Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 10:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread

Mods, I could not find any thread for 6th gen Elantra Tyre & Wheel queries. Please merge this thread if there is one.

Hello Everyone,
My uncle has a 2017 Hyundai Elantra SX(O) Petrol AT. They have to change their tyres due to excessive wear and tyre on the Stock Hankooks at only 36K Kilometres. Please let me know the suitable alternatives in the stock size itself (205/60R16).
Also, the wear and tear problem came up even when the car has never been driven off-road. Is this is a persistent problem with many cars or a one-off incident? Could any senior BHPian shed some light on this?

Thank you in advance,
Akashdeep

Last edited by akash_v12 : 18th June 2020 at 10:49.
Old 18th June 2020, 13:46   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread

I would recommend going for the brand Continental. They have a reputation of being reliable and safe.

The tire wear and tear can happen due to a number of reasons such as:
  • The temperature of the asphalt road.
  • The tire pressure (low and high is both at serving risks)
  • Potholes (our India is famous for that)
  • Driving behavior (Screeching the tires or steering too hard)
  • Car carrying weight.
  • Neglected punters.

There are numerous reasons as to what can cause the tire to wear off easily as it is in contact with the road all time. My JK tires had given up at 30,000 km approx. We switched over to Continental and the tires are in a good condition.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread

A premium car must have premium tyres. Yokohama BluEarth (check BHPian reviews on this thread) & Michelin Primacy would be good choices. They will especially transform the behaviour, considering the rubbish Hankooks that the car was earlier running on.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 18:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have said this before and I'll say it again (because mine would be the third reply on a new thread).

Beyond a point, it wont make a huge difference for a normal car owner.

Now, each tyre is supposed to have it's own set of pros and cons. Someone will say Michelin has better ride comfort than the Conti or the Yokohama grips better than the Bridgestone or the Bridgestone will last longer than the Apollo.

Do keep in mind that any such differences are quite marginal and wont really make a difference. It's all in your mind.

The quality of all these tyres are beyond question. None will fail (just ignore google reviews and one-off hyped up cases). If you hit a pothole at 70-80kmph, no tyre will survive. Take it from me.

Go with a tyre that fits your budget, from a brand that you like. If you are really confused, find a tyre dealer who you trust and who you like and buy what he suggests (if you trust him).

Yokohama, Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, Perfinza by MRF Apollo Alnac 4G are all good tyres/brands. You cant go wrong with any of these tyres.

Beyond a certain point, it's all about your peace of mind. Are YOU Happy with your purchase? Or are you going to buy a tyre with a bit of reluctance just because some so called Internet expert(me!) said it's the best tyre!

Now, that so-called internet expert will say this -- the Michelin P4ST is my pick if you are ready to spend and are ok paying a small premium. The Perfinza is my pick if you want a surprisingly good tyre at a good VFM price.

But if, for some reason, you dont like these tyres or brands, go for a tyre that you like.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 18:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that your tire confusion is over - If not just buy a suitable load and speed rated tire. A good tire dealer can get you the right stuff. Try looking up team bhp`s directory for Pune, if it was Bangalore, I could have got you my contacts.

Try not to get noisy tires (they are also called performance tires as if others dont).

Enough about the tires, since you spoke about excessive wear. The first order business should be to fix the alignment.

Electronic power steering cars are tolerant to alignment errors, they automatically correct to certain degree but the poor tire will get eaten in the process. Please take it to a good alignment shop (again refer the TBHP directory) and get it fixed, make sure the guy tests the car, aligns and again tests the car - else walk away.

~ 40K is good enough for a factory tire, go ahead and change it.
Old 19th June 2020, 19:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I would recommend going for the brand Continental. They have a reputation of being reliable and safe.
Thank you for the recommendation of Continental tyres, momsonlydriver. However, my brother has said that he is ready to compromise on a bit of performance for comfort (which was not the case with the Hankooks). So, he might actually look at Yokohamas or Michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A premium car must have premium tires. Yokohama BluEarth
GTO, thanks for the recommendation. We've personally installed Yoko BluEarth's on the Vento and I definitely have a better experience with them than the stock Apollo's. I will surely pass on your advice to my cousin.

- An incident happened in the Vento in August of last year when the Front Right tire fell into a deep pothole on the ghat section in the expressway and came out fully punctured with a big hole on the tread making it unusable. The tires at that point in time were barely 3 months old. Is it a characteristic of the BluEarth's - maybe due to a soft compound (I'm not an expert on tires) or just a one-off incident? Could you please help me with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I have said this before and I'll say it again
Hey Nikhil, thank you for your advice. My brother has been wanting to opt for something that will last for a long time on Indian Conditions, so preferably brands like Yokohama, Michelins, or Apollos is what he should go for if I'm right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Now that your tire confusion is over - If not just buy a suitable load and speed-rated tire. A good tire dealer can get you the right stuff. Try looking up team bhp`s directory for Pune.
Hi Kosfactor, I checked with my brother and none of these could be the problem except the high temperature of the roads. He feels that the problem lies on the concrete roads and also partly on wear and tear due to usage as Tire Pressure is always maintained to the company-recommended pressures and alignment and balancing is done every 5000KMs. Do you think that those reasons could be a factor?

P.S - My Cousin resides in Bhopal and not here in Pune.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 19th June 2020 at 19:46. Reason: Addition of comments
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@AkashV12 - uneven tirewear is almost always a suspension / alignment problem. Road temperature and concrete road won't cause this. Alignment shops usually prefer to touch only the toe in/out , you need to take it to a good shop to check if the Camber is also within spec, sometimes it can be adjusted, sometimes it may need replacement of parts but you need to find a reputed place to get this checked.

We still rely on non electronic alignment shops here , they need to just look at the wear pattern of the tire to know what's wrong and if they can fix it.

Also note that tire failures are increasingly common due to low profile tires and customers not checking air pressure as per spec regularly.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone!
Here are the pictures of what has happened to the Front Tyres on the Elantra. These holes are found only in the Fronts and not the Rears. The stock tyres are Hankook 205/60 R16s.
Could anyone please explain what the possible reason might be?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img20200623wa0002.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img20200623wa0004.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img20200623wa0001.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img20200623wa0003.jpg  

Hyundai Elantra: Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-img20200623wa0000.jpg  

Old 28th June 2020, 08:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Aggressive driving? Bad roads? Mis-alignment?

These are some of the things that could have caused this issue.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:46   #10
BHPian

Hey akash
Hope your doing well
So since the stock tyres are 205/60 R16s
Any idea, what is the ideal upsize for city driving,preferably not to make the steering too tight?
Old 11th January 2021, 23:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
So since the stock tires are 205/60 R16s.
Hi Raghav! Although I'm no expert here, I believe it's best if the size remains the same to maintain the same feeling that you get from the steering now.
I'd recommend asking tire experts like Nikhil. They'd surely be able to answer you better.
Old 12th January 2021, 22:51   #12
BHPian

Hey Nikhil,
Could you kindly help?
Is there a need to upsize for city driving? I guess the steering should not get too tight is the main requirement,
Tyre noise is drained out with decent ICE
Old 12th April 2021, 11:19   #13
BHPian

I have a similar issue as Akash on my MIL's Elantra. The car has been sitting since just post the lockdown and the tyres have nearly rotten away.

On the lookout for tyres in the stock 205/60R16.
Contemplating between Bridgestone Turanza T001, Michelin Primacy4 ST and the Goodyear Assurance ArmorGrip.

Any inputs on this appreciated.
Old 16th June 2021, 10:35   #14
BHPian

hey fellas, hope all are doing fine. i want to upgrade to 225.50.17 on my 2017 elantra.

how is newton nt5000 tyre? has any one used it?

rgrds
Old 17th June 2021, 01:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
I have a similar issue as Akash on my MIL's Elantra. The car has been sitting since just post the lockdown and the tyres have nearly rotten away.

On the lookout for tyres in the stock 205/60R16.
Contemplating between Bridgestone Turanza T001, Michelin Primacy4 ST and the Goodyear Assurance ArmorGrip.

Any inputs on this appreciated.
Hi!

Sorry for the delay in replying. If you've not gone ahead with the change, I think Michelins have been restocked now and like most have recommended, I'll also advise you to go ahead with the Michelins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
hey fellas, hope all are doing fine. i want to upgrade to 225.50.17 on my 2017 elantra.

how is newton nt5000 tyre? has any one used it?

rgrds
Hi!

I haven't heard of this brand anywhere, in any tyre shop. I feel it's honestly better to stick to the Michelins or Yokos at this price point.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you any help on the size change. I think it should work, but you might confirm this once.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks