Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 18:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Continental MC5 tyre sidewall completely destroyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Sorry to rake up this old thread, but it was an eye-opener, as I was also considering Continental MC5s.

Amogh, which tyre did you end up buying after this horrifying experience? I am planning to change the tyres on my Jetta shortly, and am looking for recommendations based on durability, safety, ride, handling and price.

How has your experience been with the new tyres?

I have been using Continental MC5 from last 1 year . It’s an awesome tyre , wonderful driving experience on road. However sidewalls of two of my tyres were damaged. One was my bad luck as it hit a protruding metal rod on a Toll the second one also had issues with sidewall. I never got to know how it was damaged. I could never prove it was an issue with tyre and finally had to buy a new one. One of the tyre dealers told me that Conti are worst in terms of warranty fulfilment.

You can try Dunlop - Falkon , I was told by dealer that it is only brand giving warranty on sidewall damages and a good tyre for Indian Roads.
SinghBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 00:08   #47
BHPian

Yoklohoma BE51 offers unconditional warranty on the tyres including the side walls
AkshatR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 15:26   #48

Very unfortunate and scary to see the side wall give up like this.

I had 195/60/R15 MC5s on my 4th gen Honda city. Done 50K kms / 4 years without any issue. My driving speed does not exceed 100KMPH. The tread wear indicators were still good.

Having seen this thread, without further delay went and replaced the 4 year old 50K done MC5s to UC6. Usually I replace around 4 years or 40K KMs. Due to lock down and also laziness let the tyres do 50K. I could hear mild humming noise since almost 4K kms ago, which initially I attributed to bearing; and now post replacing to UC6 the noise is gone. Looks like I was on borrowed time especially when I do 500-800 KM at a stretch on highways.

Important take away for me is to check the tyre pressure at every break on Long trips. I do plenty long trips and I have a foot pump with meter. More importantly not to ignore the humming or other additional noise & timely tyre replacements.

Thank you for sharing this incident. The PICs of torn side wall I am sure an eye opener / knock on the head for likes of me.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 04:55. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks