
Clocked so far 512 KMs & DTE shows 465 == 977 KM ( 44 Litres of Diesel Capacity).

Initially pickup is slightly delayed but once I switch to City mode using Dieseltronic, pickup is good with throttle response. This is with full members onboard.

When driving solo, Stock mode is much sufficient and I feel like Iam driving a big car.

Once I cross 55km/hr, car accelerates much faster with lesser throttle inputs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rama Naveen : 15th October 2022 at 20:14.
Old 12th December 2023, 15:22   #130
Senior - BHPian

Since we're discussing wheels, tyres and sidewalls just stumbled onto the fact that the original Mc Laren F1 was running 17 inch rims and had a taller sidewall than many of our passenger cars, including our wagonR
Here's a quote from evo-uk's article :
Quote:
A current trend towards ever-larger wheel diameters has been resisted, 17-inch being judged best for weight, package and contact patch geometry.
An image for reference :
Source : Wikipedia
Tall tyres & regular wheels versus low-profile tyres & large wheels-1996_mclaren_f1_chassis_no_63_6.1_rear.jpg
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:32   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Can somebody suggest a good downsize of tyres, for higher sidewalls , for a 2020 Hector, running 17" wheels? I am looking to downsize the wheel to 16"
Old 12th December 2023, 17:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can somebody suggest a good downsize of tyres, for higher sidewalls , for a 2020 Hector, running 17" wheels? I am looking to downsize the wheel to 16"
235/60 R16 seems to be well priced for your usage hoping that 235 can be accommodated.

Here's the report : Source : MyCarHelpline

Name:  235_60_16.png
Views: 113
Size:  104.8 KB

Last edited by shancz : 12th December 2023 at 18:00. Reason: typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks