Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 13:18   #91
BHPian

Re: Govt. imposes severe restrictions on tyre imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Got the Conti ultracontact UC6 for my Dad's i20 in the 195/55 R16 size. My personal GT TSI used the Michellin primacy ST and i was greatly satisfied with them. So tried sourcing the same for the i20 too, but in vain. As far as UC6 is considered, one advantage was that the tyre was brand new and hardly 3 weeks old when i got it in end October. Drove it for very few hundred KMs, so can't give proper feedback. But in the limited driving, i felt it is as good as the Michelin primacy ST, if not better. The UC6 seems to be Conti's newer comfort oriented premium tyre and it has extremely low road noise and seems to have a softer compound. Can't comment on longevity as its newly launched and have to wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I was in the same dilemma, Michelin 4STs were not available, went ahead with Yokohama Blue Earth, satisfied with the performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Initial reaction from the few highway runs that I did over the weekend. The UC6 is definitely more quiet and pliant compared to the P3ST I had. I can definitely hear the engine more at highway speeds. The difference is really drastic when the road surface is a bit rough or if the road is cobbled - interlocking tiles are a common feature here due to water logging. Maybe I am feeling a drastic difference as I am comparing a 52k run Michelin with a brand new Conti. But, I think I could have gone for that 16" upgrade now. The handling is fine too, the UC6 was able to hold well on the corners, but it is still too early to talk about that now.
Been waiting for a couple months to change out the 195/60R15 XM2s from my City, in the hopes that maybe the imports would start soon, but in vain.

While my tires still have some tread left (despite ~80k KMs done - those XM2s run loooong, especially with 5 wheel rotation), but their age is showing, with small cracks starting to appear (the tires were put on in 2014, and 2013 manufactured).

I was hoping to change to P4STs, given that with my mileage, the tire is likely to age out before the tread can be fully utilized, but with those out of stock everywhere, I'm wondering which ones to get.

Based on what I've seen on this thread (esp the quotes above), the options seem to be: Conti UC6 and Yokohama Blue Earth.
I'm also considering the XM2+, since that's available and the XM2 set has served me reasonable well (even though I really wanted to upgrade to the P4STs this time).

Any more feedback/experience anyone has with the options above?
Old 14th January 2021, 21:57   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Been waiting for a couple months to change out the 195/60R15 XM2s from my City, in the hopes that maybe the imports would start soon, but in vain.

While my tires still have some tread left (despite ~80k KMs done - those XM2s run loooong, especially with 5 wheel rotation), but their age is showing, with small cracks starting to appear (the tires were put on in 2014, and 2013 manufactured).

I was hoping to change to P4STs, given that with my mileage, the tire is likely to age out before the tread can be fully utilized, but with those out of stock everywhere, I'm wondering which ones to get.

Based on what I've seen on this thread (esp the quotes above), the options seem to be: Conti UC6 and Yokohama Blue Earth.
I'm also considering the XM2+, since that's available and the XM2 set has served me reasonable well (even though I really wanted to upgrade to the P4STs this time).

Any more feedback/experience anyone has with the options above?
The Conti UC6 is doing duty in my Dad's i20 for 2 months now and very impressed with it. With positive feedback, changed to the same in my GT TSI too this week. Overall very happy with these tyres. They offer good wet grip, very silent and comfort is on par with the Primacy series I had earlier. With Michelin tyres not available yet freely and even if available, its quoted exorbitant prices. Michelin's loss is Conti's gain with the later manufacturing its tyres in India. The icing on cake is the tyres i got are barely a month old, manufactured in december. Will have to wait and see regarding how it performs with more miles, but for now, am happy with the Conti UC6.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 18:51   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
The Conti UC6 is doing duty in my Dad's i20 for 2 months now and very impressed with it. With positive feedback, changed to the same in my GT TSI too this week. Overall very happy with these tyres. They offer good wet grip, very silent and comfort is on par with the Primacy series I had earlier. With Michelin tyres not available yet freely and even if available, its quoted exorbitant prices. Michelin's loss is Conti's gain with the later manufacturing its tyres in India. The icing on cake is the tyres i got are barely a month old, manufactured in december. Will have to wait and see regarding how it performs with more miles, but for now, am happy with the Conti UC6.
Decided to go with the same myself. Initial feedback seems positive, a lot better than the XM2s. I've experienced the Primacy 3STs on the Altis, but that car has a much softer suspension setup so can't really compare it with this.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, it was helpful in me making my decision.
Old 21st January 2021, 15:52   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Michelin passenger Car tyres no longer available in India due import restrictions.

According to the French tyre maker, the licensing restrictions imposed by the Indian government has made it difficult for the company to import passenger car tyres in the country. This has constrained the supply, preventing the company to supply four-wheeler tyres to its dealer partners in the country until a further update from the government. It will, however, continue to supply tyres for trucks and buses as these are manufactured in India in Tamil Nadu. Going forward, Michelin will focus on tyres for two-wheelers, trucks, and buses. It will also continue to offer support service to the partners

Govt. imposes severe restrictions on tyre imports-045abfe602e04c6ca4a07ec7dfc7a0a2.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st January 2021 at 15:55.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 16:44   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Michelin passenger Car tyres no longer available in India due import restrictions.
Sigh!

https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/fe...n-india/709996

Surprised as I thought Michelin manufactured at least SOME of the 16" & below car tyres in India. Not good news at all for customers of course. Continental should gain massively with their Made-in-India tyres.

I'm assuming authorised tyre importers (who get licenses from the GoI) will tie up with Michelin Thailand and import them.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st January 2021 at 17:55. Reason: Merged the two posts. Thanks
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:30   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
This is really sad, the stupidity of this ill thought out blanket ban on all imports will start to hurt the common man, right from customers to distributors of Michelin tyres.
Have Michelins on both my cars and i am all praises for the quality of the rubber they use. PILOT SPORT series is exceptionally good with leech like grip and zero road noise. Wonder what would happen if one of the tyre gets damaged now, running on 3 Michelin and 1 Continental would be a very sorry sight.
Pirelli has had a lot of quality issues, MRF and JK do not yet have tyres for cars like the 3 series or C class and with Michelin off, i really do not see any other option other than Conti's. Hope Michelin starts production in India but with knee jerk bans like this, i wouldn't blame them if they do not.
coolboy007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:36   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Gives a whole new meaning to "traveling without a spare tyre"
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:32   #98
Senior - BHPian

Michelin is the best tyre, there is. I feel really sad about the state of affairs. Even their car mats (excellent quality) isnt available anymore. What happens to all their employees here? I know a newbie MBA grad in sales at Michelin, who jumped ship, and is in the hospitality sector now
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sigh!Not good news at all for customers of course. Continental should gain massively with their Made-in-India tyres. I'm assuming authorised tyre importers (who get licenses from the GoI) will tie up with Michelin Thailand and import them.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 20:13   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, this is not the full picture.

Please dont go hyper over it.

Normal Michelin dealers wont be getting Michelin tyres. But premium dealers will get it from March end or April. ����

Limited numbers in 15 and 16 inches but good numbers in 17" and above. Supposedly, Michelin will be focusing on premium cars and sizes and they plan to introduce many new sizes in 17", 18" and above. They have asked me for my wishlist and I am in the process of giving them my wish list.

There are three tiers in Michelin for dealers. Basic dealers, then what they call Michelin Priority Partner(recently rebranded as "Michelin Tyres and Service" or MTS) and then the top of the line called Tyre Plus which has recently been rebranded to Michelin Tyres and Car Service (MTCS).

They also have aggressive plans for two wheeler BIAS tyres. But 2W Radial tyres will take time. Still no permission to import them.

Can a mod please sticky my post which is ACTUAL information rather than a WhatsApp forward taken out of context?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 21:19   #100
BHPian

Thanks for the post Nikhil, just for clarification, did you(or other dealer of any category you know of) receive similar letter which is shared here? is there a way to confirm the veracity of this letter from Michelin.

Is this an excuse to jack up tyre prices?

I am intrigued because I noticed similar conflict in the exit of Harley Davidson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Guys, this is not the full picture.

Please dont go hyper over it.

Last edited by setuniket : 21st January 2021 at 21:20.
Old 28th February 2021, 18:32   #101
BHPian

Now Falken has followed suit. Actually these are players who haven't set up manufacturing facilities here. And the most cost effective country to import from has been China.
Attached Thumbnails
Govt. imposes severe restrictions on tyre imports-screenshot_20210228182940622_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circular to Dealers and Distributors.pdf (94.8 KB, 117 views)
WasavaTyres is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:05   #102
BHPian

So, I've done about ~1k kms on the new Conti UC6 set.

Impressions:
> Definitely a more comfortable than the XM2 set I had on earlier. Only confirms what was expected, based on my reading on this forum.

> Road noise is significantly reduced. This was a pleasant surprise. It's made all the other noises in a 7 year old car a lot more noticeable, though :P

> Something that's starkly different is how apparent the difference in ride quality gets with just a couple PSI difference in tire pressure. I could never guess if the tires were underinflated with the previous XM2 set, but with the UC6 set, I can feel the difference almost instantly. The tire store where I got them over-inflated the tires a little, so I used a gauge to bring it down to the right pressure (about 2 psi), and the ride quality got so much better. I think this is due to the XM2s having a stiffer side wall, making them less sensitive to pressure changes.

> Haven't really had a chance to check wet conditions performance - will update once I have a chance to drive in the rain.
Travis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:33   #103
BHPian

Tyre import ban?

I have been trying to get some tyres for my Kawasaki Z900 since the last 5 months with no avail. I keep getting the same response that there is some sort of ban on importing tyres .

Since I didn't see any thread here about it, I wanted to know the other people's experiences.
RodRowdyBiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre import ban?

Get in touch with Torque Block who are based out of Bangalore (can check their Insta page as well) on the number provided in the image below. They will help you out with the size and make required and will ship it to you as well.

Govt. imposes severe restrictions on tyre imports-3ff822812774458cba388d878cfa7e7b.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre import ban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRowdyBiker View Post
I have been trying to get some tyres for my Kawasaki Z900 since the last 5 months with no avail. I keep getting the same response that there is some sort of ban on importing tyres .

Since I didn't see any thread here about it, I wanted to know the other people's experiences.
A lot has already been discussed about the ban on this (Michelin India tyre supply disruption | Tyre imports restricted by Govt) thread. It is true that due to the tyre import ban, various brands and sizes are not available easily.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 19th May 2021 at 20:01.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks