Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 11:34   #1
BANNED

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi All,

Yes, the ownership is pending. It will be a momentous academic task to jot down the details and will surely look forward to do it soon.

So when I got the Amaze VX CVT home (reason to buy will be part of the ownership) the GC was a concern from day 1. The other issue which I felt was the tyre noise which I felt should be addressed.

Considering these facts, I felt an upgrade was a must. The factory spec tyres were Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 175/65R15 84T.

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-89c6c9c8082546518f2dfa89ecdcb537.png

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0890.jpg

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0888.jpg

So the hunt started for the right upgrade and browsing Team-bhp is on. While going thru the various post on tyre upgrades particularly regarding Honda city, the most reasonable upgrade seamed to 195/60R15. This would give a reasonable benefit of both the worlds. It would increase the GC as well as improve the braking/ride quality too.

So the next decision was regarding the brand to go with. I have a pretty satisfied experience with Michelin on my Tata Safari Storme, specially the huge reduction in the tyre noise. So no hunting there for brand. It has to be Michelin.

Next was the pricing/variants. So in this specification there were two variants available: XM2 and PS4T. The XM2 was 5975/- per tyre and PS4T was 6500/-. When I spoke to dealers, the general idea was that if the roads are not even n good and need better mileage in terms of life XM2 would de better compared PS4T since it was more targeted to Highway usage.

So finalised the XM2. Lockdown created its own issues to get it here from Indore but finally every worked out well.

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0891.jpg

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0892.jpg

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0923.jpg

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0925.jpg

So after the upgrade, the changes that I have noticed is better GC and the drive has also improved. Long term ownership would help gauge things more accurately so will keep it posted here.

Regards
Jacob

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th June 2020 at 14:33. Reason: Inserting images inline. Thanks!
jacobsamu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks for sharing Jacob. Moved your post to an independent thread. Surprised there were no dedicated threads for the Amaze's tire/wheel upgrade!
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:27   #3
BHPian

I changed the original OEM tires around 52K Km and they were Goodyear. I changed to same spec but choose to go with Michelin XM2. Now the ODO stands at 73K. I am quite satisfied with the performance of XM2.
The only glitch is that one of the tires is having two punctures on the side wall and thus I can't rotate tires. And I may go for early change and will give it a thought to upgrade to the next feasible size.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 18:28   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I bet they made a world of difference! Good tyres are the first thing to give your car, and the quickest way to improve its feel + performance. Here is how both the sizes compare:

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-annotation-20200613-182640.png
Source
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 19:10   #5
BANNED

Hi GTO,

Have some doubts when looking at your data sheet:

1 Although the Revs per miles is reduced, doesn’t it means that we are covering more distance due to increased diameter.

2 what could be the implications on mileage/ km.

3 Will it have any adverse effects on the mechanicals (suspensions and all)?

Actually due to the lockdown n some close family death, I have actually not driven it at all.

Regards

Jacob
Old 16th November 2020, 06:26   #6
BHPian

I drive Amaze cvt S model with 175/65 R14 wheels.Although, oem JK vectra are running fine at 16k km till now, in near future I am also contemplating to upgrade to yokohama earth-1 185/65 R14 for better Ride comfort and improved gc.
Would love if someone could help with my queries:
1. I want to upsize on my original rim R14, or should I get R15 rims?
2. Oem R14 Rims are 5J, can they fit 185/65 R14 without any compromise?
3. Have heard earth-1 is better for Indian conditions especially sidewall punctures, or should I go for XM-2?
Thanks
Hemantteen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:38   #7
BHPian

I own a 2014 Honda Amaze VX AT. The car came with Goodyears 175/65/14. Got them changed last year to Yoko Earth1s 185/65/14 and boy oh boy has the handling and ride improved drastically.
I've also changed the OEM suspension setup and added rubber spacers that has added to the GC.

This combination of rubber and suspension has transformed the car and has become an able highway cruiser.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 22:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsamu View Post
So after the upgrade, the changes that I have noticed is better GC and the drive has also improved. Long term ownership would help gauge things more accurately so will keep it posted here.
Took delivery of the Amaze VX CVT Petrol today for my Dad. It has MRF ZVTV 175/65/R15 and the alloys are 5J.

I am getting a good deal on exchange for Yokohama BluEarth-GT 195/60/R15. My concern is with the width of the alloys which is 5J.

Any update on how the wider tyres are holding up on the stock alloys?
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 09:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemantteen View Post
1. I want to upsize on my original rim R14, or should I get R15 rims?
You can upsize on stock rims.

Quote:
2. Oem R14 Rims are 5J, can they fit 185/65 R14 without any compromise?
Yes.

Quote:
3. Have heard earth-1 is better for Indian conditions especially sidewall punctures, or should I go for XM-2?
I'd recommend Earth1 in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Any update on how the wider tyres are holding up on the stock alloys?
As per data available on the internet, 185 is the maximum recommended width for 5J wheel. Looking at the performance of Amaze CVT, 195 section tyres would be an overkill. No doubt you can mount them on stock alloys but the sidewall area will pop out considerably.
self_driven is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 16:11   #10
BHPian

Completed the upgrade. Makes a lot of difference both visually and while driving.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4a323a47193a4e35a05fc149c8403abf.jpeg  

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5467119b82584661b2df43a5df7686ad.jpeg  

Honda Amaze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-d922864d867043a898a4df443ba35727.jpeg  

fast_elegance is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Completed the upgrade. Makes a lot of difference both visually and while driving.

Here are some pics.

Thanks very much for sharing.

I'm also in the market for a tyre upgrade on my new Amaze. How's your upgrade holding up? I worry about 195mm tyres scraping against the wheel area while making a U-turn and such. And, do the tyres stick out a lot?
Old 10th January 2022, 14:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
Thanks very much for sharing.

I'm also in the market for a tyre upgrade on my new Amaze. How's your upgrade holding up? I worry about 195mm tyres scraping against the wheel area while making a U-turn and such. And, do the tyres stick out a lot?
The tyre held quite well and we completed about 12000 kms on them. It does not stick out much as seen in the pics and are just right. The ride was also very planted and plush on rough roads.

P.S. we sold the car recently as my Dad wanted a diesel car and will be taking delivery of i20 asta(o) this month.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 00:28   #13
BHPian

Hi Jacob,
I have a CVT Diesel 2019 and the tyre size that came along with its was 175 65 15 and had Bridgestone Ecopias on the oem Enkie alloys. I after a few days of delivery upgraded to 185 65 15. I went with the Falkens at the time as the car was only for local city traffic. Now as I am coming up for a change I wanted to know about your experiences with the 195 60 15 about the steering hardness and also the slow speed maneuverability. As with the 185s I have realised that the steering has become a bit hard and on slow speeds the steering rotation back to centre after cutting a turn is slower. To understand how much was the difference, I went to the dealership and test drove a cvt with original tyres. I felt there was a considerable difference, as in my car I felt I was riding a bull holding its horns. Though I am very satisfied with the stability on high speeds and traction I get on cornering(the reason for upgrade in the first place, as oem tyres have a tendency to under steering much quicker).
Would like to know your experience to gauge on another upgrade or stick to the size that I already have, but this time around only sticking to Michelins as I have not liked the Falkens at all.
Old 22nd April 2022, 16:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Hi Jacob,
I have a CVT Diesel 2019 and the tyre size that came along with its was 175 65 15 and had Bridgestone Ecopias on the oem Enkie alloys. I after a few days of delivery upgraded to 185 65 15. I went with the Falkens at the time as the car was only for local city traffic. Now as I am coming up for a change I wanted to know about your experiences with the 195 60 15 about the steering hardness and also the slow speed maneuverability. As with the 185s I have realised that the steering has become a bit hard and on slow speeds the steering rotation back to centre after cutting a turn is slower. To understand how much was the difference, I went to the dealership and test drove a cvt with original tyres. I felt there was a considerable difference, as in my car I felt I was riding a bull holding its horns. Though I am very satisfied with the stability on high speeds and traction I get on cornering(the reason for upgrade in the first place, as oem tyres have a tendency to under steering much quicker).
Would like to know your experience to gauge on another upgrade or stick to the size that I already have, but this time around only sticking to Michelins as I have not liked the Falkens at all.
I would like to suggest not to go for 195 upsizing if you are already experiencing weighted steering with 185. This will stress your power steering and eventually may cause a reduced lifespan of it. One way to ease the steering is to inflate the wheels with a bit of extra psi (say up to 2 psi) but that will also cost some of the riding comfort the wider tyres have to offer.

Another point to consider when upsizing from the default size is that on wet roads braking distance may slightly increase. Although on dry roads it remains more or less the same.
Old 25th April 2022, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Have you noticed any impact on the mileage due to the tyre upgrade? I to have the Michelin XM2 on my Amaze - while the factory fitted MRF ones lasted for 40K, the Michelins lasted 60K, and the next set lasted about 50K. I have only done 10K on my 4th set - so some more time to go before I change up.

So far I have not tried any tyre upgrade - My Amaze Diesel gets 30kmpl if I drive at 70-80kmph and 26 at 90 and 22 at 100 and 20 at 110.

I understand that broader tyres will result in lower mileage - but how much lower has been the question on my mind and I have just stayed at the same factory sizes. However, I am looking for a smoother ride as I expect my parents to use my car more often going forward, and hence looking to upgrade when my current set wears out, if the mileage penalty is not much.

So if some of you are able to quantify how much the mileage penalty is, it would help me make up my mind about upgrading. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks