Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2021, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre & wheel damage dilemma | Should I go for soft or hard compound? Steel rims or alloys?

I would simply go back to stock tyres and steel rims. You have spent a lot already on experimenting. Try to stick to stock and see the difference for a few months. It should mostly solve the problem.
Old 21st May 2021, 12:55   #17
BHPian

Re: Tyre & wheel damage dilemma | Should I go for soft or hard compound? Steel rims or alloys?

Mate, as people have mentioned above, you need to look into your driving style here. India is a terrible place for a petrolhead I know, but the way you've gone through two sets of alloys and so many tires, you either have terrible (and I mean just the worst) luck with them or you're simply being more careless with your driving than you think you are.

Make a habit of avoiding potholes. I have friends who don't even try to (like "Yeah, it was there, in my lane, what do I do about it?"). How about swerving around it? Or letting it pass from between your track width? I'm not telling you to swerve wildly from lane to lane with reckless abandon but where possible, do so safely. It'll even give a fair idea about the road condition to the car tailing you, win-win. If it's a big, deep crater and you have to make a big manoeuvre to get around it, hit that hazard warning switch and Make. That. Manoeuvre.

Don't be part of the "let the suspension do its job" crowd. Scan further. Sharply observe the cars ahead. Be alert. Slow down. Crawl through bad patches. You do all this and run the biggest wheels and lowest profile tires - you'll still be just fine.

Cheers!
Singh101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 14:31   #18
BHPian

This is a classic case of the term «A bad workman blames his tools». You need to go out and get used steels and the cheapest Chinese tyres for a few dollars.

I always tell people to look far ahead to avoid nasty surprises, be it potholes or a child about to run across the street.

Keep at least 3 seconds behind the car in front. Look at the surroundings and not at the brake lights. Take into account your reaction time and stopping distance. By the time you observe danger, the car has moved 22 meters at 80 km/hour. Another 22 meters before you take action. By then your car has moved 45 meters.

You want your alloys to look good and show you are a good driver too. A well kept car with damaged wheels is like wearing your finest outfit and dirty sandals.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 21st May 2021 at 14:32.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 15:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

In addition to all that’s said above, buy tyres that have extra long mileage. These would be hard compound and stiff sidewalls. Handling will take a toss but it doesn’t matter.

The good news is you will need an axe to cut these tyres, you can’t do it with a car.
Old 21st May 2021, 15:49   #20
BHPian

Before you buy "another" set of wheels and tyres, please borrow a stock set from a figo/ aspire and see if you are still facing problems - it could be suspension/steering related. I say this because one of your earlier posts had picture of your figo after an accident. Many people I knew in my college time ran Plati/Neo/HRS/ Karol Bagh wheels (with hub rings) but never faced any wobbling problems.
Old 21st May 2021, 17:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Before you buy "another" set of wheels and tyres, please borrow a stock set from a figo/ aspire and see if you are still facing problems - it could be suspension/steering related. I say this because one of your earlier posts had picture of your figo after an accident. Many people I knew in my college time ran Plati/Neo/HRS/ Karol Bagh wheels (with hub rings) but never faced any wobbling problems.
That accident happened 3 years ago and the car ran fine suspension-wise since there was no suspension damage involved. I can try finding finding another set of wheels from the same car but I don't know anybody with a Figo in my circle.
Old 21st May 2021, 17:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone please enlighten me, isn't there a minimum tyre width for every spec of alloy?

I mean I badly wanted to go with 205 sections on my previous ciaz but refrained from doing it because stock R15 alloys were 5.5j which won't allow any size over 195mm. It won't allow meaning, 195 mm is the safest max upsize.

Coming to this thread, I am wondering how you ran 195 on 7.5j rims.

Check this table for reference

Tyre & wheel damage dilemma | Should I go for soft or hard compound? Steel rims or alloys?-screenshot_20210521170554_samsung-internet.jpg

Is the tyre damage due to this mismatch? 205 section seems to be the minimum size you can have on 7.5j rims. Or is there more to this?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st May 2021 at 17:11.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 17:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Someone please enlighten me, isn't there a minimum tyre width for every spec of alloy?

I mean I badly wanted to go with 205 sections on my previous ciaz but refrained from doing it because stock R15 alloys were 5.5j which won't allow any size over 195mm. It won't allow meaning, 195 mm is the safest max upsize.

Coming to this thread, I am wondering how you ran 195 on 7.5j rims.

Check this table for reference

Attachment 2158508

Is the tyre damage due to this mismatch? 205 section seems to be the minimum size you can have on 7.5j rims. Or is there more to this?
That was also one of my concerns with the first set of alloys. I had bought a pair of Momo Revenge Anthracite for my friend who had a figo back in 2018 and those rims were 6.5J. Now sometime later, when i got my own car, I bought the same rims but in black color, and those turned out to be 7.5J. The dealer refused to be of any help and I was left with no option but to drive with them. I believe the first two sidewall cuts were caused just by the wheels used to protrude out of the fender lining.
bking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 17:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
I drive a 2018 Ford Figo TDCI Titanium and I changed its rims on the day of delivery itself. For close to a year and a half, I was running on MOMO Revenge Concave with Conti MC5 195/55. Whilst on this set, I had to change 2 tyres due to sidewall cuts and the rim width of 7.5J ensured somewhat bad ride quality but superb handling and high-speed stability. I didn't have a great experience with the rims as 2 of them got bent as well at medium speed impacts on pot holes.
I'm not sure if one can directly correlate this to tyre or rim damage.

It is recommended to use tyre width of at least 205mm with 7.5J rims, in many online resources I had referred while uspizing tyres (including the brilliant team-bhp thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ffset-etc.html (Understanding Alloy Wheels (width, PCD, offset etc.)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
According to the width of the tires used, the width of the alloy wheels should be chosen and it should ideally stay within the recommended width.

Below is a chart that depicts the same:

Tyre & wheel damage dilemma | Should I go for soft or hard compound? Steel rims or alloys?-width-recommendations.jpg
Old 21st May 2021, 17:54   #25
BHPian

I have decided to go with the steel wheels + hard compound tyres combo since I don't drive spiritedly and there shouldn't be a major dip in braking performance with the same. Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.
Old 21st May 2021, 19:00   #26

I was in a similar situation with my ecosport S ecoboost with factory Bridgestone ecopia tyres. I lost 3 tyres over a span of 25000 kms in NCR, mainly commuting to noida and gurgaon. 2 tyres were replaced free of cost by ford but when the third tyre went out I had some sleepless nights thinking over replacement. I paid 50% of tyre cost at the service centre which was some kind of goodwill after escalating it to ford since initially I was denied any replacement this time. The day I got the tyre replaced, I took the car straight to my tyre guy upgraded the tyres from 205/55/r17 to 215/55/r17 Yokohama advan db1. After about 12000 kms now I can surely say the tyres were at fault, the driving style hasn't changed not th route and I haven't faced any issue yet. I would suggest you going in for freestyle alloys and get tyres with a higher strength sidewall, research into it. As enthusiasts, I understand the allure of having alloys and especially great grip and handling ford provides, getting hard compound tyres might make sense on paper but the downgrade in handling whenever you drive might make you regret the decision.
Alloys from freestyle + 195/60/R15 strong sidewall tyres. Get Yoko A/S drives. Had the same size on my Etios Liva, huge difference in grip levels.

Happy motoring!
Sammybouy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 19:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Wise decision. I hope the steel wheels are 15 inch. I suggest the Goodyear Assurance tyres or Yokohama Earth 1. If this combo works for you then you can think of getting a set of 15 inch Figo wheels and get them installed with the same tyres after a few thousand kms of experience over all sort of terrain.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 21st May 2021 at 19:08.
Old 21st May 2021, 20:41   #28
BANNED

I changed the stock Apollo tires in my Figo 1.5D after 48k kms. I upsized to Michelin 185/65 R14. I have put 65k kms in them and am expecting them to last for anotger 20k kms. I have decided to upgrade to 205/60r14 and have upgraded my spare to that size(yokohoma) already after one Michelin got vandalized with some sharp object.

I feel that 205/60 R14 will be a nice option for our roads.
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:58   #29
BHPian

Nothing that veterans do not know here, but I would suggest you getting an external or internal TPMS to ensure peace of mind, if you have not already. That way you don't have to check regularly, don't have to use fuel stations to refill air, which could result in minor leak from the mouth at times. With TPMS, you just have to fill the tyre that's low and you can always be monitoring the tyres for sudden loss of pressure if any.... the aim obviously is to maintain the manufacturer recommended tyre pressure almost always to ensure even tire wear...
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:06   #30
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Thanks for enlightening us here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
That was also one of my concerns with the first set of alloys. I had bought a pair of Momo Revenge Anthracite for my friend who had a figo back in 2018 and those rims were 6.5J. Now sometime later, when i got my own car, I bought the same rims but in black color, and those turned out to be 7.5J. The dealer refused to be of any help and I was left with no option but to drive with them. I believe the first two sidewall cuts were caused just by the wheels used to protrude out of the fender lining.
Were you running a setup which resemble the tyre on the left in this picture?
Tyre & wheel damage dilemma | Should I go for soft or hard compound? Steel rims or alloys?-mainqimgc74c8c9ec6cde06caffba17f87ae2e34.jpg
Source
The sidewall and rim damage, makes sense now.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks