Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 23:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mixing Tyres in same car-Is it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
My Duster AWD is 6.5 yrs old and done only 43K, running on stock MRF tyres. Recently, front driver side got a side wall puncture and the puncture-wala told me to replace only that one as the others have atleast 10k kms worth life left. I listened to him because I am not using the car much (less than 200kms per month due to pandemic) and its 100% used within the city only. It is Yokohama Geolander (exact same size).
If your tyres are 6.5 years old, please replace all tyres. Though you drive within city, there no point in using tyres this old.

Getting stranded with a tyre punctured (or torn apart) can be an ordeal even in the city; it could be a traffic packed road or an odd time / day when tyre shops are closed.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 23:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mixing Tyres in same car-Is it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
Can you please advice what is the right way to approach this.
Which car is it? What's the condition of the tyres? Are they considerably worn out after 35k kms? Please post some pictures if possible.

Basic rule = same tyres on same axle (applies to tyre brand, tread pattern, size, tread depth)

If you're planning to replace the other tyres in the next 5-10k kms (or say 1 year from now) due to wear/age, buy 2 tyres and use them as Mr.Boss suggested. I do not see the need to replace all four if the other tyres are in good condition.

If you're short on cash, you can also consider putting the spare tyre to use provided it's of the same brand and size.

Last edited by self_driven : 22nd July 2021 at 23:41.
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:26   #63
BHPian

Re: Replacing just 1 tyre?

Thanks for all your advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
35K and 3 yrs is a good timeline for tires.
I meant 3 tyres that have run 35k Km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Which car is it? What's the condition of the tyres? Are they considerably worn out after 35k kms? Please post some pictures if possible.
It is a Hyundai i10, used mostly for within city runs in NCR. Even in pre-covid times, my weekly run was 60km plus one year lost in lockdown and another year in bangalore where i figured a scooter was way better than driving a non-KA registration car. The wear on tyres is not much as i drive carefully, maintain well and Delhi NCR roads are good. Can't share pictures right now as it is in the garage undergoing repairs right now, will do as soon as i get it back. However they are quite old in terms of time. I know it will be sacrilege for some BHPians, but these tyres have crossed 9 years.

Tyre replacement was on the cards but then i was also thinking if i should sell the car after crossing 10 years. If i didnt sell it, i was definitely going for a mid-life makeover including tyres for the car.

Quote:
If you're short on cash, you can also consider putting the spare tyre to use provided it's of the same brand and size.
The plan for now: use spare + new in front, use old ones in rear till the time mind is made up on what is to be done with the car. For high-speed, long distance highway runs, new Creta will suffice.
Totoro11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 13:46   #64
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Need to to change the Tyres on my Honda Civic. Was planning to get stock sized 195/65/R15 in Good Year Eagle NCT5. These were the original tyres that the car came with. The first replacement tyres were Good Year Assurance, but I haven't been happy with their performance. I could go for Michelin Primacy 4ST, but am not sure if it would be worth it to spend so much on a 10 year old car .

Are there any pitfalls with the NCTs ? or any other tyre that folks would like to recommend within this price range, that I should look at. Many thanks in advance for your assistance on this.
Old 18th September 2021, 22:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Need to to change the Tyres on my Honda Civic.
I could go for Michelin Primacy 4ST, but am not sure if it would be worth it to spend so much on a 10 year old car
If your requirement is to change 1 (or 2 tyres), stick the brand, size and series of rest of the tyres.

Otherwise have a look at this existing thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...de-thread.html (Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:29   #66
BHPian

Need to replace single 265/60 R18 MRF wanderer tyre in my Ford Endeavour. Reason side wall deep scratch 3 inch long but no problem otherwise and tyre holding on for quite sometime. Did not replace due to only city driving and COVID causing low running. The tread depth in tyres are around 5-6 mm with 28000 km speedometer reading.
Question- Can I just replace one tyre of same make and type as the new tyre will have tread depth of 9 mm while the old one on same axle with have 5 mm.
Old 20th September 2021, 22:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Need to replace single 265/60 R18 MRF wanderer tyre in my Ford Endeavour
I was presented with the same Predicament for my EcoSport and I went ahead and replaced just one tyre more so because I might have to sell my vehicle as I will be relocating back to US . Understand that this is not recommended but my running has been very less and got the 4 other tyres examined by a local tyre dealer and based on his assessment went ahead and replaced one of the tyres.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:18   #68
BHPian

I had replaced all the 4 tyres of my car together when they were around 5 years old @45K km, but I forgot to replace the spare tyre. I have used that spare tyre only once when the car was 1 year old but never again. Now that tyre is almost 8 years old. Is it ok to use it in emergency or should I buy a new one? From this thread discussion it seems I cannot use that tyre.
Old 12th October 2021, 21:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Is it ok to use it in emergency or should I buy a new one? From this thread discussion it seems I cannot use that tyre.
Spare tyre is tucked away in the boot and is not exposed to elements unlike other tyres. Take it out and do a visual inspection. Emergency or not, I think that spare tyre can be put to use if it looks in good shape. Mine was as good as new (visually) after 7 years with no signs of drying/hardening or surface cracks.

Last edited by self_driven : 12th October 2021 at 21:31.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 21:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Spare tyre is tucked away in the boot and is not exposed to elements unlike other tyres. Take it out and do a visual inspection. Emergency or not, I think that spare tyre can be put to use if it looks in good shape. Mine was as good as new (visually) after 7 years with no signs of drying/hardening or surface cracks.
Spare tyre in my Ertiga is located at the bottom , not inside boot like in sedans. So one side of the tyre is always exposed to outside. Anyway I will do an inspection first. Thanks for the tips!
Old 6th November 2021, 18:34   #71
BHPian

Friends, need your advice.

My Yaris came with Goodyear tyres 185/60R15. Few months back, I noticed that the front left tyre was leaking air more frequently than all other tyres (thanks to TPMS).
I got the tyre inspected at a reputed tyre dealer. They found 2 minor punctures and applied tubeless tyre puncture strips and all was good.

This week, I traveled to Aurangabad from Pune on Thursday. On Friday morning, I found the front left tyre flat. On inspection, the tyre was leaking again at the same spot. Tubeless tyre puncture strips were once again put at same place. I was apprehensive as I had to travel back the next day. However, the tyre held well and I was able to drive back to Pune without any major hiccups.

However, I don't want to take any risk on long trips in future and am planning to get one tyre replaced.

I had already researched and had a plan to replace all the 4 tyres with Michelin 195/60 R15 when time was appropriate (based on tread wear or age of tyre 5th/6th year). Yaris is currently in the 4th year and has done around 11k kms.

I read through all the posts and it seems the recommendation is to have the same brand, size and tread pattern for both the wheels at the front.

I can think of the following options -

Option 1 - Replace front left tyre with new Goodyear 185/60R15.
When replacement is due, replace all 4 tyres with Michelin 195/60R15. Is it ok then to use Goodyear in case of emergency (different brand, pattern and size)?

Option 2 - Replace the front left tyre with the stepney goodyear 185/60R15 and have new Michelin 195/60R15 as stepney.
Is it ok to use Michelin in case of emergency (different brand, pattern and size)? When replacement is due, replace all 4 tyres with Michelin 195/60R15. I will end up having all tyres including stepney of same size and brand.

Am I missing any other options? What is the recommendation?

Last edited by Simhi : 6th November 2021 at 18:35.
Old 6th November 2021, 18:45   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Option 1 - Replace front left tyre with new Goodyear 185/60R15.
When replacement is due, replace all 4 tyres with Michelin 195/60R15. Is it ok then to use Goodyear in case of emergency (different brand, pattern and size)?

Option 2 - Replace the front left tyre with the stepney goodyear 185/60R15 and have new Michelin 195/60R15 as stepney.
Is it ok to use Michelin in case of emergency (different brand, pattern and size)? When replacement is due, replace all 4 tyres with Michelin 195/60R15. I will end up having all tyres including stepney of same size and brand.

Am I missing any other options? What is the recommendation?
Option 1 is ok. But use the new tyre at the rear to prevent funny steering issues.

Option 2 is something I wont recommend as your new tyre will start aging sitting in the boot of your car. Secondly, if you buy 1 Michelin today and then want to buy 3 more in a few months, there is no guarantee you will get it.

Personally, if you have to buy a new tyre and keep it as a spare, just buy another Goodyear as it's cheap.

For 11000 kms, it doesnt make sense to do anything more than buy one single tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 18:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Option 1 is ok. But use the new tyre at the rear to prevent funny steering issues.

Personally, if you have to buy a new tyre and keep it as a spare, just buy another Goodyear as it's cheap.
Thanks for your inputs. Bought a new Goodyear tyre and kept it at the rear as suggested. The same was also suggested by the tyre dealer.
Old 16th November 2021, 15:09   #74
BHPian

I have a similar dilemma and would be obliged to be advised from the learned folks here .

I got the 4 OEM tyres (MRF ZV2k) of the Ecosport (Model 2016), changed to Goodyear Assurance (same profile ) after driving 60000 kms in 3 years.

However, the spare wheel (which is as much exposed to sun and weather due to its positioning in Ecosport) was never changed, or for that matter, used.

Just 2 years into driving the GY Assurance tyre, one of the tyre totally lost its tread depth and had to be replaced.

Since all the other tyres had acceptable tread depth , service centre person suggested me to replace just 1 tyre , and pair it with the OEM spare tyre (of the same profile) .

Though, my point of concern is that , if its OK to use the 5 year old tyre even if the tread depth is as good as new.

My OEM tyre have also developed some surface cracks as can be seen in the image (the camera exaggerated it a bit ) . I was worried if it could lead to tyre bursts at triple digit?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing just 1 tyre?-img_20211115_072015.jpg  

Replacing just 1 tyre?-img_20211115_072515.jpg  

Old 16th November 2021, 16:14   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
I was worried if it could lead to tyre bursts at triple digit?
The tread may separate from the rest of the tire, best to get rid of it. So what is the solution? Purchase 2 GY assurance of the same type you have, put them in either front or rear axle and use one of the better old tires as a spare.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed