Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres

Hello Everyone.

Just got admission to the forum.

An update - someone at Hyundai must have seen this article.

I received a call from a company official, who enqired about the details of my experience.

He has followed up with an email, and advised that the dealership where I was getting my car serviced is looking into the issue and will be in touch.

Glad to see Hyundai responding so quickly.
argho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:37   #17
BHPian

This is quite a concerning event. I have never seen anything like this on a relatively new tyre (3yrs and 15K kms is nothing in the life of a tyre). I think the owner was lucky not to experience a sudden deflation of the tyre at highway speeds. I wonder if the Nexen tyre manufacturers have taken into account our road (or lack thereof) conditions.

I remember reading a few years back (6 or 7 years ago, I think) that the Indian government had banned all tyres not having the ISI mark from sale in India. I remember many Chinese brands being discontinued after that.

Govt. agency ISI certification “problems” aside, I still do think that basic quality of tyres available in India has improved.

This makes the problems with the OEM Nexen tyres all the more intriguing. I wonder if Hyundai had to go through ISI certification, or could they skip it for the tyres as they are OEM fitment.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:04   #18
BHPian

Even I was unhappy with the oem nexons in my 2018 tucson. All the 4 tyres developed chipping which never happened with any of my cars. Changed them to bridgestone turanza T001. I made sure that I got recently manufactured ones and I am happy with the turanzas.
aboveallkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:45   #19

Hi Aditya and Argho

Indeed a frightening experience and glad that no untoward incident was caused due to this. Having said that, my 2 cents in this case are a bit different:

1. The tyres were 4 years old, and coming from automotive background and experience; In my assessment the age of the tyres impacts it's drivability and safety quite a bit. So pretty much can say that if the vehicle was regularly inspected at ASC or by the tyre shop whilst regular wheel alignment and balancing, this should have been highlighted much beforehand.
2. Completely agree with you on inferior make tyres from Korea and China nowadays flooding the market given their low price points but had assumed that this was only prevalent for replacement market and not in OE fitments. Sad to note that 2nd Market Share holder in Indian market is so callous about their approach towards the Indian consumer. It reflects the sad story of cutting corners to maximise profits.

Sincerly hope if not a blanket change in the approach to cut costs, OEMs at least start giving an option to the customer to upgrade tyres at differential pricing.
Sangam Sardesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:00   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I had no experience with Nexen, but had naively assumed that since they are imported, they must be good! Well, I will never make that assumption again.
Kindly find out from Argho Sen the month&year of manufacture from the side of the OEM tyres he got with the car

Last edited by venkyhere : 2nd May 2021 at 13:02.
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:01   #21

Hi guys, I too own a 2018 Tucson 4WD and I’m facing similar issue like rubber peeling off the tyre, recently I’ve noticed the air pressure keeps dropping and now it is pulling to the right even after getting the alignment done a week before. I hope HMIL is listening to us.
prithviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvgJoe View Post

I remember reading a few years back (6 or 7 years ago, I think) that the Indian government had banned all tyres not having the ISI mark from sale in India. I remember many Chinese brands being discontinued after that. ..
I checked the pics. There is an ISI Certification logo on the tyres.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd May 2021 at 17:53. Reason: Typos. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
argho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:50   #23

Hello fellow Nexen users, I have a 2015 Santa Fe with Nexen tires.

Have done approx 40k on them with no major signs of wear and tear. Get alignment and balancing done every 10k km. Had bought the suv pre owned in 2019 at 32k km with the same tires.
Maybe the problematic tires were from a few lemon batches.

MOD NOTE - Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd May 2021 at 17:55. Reason: Mod note attached.
cdrgill is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:59   #24
BHPian

Hi Argho,

I am glad that you decided to act upon this situation quickly by changing the whole set. It is a grave matter of concern, since Tucson is usually used as a highway vehicle by many Indian families. It is high time manufacturers take tire aspects as seriously as they take their safety features(airbags, brake assist, etc.). But since this was a locally assembled vehicle, neither the dealer nor the tire company is at fault here. This matter should be escalated by their R&D department to HMIL. Locally assembled vehicles should be allowed to have certain modifications to make them India friendly(pocket friendly too), although I don't know if it is legally allowed for that category of vehicles. I have seen that nexen is pretty popular within the States and Australia for Korean/Japanese UV's, but here they are not seen on locally manufactured vehicles.
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:04   #25
BHPian

I do realise that those tyres might not be of the greatest quality but I believe that the low running of your car is responsible for tyre failure. When the car is parked for most of its life and only drivem occasionally, tyre rubber starts deteriorating. Your car being 4 years old has only been driven for 11k kms.

Similar thing happened with one of my cars which was on OE tyres. It ran only 20k kms in 5 years, when we took it on trip (500kms) the tyre's steel belt failed and it developed a bulge on the top rather than on the side.

Cars are meant to be driven, they don't like being parked for long intervals.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 2nd May 2021 at 18:06.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 01:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I do realise that those tyres might not be of the greatest quality but I believe that the low running of your car is responsible for tyre failure. When the car is parked for most of its life and only drivem occasionally, tyre rubber starts deteriorating. Your car being 4 years old has only been driven for 11k kms.

I dont think so. It could be a a manufacturing fault. Can also be improper driving behaviour.
Why Does Tire Tread Separation Occur?
Tire treads can separate from the casing for a number of reasons. These include improper flat repair, manufacturing errors, improper driving behavior like hitting potholes, or overuse. Tires are only made to last for a certain mileage, and if you’ve been driving on tires past their manufacturer’s recommended mileage, tread separation can be a natural consequence. Be sure to pay attention to tire life when you’re purchasing tires, and make sure you replace them before going over that mileage.

https://www.staleystire.com/About/Ne...d%20Separation
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post

Similar thing happened with one of my cars which was on OE tyres. It ran only 20k kms in 5 years, when we took it on trip (500kms) the tyre's steel belt failed and it developed a bulge on the top rather than on the side.

Hi.

I do agree that tyres do have a life in years, even if mileage is low.

But to clarify :

- My vehicle is 3 and a half years old. I would expect tyres to last 4 - 5 years

- While mileage is low, it is driven every day. I use it to commute to office on a daily basis. Milegae is low because my daily commute is quite short.

Yes the car was sitting idle duirng the first lockdown. But even then, I drove the car within my complex every week.

Given that others on this forum have also had this experience with Tucson / Nexen tyres combo, I wonder whether maybe the tyres are unsuited for Indian conditions.
argho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:19   #28
BHPian

Sad to hear the ordeals faced by many Hyundai owners

NEXEN tyres are so popular in the middle east and are considered as the cheap and best option.

Not sure about the road noise and ride comfort of NEXEN tyres, but they do have a healthy life as people here run on a full set close to 90,000KM without much of an issue. 90k here should match at least 45,000KM on the Indian roads.

Last edited by kamilharis : 3rd May 2021 at 13:20.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:18   #29

On an unrelated note (kind of), why the concern that i see on team-bhp forums on not being able to find the exact same size tyre as the one the vehicle came with when new? The sticker on my truck door stipulates tyre size 275 x 55 R20 while I drove on 285 x 50 R20 Goodyear for 5 years before changing to 275 x 50 R20 Hankook. Haven't seen any adverse effects of driving on sizes not recommended by manufacturer other than the speedo indicates a slightly higher speed than actual.

As long as the tyres don't rub suspension on turning, going 1 size here and there is fine. I usually look for which ever size and brand of tyre is available on promotion with any tyre dealer to make a decision.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argho View Post
Hello Everyone.

Just got admission to the forum.

An update - someone at Hyundai must have seen this article.

I received a call from a company official, who enqired about the details of my experience.

He has followed up with an email, and advised that the dealership where I was getting my car serviced is looking into the issue and will be in touch.

Glad to see Hyundai responding so quickly.
Hello Argho,

Sorry to hear your experience and glad that you and your family are safe.

3yrs and 11000 kms on a car is negligible usage. Is the car parked in direct sunlight when it's not used?

Tyres, in cars which are parked for long duration without movement tend to bulge and wear out, irrespective of the usage.

I have experienced this on my Hyundai Getz which had a set of jk tyres which didn't even last for 15k kms.

Upon consulting the tyre guy, they said that the bulge is because of the vehicle being stationary for a long period under the sun. They recommend moving the car every 3-4 days to avoid this.

I could be wrong here, but just wanted to check if this could be a reason
samuelv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed