BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelv View Post
Hello Argho,
=======
I could be wrong here, but just wanted to check if this could be a reason
Hi.

My car is always parked in a basement garage - both at home an din office.

And as I have mentioned, it is driven everyday.
Mileage is low becasue I travel short distances.
Old 3rd May 2021, 19:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argho View Post
...My car is always parked in a basement garage - both at home an din office...it is driven everyday.
Mileage is low becasue I travel short distances.
Hi Argho and welcome to Team BHP.
Request go through posts of other members in this thread. This problem may not be so uncommon in the Tuscon after all.
I very much doubt that all four tyres can fail in this manner due to calendar age, especially given that you mentioned that the vehicle is only three years old.

Also refer my earlier post :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
There are other posts by Tucson owners regarding premature failure of tyres...
Old 4th May 2021, 03:29   #33
BHPian

Have seen wires jutting out from worn or ruptured tyres but this one on an intact tread shoulder and sidewall, is difficult to comprehend. You should make a video too of all the tyres and record trying to pull out the wires with a plier or something.

When was the last time someone even touched the tyres, like while washing or cleaning, for that damage to go unnoticed?
Old 4th May 2021, 18:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Have seen wires jutting out from worn or ruptured tyres but this one on an intact tread shoulder and sidewall, is difficult to comprehend. You should make a video too of all the tyres and record trying to pull out the wires with a plier or something.

When was the last time someone even touched the tyres, like while washing or cleaning, for that damage to go unnoticed?
The car was thoroughly washed and inspected before the trip. I had personally inflated all 4 tyres (I have a portable pump).

I think it must have happened some time during the trip.
Old 4th May 2021, 19:26   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

But to clarify :

- My vehicle is 3 and a half years old. I would expect tyres to last 4 - 5 years
You can find out exactly - just check the week#year# stamp on your tyres, you will exactly know when they were manufactured. I had asked this question earlier as well.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 19:41. Reason: Please capitalize your first sentence and where ever it is required. Thanks.
Old 4th May 2021, 19:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
you can find out exactly - just check the week#year# stamp on your tyres, you will exactly know when they were manufactured. I had asked this question earlier as well.
Date stamp on tyre was 1717 => 17th week of 2017. So May 2017.

So failure happened almost exactly 4 years from manufacturiing date.

To clarify, the defective tyres are no longer with me.
As per usual practice, the dealer took the old tyres , when I fitted new tyres.

Even if I wanted to retain them, I have no place to store. These are big and heavy tyres.
Old 9th May 2021, 01:04   #37

Tyres have a shelf life of 24 months out here where I live, after which they must be scrapped if unsold, which is why dealers give great deals when tyres are 6 to 9 months old. In many countries, road transport authorities warn of replacement at 4 years and ask for tyres to be replaced at 5 years from manufacture date else they don't pass the annual inspection That said, tyre life depends on, how you load it, the quality of road surface that you drive on, driving habits, vehicle suspension condition, alignment, etc. So 4 years would seem like end of life anyway although that doesn't justify thr tyre falling apart like this. Nexen is not considered to be a Class 1 tyre company, out here it ranks as Class 3 alongside cheap Chinese brands, probably the Korean OEM chose those over Class 1 or Class 2 tyre brand to reduce cost of the new vehicle. I'd advise to do regular inspection after the 3rd year and be ready to replace upon 1st sign of deterioration. Not everyone can afford Michelin or Pirelli but Bridgestone, Goodyear, Dunlop, continental, kumho, hankook as international brands are decent tyres which easily last 5 years and more if well taken care of (alignment checks, rotation every 5000 or so kms, suspension checks, etc). I cannot say about indian brands but investing in any brand of decent tyres in a timely manner will keep you and your family safe.
Indiguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:17   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Argho Sen for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts
=======
I had no experience with Nexen, but had naively assumed that since they are imported, they must be good! Well, I will never make that assumption again.
Hello Aditya,

Thank you for sharing this post.
I would want to add on to this thread by sharing my experience as well; I have a 2018 July Hyundai Tucson Diesel AT and have been sharing the same concerns of the stock NEXEN tyres. With barely 25K on my ODO, the tyres have given up and started chipping. I took the step of directly complaining to the NEXEN head office in India and got to know that I will have to go through the Hyundai Service Centre compliant process. I have done the same and currently waiting for the Hyundai Service Centre to act on my case.

Tucson is a beautiful piece of machinery and probably the tyres are the only NOT so good thing to have happened with this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-tire1.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-tire2.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-tire3.jpg  

Old 30th November 2021, 11:25   #39

Hi, everyone ,
I had the same experience with my 2018 Tucson tyres, There is a procedure to follow which all the dealers are aware of which Nexen tyres have advised them to do and new tyres will be sent with an amount which you have to pay.
Old 5th December 2021, 07:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithviraj View Post
Hi, everyone ,
I had the same experience with my 2018 Tucson tyres, There is a procedure to follow which all the dealers are aware of which Nexen tyres have advised them to do and new tyres will be sent with an amount which you have to pay.
Hi.

Thats good to know.

Can you share the procedure with us all please, so that we know what to do.
Old 12th December 2021, 21:40   #41
BHPian

I recently bought a Phantom Black Hyundai Tucson 4WD CRDi, the SUV is very good to say the least and the best offering from HMIL IMHO as of now, also it's the most expensive offering in their range and I'm quite appalled by the fact that Hyundai offered to provide such cheap and poor quality tyres, they just aren't suitable for a car of this demeanour. By God's grace till now I haven't faced any issues apart from a couple of punctures but after reading these horrifying reviews I'm seriously considering to change the tyres ASAP but there is a catch.

The tyre size of the Tucson is 225/55 R18 which is very rare and as of now in India Bridgestone is the only manufacturer which makes these tyres and that too the Turanza T001 which the OP has changed to but the general reviews about these tyres suggest that these are pretty mediocre tyres and tend to have higher decibel levels and poor wet grip. Many Innova owners have upgraded their brand new tyres and swapped them with Michelins which I'm also considering but have a few questions in my mind, it would be helpful if I receive some feedback

1) Is the Turanza T001 really not that good? My i20 Asta and WagonR runs on Bridgestone B290s and Turanza T005a and I find them to be adequate TBH?

2) Many Tucson owners have upsized their tyres so did Hyundai ASS make some noise about it? Will my warranty remain intact if I do upsize? Many Honda owners in this forum have complained of their warranty being denied because they upsized the tyres.

3) According to our tyre expert, DBHPian @NikhilB2008 he suggests us to go for 245/50 R18s as upgrade as it will lead to almost negligible speedo error (just a 0.48% change), also this size is available in RFTs which will have strengthened sidewalls too thus avoiding sidewall cut. I personally would have preferred going with Michelin Primacy 4ST ZP but as Michelin have reduced their operations in India highly and there are no authorised Michelin dealers in my town and I'm left with Bridgestone and Yokohama. The former offers what they call as their flagship Potenza S001 and latter offers Advan Sport IIRC. So my question is which would be a better bet in terms of handling,wet grip and noise levels?

Thank you!
Tony2298 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 15:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I have just got the Bridgestone Turanzas fitted. Havent done enough driving to be able to evaluate.
Argho and other Tucson owners using Turanzas, would be great if you can share your experience with them so far.

Anyone know of any other good options in 225 55R18 size? Looks like the options are still very limited!
Old 31st December 2021, 16:39   #43
BHPian

Have not had any problems with the Bridgestone Turanzas , so far.

Tyre change has significantly improved the driving characterisitcs of my Tucson.
argho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 17:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sanjib View Post
Hello Aditya,

Thank you for sharing this post.
I would want to add on to this thread by sharing my experience as well; I have a 2018 July Hyundai Tucson Diesel AT and have been sharing the same concerns of the stock NEXEN tyres. With barely 25K on my ODO, the tyres have given up and started chipping. I took the step of directly complaining to the NEXEN head office in India and got to know that I will have to go through the Hyundai Service Centre compliant process. I have done the same and currently waiting for the Hyundai Service Centre to act on my case.

Tucson is a beautiful piece of machinery and probably the tyres are the only NOT so good thing to have happened with this car.
Not sure what's your residual tread depth at 25k kms and whether the tyre wear is uneven between edges.

Haveyou checked the wheel alignment for excessive, probably toes?

If so, what are the readings?

Alternatively you may run the hand palm/fingers across tread width for presence of smooth and sharp edges at leading and trailing ends of hand palm travel.
Old 29th May 2022, 23:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Varsin.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Re-inforces the observation on Nexen tyres.

I have just got the Bridgestone Turanzas fitted. Havent done enough driving to be able to evaluate.
Hi Argho. Which spec of the Turanza did you go for? I see a few on the Bridgestone website but not sure which one is the best fit, as there are no exact matches with the nexen 225/55R18.

215/55R16 97W
215/55R17 94V
215/60R16 95V
225/45R17 94W
225/50R16 92W
225/55R16 99W
225/60R16 98W
245/45R18 100W

Source https://www.bridgestone.co.in/en/tyre/turanza-t001

Context - My Tucson is less than 6 months old (Dec 21) and has been driven for less than 5000km. This is the second tyre damage.
The first one was around 10 days after the delivery after a running of around 350 km. It was sideall crack on the rear left tyre, and as far as I know, the tire had not hit anything sideways. After some haggling with Hyundai, they replaced the tire

The second instance happened yesterday, when I was taking a sharp turn and hit the edge of a divider. I was trying to get out of a crowded intersection and just when I thought that I was past it, I hit the edge of the divider. I was probably driving at 20-25 kmph. The front right tyre blew up and the TPMS showed 0 and an error straight away.

Now I don't want to pay for a nexen. I am hoping the Turanza T001 will do the job. I don't see an exact fit though.

Not sure what my options are, but I would not go for nexens again.

I have 6 year 40k km old michelins on my A-star and I feel if I hit the same divider at the same speed at the same angle in my a star, nothing much was going to happen to it. It certainly won't blow up.

Coming back to the replacement, I am not sure if it's a good idea to replace a single tyre of a different size (like Bridgestone) and live with the 3 OEM nexens which would be of a different size. Pretty sure that's not a good idea. I haven't reached out to any tyre dealers yet, hoping to do that in the next couple of days.any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited by gary : 29th May 2022 at 23:36. Reason: Fix typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks