Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Offset values - what are the consequences for transgressors?

Hi all,
Am planning to upgrade my Swift stock steel rims to alloys. As I understand, the stock rims have a ET offset of 42mm (please correct me if I am wrong). Does this mean that the new alloys also need to have exactly the same offset? Is there any tolerance limit?
Old 21st April 2007, 10:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Hi all,
Am planning to upgrade my Swift stock steel rims to alloys. As I understand, the stock rims have a ET offset of 42mm (please correct me if I am wrong). Does this mean that the new alloys also need to have exactly the same offset? Is there any tolerance limit?

Hi TNA,

I believe there are 02 points one has to look at while upgrading your rims; PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) and Offset. Get one of these things wrong and you are gonna have major problems with the suspension and handling. For the Swift the PCD is 100 and the Offset as you said is 42mm.

However, i have upgraded my stock rims on my Swift Vxi from 5.5 X 14" to 6.5 X 15". I purchased my rims from abroad from OZ Racing. I never knew the value of the the offset required so i had no choice but to ask them. They told me that for the Swift, it should be preferably greater than 42. So i am presently using OZ Racing rims of specification 6.5 X 15", PCD 100 & Offset 43. Its been almost 3 months now and im having no trouble at all what so ever. The car is handling brilliantly!! Im using Goodyear Eagle F1 tryes of size 195/60/R15

All said and done if you are purchasing your wheels from here, make sure you get the above specifications right or you will be in serious trouble. This is the main reason as to why i purchased my wheels from abroad coz the guys here had no clue about what offset is.

Hope the above helps

Epic
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:13   #3
BHPian

here is an offset calculator
Wheel Offset Calculator

i am still a bit confused about offsets, yes i read the tyrebible page and more.
can someone confirm the offsets do not have to be changed when upsizing the tyre?
ive seen many bhpians go from 175/80R13 to 205/50/R15 on lancers. the offset of the lancer is +40mm (am i right?) so the new wheel should have the same offset?
is it better for the tire to extend out more or go into the wheel well? (for performance NOT looks)
Old 20th June 2007, 20:10   #4

wheel offsets determine how FAR the face of the wheel will be from the hub face. If you want to give your car a wider track (make the wheels look wide) you will go for a larger offset.

HOWEVER - caution is required. You can usually play with about +-5 offset before your suspension links become stressed.

Upsizing a wheel has nothing to do with offsets. Maintaining the CORRECT offset of a wheel is always recommended. The other way of getting a wider track is by the use of spacers whih 'push' wheels out wider closer to the body edge.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
The other way of getting a wider track is by the use of spacers whih 'push' wheels out wider closer to the body edge.
But even with correct spacers won't there be undue stress on the suspension/steering components considering that you are tampering the Suspension/Steering geometry? Especially given our poor road conditions?
Old 20th June 2007, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there will be...
Old 24th June 2007, 17:38   #7

yes there will be stress for sure...... however, most cars nowadays have a built in tolerance of about 5-10mm on each wheel built in to cater for 'mods'. It is not recommended to put spacers anyway........ better to place the correct wheels with the right offsets that give you the look you want without messing with the functionality of the suspension and wheel setup.
Old 25th June 2007, 00:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but the point is it will work OK on roads abroad where the conditions are good but in our terrible conditions I suspect there'll be a increased rate of suspension/steering components failure.
Old 25th June 2007, 02:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Also, when you say cars built nowadays, our car scene is some years behind yours.
Old 9th October 2007, 10:49   #10

Does anyone know the offset for Hyundai Verna. I have an ABS model and hence the stock tyres given with the car is 185, 65 - R14.

I want to change my steel rims to League alloy wheels. Hence I need to know the offset.

Pls help with the offset info.

By the way how does one find this info. definitely does not seem to be in the owners manual.

Most Viewed