Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 00:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres

How did I miss this thread.

Tuscon Late 2019 here. Vehicle has done only 16000 kms.

The car was driving fine but my driver noticed that the front tyres started to develop cracks. I sent the car to Hyundai and pressed for warranty replacement. They agreed to replace them but I had to bear a part of the cost for the same. Got 2 brand new tyres.

These Nexen tyres are CRAP.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 07:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi Argho. Which spec of the Turanza did you go for? I see a few on the Bridgestone website but not sure which one is the best fit, as there are no exact matches with the nexen 225/55R18.

Hi.

I did get Bridgestone 225/55/R18 T001.

I do not know why its not showing on the site.

There is a shortage of supply in the market.
argho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 08:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argho View Post
Hi.

I did get Bridgestone 225/55/R18 T001.

I do not know why its not showing on the site.

There is a shortage of supply in the market.
Thanks, I am going to check out the local dealers.
Old 3rd June 2022, 18:22   #49

I have a Hyundai Tucson Diesel GL(S) bought in August 2021.My car has done 12000 kilometers till date and it recently had a tire issue. My tyre had a puncture during a recent trip to Haldwani. The spare is worthless to say the least , it cannot go more than 70-100 odd kilometers given its smaller stature and that is what is recommended by Hyundai.

The puncture was really bad and most of the tyre shops I went were not able to repair it. Finally at mechanic fitted a tube (17 inch) inside the punctured tyre and my tyre went from being tubeless to tube tyre.

Post that I have driven the car for 500-600 kilometers without any fuss. But due to this the TPMS is not working any more . I went to Hyundai workshop but they are saying insurance would not cover this. I want to understand what options do I have?

Given the feedback of nexen tyres should I go for a Bridgestone or a Michellin?
I had a word with the Bridgestone dealer and he is quoting me around 13.5 k for 1 piece of Turanza( T001 225/55 R18).

will having one Bridgestone and 3 Nexens cause an impact over performance/handling/safety?
I am considering changing all the four but eventually in time maybe.
Old 4th June 2022, 10:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_trekker View Post

will having one Bridgestone and 3 Nexens cause an impact over performance/handling/safety?
I am considering changing all the four but eventually in time maybe.
I am in the same situation and not sure how to proceed. Nexen nightmare is driving me.
Old 5th June 2022, 08:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_trekker View Post
Given the feedback of nexen tyres should I go for a Bridgestone or a Michellin?
I had a word with the Bridgestone dealer and he is quoting me around 13.5 k for 1 piece of Turanza( T001 225/55 R18)
I own a Jeep Compass and Turanzas come as stock. They're good, personally have done only around 10k Kms, but have heard good things about them from others on the forum. For peace of mind I would probably suggest you to get all 4 Nexens replaced.

If I'm not wrong Turanzas are the only options in India as of now in 225 55R18. Another option is probably Pirelli Scorpion Verde in 235 55R18. But you'll have to up size and these pirellis are going to be expensive - probably around 20k per tyre.

Do keep us posted on which one you finally opted for.
Rookie_Jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:20   #52
BHPian

It looks like Turanzas are the only option in 225 55R18. I talked to a couple of dealers over the weekend. One of them suggested replacing all 4 tires. The other one suggested I replace the front two. Pricing quoted was 12.4k to 12.8k per tire.

I am probably going to replace both front tires. There is no residual value in the old tires. The nexens are absolutely junk grade.
gary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 20:12   #53
BHPian

I got the front two tires replaced earlier today. Haven't had a chance to drive much after the replacement. Cost me 12.4k per tire and 600 for wheel alignment - this was optional but I wasn't really sure if I could skip it.
Now I have an extra nexen that I don't have much use for.
Old 8th August 2022, 02:28   #54
BHPian

My Apr 2021 Tucson GLS 2WD has done 27K kms and the Nexens are in a bad state. I have found 2 more alternatives apart from the Bridgestone Turanza and the Pirelli 235/55/R18.

The first one is Vredestein which is OEM size 225/55/R18 and the Apollo dealer in my place is quoting ₹14,900 a piece.

The second one is a 235/55/R18 from MRF Markus. No information on the website, but I’d got this information by emailing the MRF Perfinza team. Email screenshot attached and no idea about the price yet.

Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-02ac0719968e42a3b56ecba4b47f016c.jpeg

Has anybody tried either the Vredestein or the Markus? Thanks.
ramprakashr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 15:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post
My Apr 2021 Tucson GLS 2WD has done 27K kms and the Nexens are in a bad state. I have found 2 more alternatives apart from the Bridgestone Turanza and the Pirelli 235/55/R18.

The first one is Vredestein which is OEM size 225/55/R18 and the Apollo dealer in my place is quoting ₹14,900 a piece.

The second one is a 235/55/R18 from MRF Markus. No information on the website, but I’d got this information by emailing the MRF Perfinza team. Email screenshot attached and no idea about the price yet.

Attachment 2343084

Has anybody tried either the Vredestein or the Markus? Thanks.
Hello

The pricing for Markus as mentioned in the MRF website is close to 20k per tyre. I don't think it is worth spending 24k extra on a set of 4 just for a 10mm wider tyre.

Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-markus.jpg
https://www.mrftyres.com/products/tyres/848

The Vredesteins are ultra high performance tyres with a "Y" speed rating (corresponds to 300 kmph), they would be tuned for performance and grip, whereas the Bridgestones would be more of an all round tyre with balanced performance.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 10:37   #56
BHPian

Changed my Nexens to Vredestein Ultrac Vorti 225/55/R18 yesterday. Many thanks to BHPian RubberGuru1113 for reinstating the confidence on the Vredesteins.

Apparently the dealer's Apollo facility had a long wait time and he redirected me to their Bridgestone outlet to do the fitting, alignment and balancing. I had to pick the tyres in the passenger seat and drive to the Bridgestone outlet 3kms away.

I will let the photos do the talking.

Just before the drive to the tyre shop, with the old nexens :
Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-whatsapp-image-20220810-5.57.05-pm.jpeg

A look at one of the nexens after 27,500kms on the odo :
Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-whatsapp-image-20220810-5.57.06-pm.jpeg

The Vredesteins :
Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-whatsapp-image-20220810-5.57.31-pm.jpeg

Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-whatsapp-image-20220810-5.57.32-pm.jpeg

At the dealer's Bridgestone outlet
Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres-whatsapp-image-20220810-5.57.33-pm.jpeg

The nexens were so very bad - inspite of the alignment, balancing and rotation every 7500kms. Two of the four tyres had 3 punctures each.

Drove a good 100kms with the Vredesteins. I understand the comparison might be odd given I'm comparing an old tyre to a brand new one, but the ride quality has improved multifold. The road noise has completely gone and there is good traction. Hope the vredesteins serve me well!
ramprakashr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 11:05   #57

Tucson Diesel -HTRAC bought in Jan 2021. My car has done 18K kilometers till date. It is parked in basement away from sunlight.

Usage: - Short runs: - Twice in a week.
Long highway trips: - Once a month.
Tyres of old car with similar usage and same parking spot lasted 70K kilometers.

Following is my experience with Nexen 225 55R18 tires.
---------------------------------------------------------------
0-10K
1)Rear Left Tyre: - Replaced due to vibrations at low speed,60-80 km/h

10K -18K
1)Front Left Tyre: - Sidewall failure while driving on a toll road. Replaced.
2) All four tyres are having chipped marks.
3) Front Right Tyre: - Replaced due to vibrations at high speed,100-115 km/h. Excessive chipping observed.
4) Rest three are waiting for warranty claims.

Please help me understand below.
---------------------------------------
- How did Hyundai manage this safety issue of yours? Are you satisfied with its approach?
- How does the warranty claim process work. Are Nexen tyres again provided as replacement?
- Any case of warranty replacement tyres failure?
- Risk and financial sense to have Nexen again as replacement under warranty on pro-rata basis.
- How did you escape this vicious cycle and what was the hit.
- What is the realistic life of these tyres?
- It is the Nexen brand or profile of tyres at fault? Or am missing something else.
- Has anyone upsized /downsized the tyres: - Any feedback on road noise, FE, handling, and cost.
- Reliable replacement options in market its effect on road noise, FE, handling, and cost.
------------------------------------
Thank You.
Old 13th May 2023, 16:08   #58
BHPian

I have a 2021 Tucson, which has run 22k. The front Nexen's started showing a lot of chipping. I was worried because of my frequent highway runs and decided to press for warranty replacement.

Hyundai agreed to replace under warranty, but with pro rata recovery from me. Surprisingly, Hyundai gave me Bridgestone Turanzas as a warranty replacement since Nexens weren't in stock.

While the rear Nexens optically looked fine, I was not sure how much longer they would last before chipping and failure set in. I was also unsure of running different brands in front and rear. Decided to change the rears to Bridgestone Turanza as well. Cost me 14.8k per tyre - larger tyres have gotten very expensive these days. The Nexens were bought back at scrap value. Apparently the tyres are really odd-sized and the tyre dealer didn't really see much opportunity to resell them.

Too early to comment on improvements in grip and road noise. Will update on this thread once I have run them in a bit.

Last edited by qaqa : 13th May 2023 at 16:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks