Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 08:14   #1
BHPian

Has anyone noticed the increase in tyre prices?

I was looking to replace my old XM2's on my A-Star and had initially searched for prices in August last year. Here were the prices I got for 155/80 R13 size tyres:

1. MRF ZLX: 3100/-
2. Continental CC5: 3750/-
3. Yokohama Earth-1: 3600/-

I did not get the tyres changed due to the rising cases at that time, plus I was not going out much. So now I decided it was time to change the tyres, i asked the same dealer for a quote and this is what he gave me:

1. MRF ZLX: 3600/-
2. Continental CC5: 4250/-
3. Yokohama Earth-1: 4100/-

I was shocked, a Rs. 500 price increase in around 6 months? The dealer said that since supply was less, prices had increased. Has anyone else noticed this. The prices on tyremarket.com are the same, but as other teambhpians have said, they are merely an intermediary and do not keep stock, so they may not have the latest prices.

Earlier I was thinking of going for the CC5's, but with the price increase I think I will go in for the ZLX's.

Last edited by avi550m : 9th March 2021 at 08:16.
avi550m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Has anyone noticed the increase in tyre prices?

Due to recent restrictions imposed by central government post corona, lot of importers are not able to import tyres from China,Taiwan,Thailand etc. Slowly Indian tyre market is getting exclusive for Indian brands or Made in India tyres atleast for UHP and PCR.

The recent restrictions has also effected the import of synthetic rubber hence the rise in price. Lot of odd sizes are no more available in market now. Lot of UHP tires are double the prize now.
foby.sebastian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:00   #3
BHPian

I recently bought Earth1 175/65/14 for 4300 a piece, so your shop seems to be marking things up a bit.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2021 at 09:00. Reason: typo
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:01   #4
BHPian

Why is it surprising to see Tyre price increasing when India is facing rising prices in all aspects of life?

Fuel is 65% of all transportation cost of goods & in past 6 months diesel prices are at record high.

Everything starts getting heavy price increase when fuel prices go up.

On top, supply & demand plays a vital role for prices. Extra tax & outright ban in tyre import is putting heavy pressure on existing domestic tyre supply.

Given the circumstances, prices are relatively low I would say. As otherwise, businesses / companies / dealerships usually pounce on the opportunity to make some extra money if they see a slightest option to increase prices.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:08   #5
MSC
BHPian

One among the primary reasons might be the slowdown caused by restrictions on the import of tires. You might have seen that even cars costing more than ten lakhs are coming factory fitted with JKs & Ceat. The sole reason might be that due to reduced supplies, these companies are making merry and it's very obvious that increase in demand will lead to increased prices as well.
This may continue till other companies find to way to circumnavigate and find a way out or start local production of tires.
Alongwith tire shortage, increase in fuel prices leads to increased expenses on transportation and hence this consequently contributes to increased prices to some extent.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 16:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Thats quite high for a 13 inch tyre, whereas for my Celerio, I got CC5 recently and paid far less than that for a 14 inch tyre. Its easily off by 500 rupees per tyre or even more.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking to replace my old XM2's on my A-Star and had initially searched for prices in August last year. Here were the prices I got for 155/80 R13 size tyres:

I did not get the tyres changed due to the rising cases at that time, plus I was not going out much. So now I decided it was time to change the tyres, i asked the same dealer for a quote and this is what he gave me:

Hello. My friend got the exact same 155/80 R13 tyres (Yoko Earth-1) for Rs.3750 each on 25th Feb 2021. Four tyres replaced for Rs.15,000 for his i10. Price included 4 new valves, wheel balancing and wheel alignment. He got it done from Sai Iyengar Tyres, Indiranagar, Double Road (mentioning this since your profile says your from Bangalore too).
If my memory serves me right, 2 tyres were from Nov-2020 and two tyres from Jan-2021 batch.
Also, the dealer arranged for someone to pickup the 4 old tyres (10 years old) for Rs.400 cashback.
Why don't you try out in the same place?
In my opinion, Yoko Earth-1 are superior to MRF ZLX.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Has anyone noticed the increase in tyre prices?

Major tyre manufacturers are increasing the tyre prices in India by March end.

Car tyre prices are about to increase by up to Rs 2,000 for a pair, while the luxury car tyres will witness a hike of up to Rs 6,000 for a pair, attributing to the surging raw material prices that have shot up by 20-25%, as the tyemakers claim.

Source
Old 25th March 2021, 16:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Huge markup by the dealer. I recently got 175/65 R14 Continental CC5 for Rs. 4100 per tyre.

But the dealer fleeced me on the old tyres, giving me a mere 100 bucks per tyre + I also feel that there was scope for some more negotiation on the cost of each tyre. Might have been able to get it down to atleast Rs. 4000, if not 3900. However, that struck me only after buying the tyres.

I suggest you take quotations from a few other dealers as well.
Old 25th March 2021, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Day before yesterday, i got a pair of Ceat Tires sized 185/65/15 for my mobilio i-dtec which has already clocked close to 1 lakh kilometers. Did lots of market research. Had changed front two tires changed to Bridgestone B250 10000 kilometers back. They had charged me 5250 per tire. Now was the turn for balance two tires as well. The ceat ones did cost me 4100 per tire. Checked the price on amazon. It was for 3900 per tire. The dealer included wheel alignment, balancing, Nitrogen for all four tires and new nozzle. The deal seemed fair. Dealer also did a warranty registration for these tires which as per company should last 1 lakh kilometers. Got instant message on my mobile.

Previously, checked for Apollo & MRF. The dealers were charging atleast 500 more than what it was showing over Amazon. They tried fleecing me with different selling techniques. price increase was one of them. But ultimately you should be prepared for not giving in to their fundas.
Old 25th March 2021, 17:58   #11
BHPian

Here were the prices I got for 155/80 R13 size tyres:

.[/quote]

This is nothing when you look at what dealers are quoting for the available stock of Michelin Primacy 4ST!
They are using the proverb to the fullest ‘Make hay while the sun shines’
There are a few helpless customers out there who have to pay whatever the dealer is quoting us.
And for someone who has used the PST’s theres no chance of moving to other sets like the MRF Perfinza or something else.
BikeDevil44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 18:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I did not get the tyres changed due to the rising cases at that time, plus I was not going out much. So now I decided it was time to change the tyres
In a similar dilemma as you are. Thought of changing my car's tyres earlier, delayed the decision and now I'm getting higher quotes from the same dealer. The strange thing is that for Michelin XM2's there is not even a discount. I got a quote for 5500/- per tyre for XM2's, while for Earth1's and CC5's it was around 4100/- per tyre. Tyre shop dealer says Michelin tyres are not coming in abundance as earlier so whatever they can get they are selling.

I'm no tyre expert here, but citing from the discussion it's clear that the customer will be at loss here. Indian companies like Ceat, JK, MRF, etc. were offering good products now after Michelin, Yokohama and Continental grew in popularity. Now with the import restrictions, the choices will again be limited.
Old 26th March 2021, 09:10   #13
BHPian

I recently changed 145/80 R12 for Alto 800 in Chennai. For Ceat they quoted Rs 2500, Falken Rs 2650 and Bridgestone Rs 2750.

It was told by the shop owner itself, there has been some price increase post lockdown.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks