Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:37   #31
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Elfie, If it's 6 or 6.5J they should be fine. 6J would be perfect whereas 6.5J would make the alloys stick out.
The alloys are sticking out, vid. Look at the pics. Which is why I advised v.tec to change them immediately, considering that he's just bought them a couple of days ago.

Will the others too please jump in & confirm / debunk.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
The alloys are sticking out, vid. Look at the pics. Which is why I advised v.tec to change them immediately, considering that he's just bought them a couple of days ago.

Will the others too please jump in & confirm / debunk.
Yes they are kind-of sticking out.

Personally, I would prefer a max of 5.5J which is what I am running on my 205's. Even the 195's I earlier had on the same rims stuck out slightly. So in my limited knowledge, 6+ is more than it should be.

v.tec: A little late in the day, but a few quick pointers:
  • Never take opinion/information from the same person who is selling you the goods.
  • Ask for opinion on the forum before you make the purchase
  • Also, please realize that Tires are one of the most important aspects of the car. Ironically, they are treated like a commodity product, something which they are not in the very least.
  • Lastly, smoothness & comfort are just few of the parameters. We are talking about Tires - not your livingroom couch.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
All I'm saying is it may not be the best (which is why I moved them away from the OHC) but it ain't THAT bad either (which is why you'll still find them on my Getz).

I may wrong about the Tire, maybe it is pathetic afterall - but lets review it maturely and not go by hearsay, esp. by other Tire dealers
Well I don't know if you read carefully what I said but I think it was something on the lines of "It didn't impress me much". It's a decent tyre, but my opinion is that better alternatives are available.

Quote:
p.s.

OT:
Ishan, we've discussed this before and I'm sure you won't disagree that here in Delhi we have a mentality to bitch/crib if we see someone selling a particular product like hotcakes. This tendency gets aggravated if we have friends in circles that sell competitive products - this could be Tires, ICE or Ractive Filters - thats irrelevant. This is why I'd like to use this thread as a mature discussion on the Merits/De-merits of Silverstone Tires.
Well I don't know about the tendency Manveet & wouldn't like to comment on it. But coming to this particular product yes it sells well. Infact, if you read some of my earlier suggestions I have recommended people to go in for Prestige alloys (Imported & Distributed by the same chap) which I fully agree are good quality for the price & also availability is not a problem. On my personal suggestion 4 friends are running these alloys with one of them having used them for over 4 years without any issues.

If I say I wouldn't recommend the Silverstone's then it could be that my experience is contrary to popular opinion about them. As for my judgement being clouded by friend's selling competing products, I don't think that's the case but if you do then you are more than welcome to disregard what I say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion & mine is what I've stated.

It would be best if you & other users of this product would post up a review of your experience. As far as I am concerned I recommend the following things:

Correct Size
Good Brands
Good Patterns

What the other person wants or chooses or where he chooses to get it from is their choice entirely.

Quote:
2 Days Later.

I'm still waiting for the PM.
PM sent.

Last edited by iraghava : 23rd April 2007 at 17:45.
iraghava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:51   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

PM sent.
and why would you not share the information? no, dont p.m. me the reasons

manson.
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
and why would you not share the information?
It's a trade only information Manson. It would not be right to post it on a public forum. Hope you understand
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I don't know if you read carefully what I said but I think it was something on the lines of "It didn't impress me much". It's a decent tyre, but my opinion is that better alternatives are available.
Well, I don't know if you read carefully what I said, but for your benefit I'll repeat once more and highlight relevant in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
I may wrong about the Tire, maybe it is pathetic afterall - but lets review it maturely and not go by hearsay, esp. by other Tire dealers.
I didn't say that you said it was not a good Tire. I was talking about other Tire Dealers.

Just so you know, I took inputs from 4-5 dealers before buying Silverstone and none had anything good to say about the Tire. Ofcourse, it goes without saying that they didn't stock Silverstone and neither could they source it even if I asked them to.

Like I mentioned, I am trying to have a mature discussion here, so lets not get heated up on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
As for my judgement being clouded by friend's selling competing products, I don't think that's the case but if you do then you are more than welcome to disregard what I say.
I apologize if it seemed that I was suggesting that your judgment was clouded - but IMHO I think you are over-reacting. I was speaking in some other context but nevermind, I don't feel like clarifying an taking this thread on a tangent till finally the Mods step in once more.

Therefore, to conclude our little dialog - I apologize if my tone offended you - I used the same tone on v.tec's approach of buying the Tires and he's cool. So chill. Enjoy. Have a Beer - we have nothing to clarify over PM or when we run into each other

Last edited by manveet : 23rd April 2007 at 23:46.
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
and why would you not share the information? no, dont p.m. me the reasons
Quote:
It's a trade only information Manson. It would not be right to post it on a public forum. Hope you understand
Stop your kich-kich guys.

Nothing much Manson yaar - he just mentioned what he thought/knows the margins are like - but no proof as such.

Based on preliminary googling done by me - the Indian Retail price of these Tires is about 75% of that in Singapore and comparable to that of Malaysia.
Old 24th April 2007, 00:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Yes they are kind-of sticking out.

Personally, I would prefer a max of 5.5J which is what I am running on my 205's. Even the 195's I earlier had on the same rims stuck out slightly. So in my limited knowledge, 6+ is more than it should be.

A 5.5J Rim is not the ideal one when used with a 205/50/R15 tyre. Infact it should be like 6.5J(Michelin recommended n I trust em ).

And also a genral rim width cannot be quoted by just the tyre section width. It has to do with the tyre profile also.

Don't have the web link for where I read it. But as a general example have a look

205/65R15 5.5 6 7.5 (min rim width, recommended, max)

------------------------
205/55R15 5.5 6.5 7.5
205/50R15 5.5 6.5 7.5

------------------------
205/45R16 6.5 7 7.5 (the rim dia is different, but I showed this to show the effect of further reduction in tyre profile)

And it can be clearly observed that the rim width recommended changes for just a differing profile.

Hope this clears certain doubts/misconceptions
Old 24th April 2007, 01:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
A 5.5J Rim is not the ideal one when used with a 205/50/R15 tyre. Infact it should be like 6.5J(Michelin recommended n I trust em ).
Can you please provide the link, I'd love to understand more on this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
Don't have the web link for where I read it. But as a general example have a look

205/65R15 5.5 6 7.5 (min rim width, recommended, max)

------------------------
205/55R15 5.5 6.5 7.5
205/50R15 5.5 6.5 7.5

------------------------
205/45R16 6.5 7 7.5 (the rim dia is different, but I showed this to show the effect of further reduction in tyre profile)

Again, please quote the Source. I'd be able to appreciate your inputs much more if I know who is recommending. Is it Michelin or your local Tire Dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
Hope this clears certain doubts/misconceptions
Naah. I know i'm a pain, but doesn't help without a linky/source details.

Last edited by manveet : 24th April 2007 at 01:14.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:32   #40
BHPian

I already told ya that I don't have the link for where I read the concept. But the sizes I quoted can be found at
http://www.michelin.com.sg/car/newpreceda.pdf
Old 24th April 2007, 01:46   #41
BHPian

Silverstone KTZ SPORT Review.

Silverstone KTZ SPORT Review.

I replaced my Santro's tires with the above mentioned tire and frankly if I were to rate them in one word, then I would have to say Pathetic.
Other ppl.. ahem may have other opinions, but i'm being honest about what I felt.

Now moving on systematically. Where I will use the michelin XM1s that I have now for comparision purposes.

Handling
XM1's are better in every regard, except that they make more screeching sounds when the car is turning(like at on ramps) at lets say 80+ kms.

Adv of the noise being that I know when the tires are about to give up.

Had many incidents with silverstones where the front end would suddenly wash out without a warning.

Road noise
This is not even a close contest. The silverstones had a fair amount of road noise. The XM1s close to none.

Comfort level
The XM1s are again the winner on all accounts.

Simple proof about this is the fact that me and my friend(known as Goldilocks to delhi members) thought that the roads had been re-surfaced

Braking
The brake bite seemed greater it the KTZs. As in the first second of application. But braking distance was no shorter than the XM1.

However if the wheels locked up, the car would keep skating forward.

OT: have also seen this problem with GIIIs potenzas in aZa's car

TIRE LIFE (GET READY FOR A SHOCK)
They lasted me a good 7000 kms. After which they were reduced to absolute slicks.

Yea I know I drive very fast, brake late, blah blah.

But still.

Prices
Silverstone ~2300 (w/o bill)
XM1 2500 (bill n warranty)

CONCLUSION
The worst tires i've ever used. And I would not trust the company's other models also.

If Someone has a different view point, they are most welcome. But having used the product I know what i'm talking about

But the end still is a happy story - 3 of the tires broke broke their sidewall cords. Developed huge bulges. So I replaced them with XM1s and found Nirvana(till I move to preceda's)
Fuelled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2007, 01:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
Thanks Fuelled. I just studied this a bit and now realize that am wrong in running 5.5J on 205's.

Your concept is right although Michelin's e.g. is not ideal.

Let me explain.

As a thumb rule, [FONT=verdana, arial, geneva][SIZE=-1]the rim width is in most cases dictated by the tire section width and/or the tread width. The general rule is that the flange-to-flange width of the rim should be a minimum of three-quarters of the tire section width. The maximum flange-to-flange wheel width should be equal to the width of the tire tread.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Therefore Tire width of 205mm = 205/25.4" = 8.07"
8.07" x 0.75 = g.05" ~ 6J

But, Tire profile also plays a role here which I will need to research more, pending my return on Saturday Morning.

Till then, Regards.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:54   #43
BHPian

OK..!! what is 5.5J and 6J!!!!?? sorry for my dumbness im a noob to all of this tyre wiki.

Other than all that... Why would one of the best tyre dealers whose upsized atleast 2000 cars now...very MINIMUM idea..out of those an idea would be atleast 100 Honda's, why would he put 195's on 15"er...wouldn't it be best to trust his experience since hes THE man in the tyre industry?
I mean leaving apart facts proven.
Anyone can be wrong, even the most experienced.

If it is so, i'll definately go have a word with him regarding 205's

P.S.: dont know if this helps..but the tyre clearly reads... 195/60/R15..meaning its made for 15"ers right??

And the tyre has absolutely NO and i mean NO tyre noise..its as silent as a car can get...this model was made specially for this purpose has some 'Advanced Noise Suppression Technology'

Last edited by v.tec : 24th April 2007 at 02:02.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:12   #44
elf
BANNED

v.tec, without getting lost in the PMS that Fuelled & manveet are going through, you've got the wrong size tyre for the wheel.

Yes, a 15" wheel shall fit a 15" tyre, but one has to take the sectional width of the tyre (in your case, 195mm on a 195/60R15 tyre) along with the width of the wheel (again, in your case, a 6.5J wheel which would translate to 6.5 inches thick - 165mm). 6.5J is too thick a wheel section for a 195/60R15 tyre.

Go back to your dealer & either:
1. have the tyres changed to 205/55R15; OR
2. have your wheel changed to a 5.5J thickness.

This, of course, is for your own good. On the other hand, you could presume that we're all donkeys & are talking out of our hats, & that your tyre dealer was right after all.

PS:
Considering the fact that you're located in Delhi, you could PM iraghava & ask him to help you out if he's free.

Last edited by elf : 24th April 2007 at 02:14.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:12   #45
BHPian

DUDE thats what I wanted to point out.

The 75% rule you are talking about(how about a link ) is for high profile tires and the it changes to like 85% for lower profiles.

There are no hard and fast rules about the exact % used for the different profiles but a general one. Though, different companies may use a diffrent % depending on what they think is ideal for their tire.

And as for ur sunday project
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible
Go nuts

@Avin - the 5.5 6.5 we are refering to it the rim width. The reason we are discussing it because some of us felt that your rim width is more than it should be.

And if the tire dealer you are talking about is the same one mentioned in the thread. Then yes I can tell you he has not done his complete homework yet.

From my personal exp. I can tell you that he doesn't know the correct upsizing method.

@elfie- good one boyo

Last edited by Fuelled : 24th April 2007 at 02:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks