Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2021, 19:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government Proposes New Mandatory Norms For Tyres

More than the tyres its also the quality of road that matters. I don't know when financial hub like Bombay will get good quality of road. Monsoon is just around the corner and once again as monsoon sets in, we will start complaining about the roads and social media will be flooded with pothole pics.

Coming to quality of tyres, there is something I would like to share. This is during my college days when Mumbai-Pune Expressway didn't exist. As soon as monsoon got over me and my friends had annual trip to Mahableshwar. Route was Bombay-Panvel-Kolad-Mahad-Poladpur-Mahableshwer with a halt at Visava. I'm sure many of you will remember.

I used to drive Fiat with cross-ply tyres, and friends had Maruti with radial tyres. Now post monsoon the ghat after Poladpur used to get very very bad. I still remember that on couple of instances radial tyres got a puncture but cross-ply on my Fiat never had any issue.

My point is if Govt. wants mandatory norms for tyres, there should be such norms for road construction too. Any new road made or repaired should have life for 15/20 years, Which I guess is never gonna happen.

Look at the quality & planning of Autobahns in Germany. They were constructed in 1930's, with a vision that they will last for at least a hundred years.
RM Motorsports is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 19:33   #17
BHPian

re: Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emission

I somehow fear, a new proposal for mandatory “tyre type high security color sticker” is in the pipeline following this.They already have a fuel sticker, details of which can be fetched from our registration numbers imprinted on the HSRP which magically increases vehicle security
Old 21st May 2021, 21:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

re: Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emission

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
But wherever these Babus are applying their own minds, the resulting notifications are a total disaster.
You cannot expect a Babu earning 1200 times the per capita income of the average Indian apart from having every other facility for free including transportation and diet, all above board to make a law for the common masses.

The replacement set of 4 tyres is usually 10-15% of the cost of the car. And becomes higher as the car gets older. It is often the most expensive replacement part in the car. So it is really expensive to replace and hence commercial vehicles retread tyres even in 2021.

I really welcome the move restricting all tyre imports in the past year or so and giving traction to our home brands like MRF, JK and Ceat. The restriction should become official with a complete ban on all foreign branded tyres. And while we are at it, we should revive HM and PAL and ban all other car companies too.

But seriously, The biggest problem with tyres is the age and wear. We have vehicles plying with 10 year old tyres running 75K kms. That would be more dangerous. There is a thriving second hand tyre market with no quality control. So unless that is regulated, no point in taking the easy solution and regulating brand new tyres.

This will be similar to how banning sun film has reduced crime, but increased fuel consumption, and speed beepers have reduced road traffic accidents but ruined road trips. Compulsory rear sensors have reduced fender benders but increased costs. BS6 has reduced pollution but you have another tank to fill. All these rules seem to be made by an ostrich burying it's head in the sand.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 00:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The replacement set of 4 tyres is usually 10-15% of the cost of the car. And becomes higher as the car gets older. It is often the most expensive replacement part in the car. So it is really expensive to replace
How did you arrive at the 10-15% figure?

Last year, I paid Rs. 8500 per tyre for 205/50/R16 Michelin PS4. So, the cost of replacing all 4 tyres was less than 5% of the car (Polo) value. I had budget options, to bring down the cost even further. I don't understand how the percentage can go up significantly?

For commercial vehicles, the cost of tyres can be a significant percentage of running cost due to their high mileage. But for individuals, not replacing old tyres citing cost is just criminal and being stupid.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 11:56   #20
BHPian

Re: Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emissio

Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emission-images-9.jpeg

This is what our dear Government's policy making looks like to me, whether it be the speed warnings or making any and all modifications illegal among many, many others.
Singh101 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I paid Rs. 8500 per tyre for 205/50/R16 Michelin PS4. So, the cost of replacing all 4 tyres was less than 5% of the car (Polo) value.
Assuming that your car is a 4 year old Polo with 40K kms run, it's market value would be around 4.5-5 Lakhs. So 4 tyres costing 34k would be about 8% of the value.

The next time around, you would be spending 34K assuming no inflation for a 2.5L worth car.

In the course of your 4 years of use, I'm sure many parts would have been replaced, I'm also sure that none of them would have worked out to 34K. (Except probably insurance premiums. )
Old 22nd May 2021, 15:09   #22
BHPian

Hope in the name of rolling resistance they don't flood the market with cheap hard rubber compound tyres that will do no good to grip. Not that such tyres are not already out there, but an official rule will make it an excuse to make tyres out of rocks.
Old 23rd May 2021, 07:37   #23

Another govt rule in the sea of rules without any plan for implementation. In vast country with crores of vehicles on road, setting a dealine of 1 year, by 2022, to replace old tyres in existing vehicles is practically impossible.
We have seen the fate of such ambitious rules in the past. Whether it be Fastag, which gives the feel of an court case, "tareek pe tareek" with the extensions and still not implemented properly or the HSRP rule. I remember in 2011-12 in my hometown in Assam waiting in the RTO office for hours in queue to get it done in a year old car. Everyone was so much in panic that we will not be able to drive our cars in a few days. Fast forward to 2015 in one of biggest state of Maharashtra, when I bought my bike and dealer gave me a normal number plate, I went into flash back mode and wondered was that rule still there or scraped by now. Again fast forward to 2020, I bought my car here, and Maharashtra RTO has now again stated implementing HSRP for new cars, but India being India people remove that and put on fancy plates without any checking. Forget about implementation for old cars.
What I was trying to say is, I feel this is just another ambitious rule by MoRTH the fate of which we all may predict. Whether these rules are made by the Babus only for their KRA and year end appraisal, but does that really exists, I wonder.
Apratim_Choudhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:14   #24
BHPian

The same norms can't be just copied as our country is big compared to european counterpart & also have a varied range of climatic condition also the material & construction of type of roads, play a crucial parts as every region uses different kind of material, esp our newer concrete highways play an important role. So, manufacturers have to adhere to Indian norms at the same time every product which gets manufactured or marketed in other countries should be validated seperately as different manufacturing plants also have variable quality levels & suppliers which make a fraction of changes in the finished goods this exception is there in Intergovernmental agreements like in the whole european union not mandated by states but some states mandate this validation.
Same goes for the BS norms for fuels as quality of fuel, road conditions, quality of ICE components, manufacturing, traffic density, efficiency of public highways & roads play an important role, terrain too.
But, one thing I don't understand some manufacturers which are importing good quality tyres are discouraged to do so, how is an average consumer is able to pick good tyres as the only choice we are left are apollo, mrf, jk, goodyear especially for small cars. I only use Apollo out if these lot as had somewhat sublime experience with rest & bad ones with jk. Small car owner no longer have option to get Michelin, conti or better yokohamas for their cars only Indian made stuff which is a downgrade from their usual quality especially those economy or efficiency tyres.
Any day I will take a silent, grippy tyres (both wet & dry conditions) which has good steering feedback.
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:35   #25
BHPian

Re: Government Proposes New Mandatory Norms For Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Just asking to put a law which says" All cars should score atleast 5 stars in NCAP test". Except few signatures, there is nothing more that Govt. has to do here.
OT, but if all cars were 5 star rated, they will automatically be 3 star rated . The NCAP rating is relative. If all cars were the have the same amount of safety, they all become average.
superguy282 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How did you arrive at the 10-15% figure?
I had the exact doubt. The total replacement cost for 4 tyres from Conti for my 55k done Swift was at about 19,000 INR including exchange. That works out to 3% of the OTR cost after 5 years usage.
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:12   #27
BHPian

I think I would definitely welcome this rule, obviously hoping that it is not a copy and paste from overseas. Sure, we might be late as compared to EU states or America, but at least we are getting there.

Ministries and the government need to get serious about car regulations and tyres are definitely a main part of them. Our 'jugaads' extends to all parts of our lives including our cars and sometimes such a rule can help us deter taking from taking the wrong option e.g. used and outdated car tyres.

I hope that this one norm is a stepping stone for more conducive laws that make our roads and driving experience much more better and safer.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:42   #28
BHPian

Slightly OT,
But why doesn't the government understand that the system itself needs to be perfect before cracking down on things like these?!
Enough has been said about the state of infrastructure, already. Enough might have been done, but driving on the highways still feels like everyone is out for a stroll in the park. Maybe next year we will come to know how much the infrastructure has improved, considering unimpeded progress in laying roads due to lockdowns, when the figures of number of accidents and fatalities are published.
And, also, maybe, stop giving people driving licenses without proper testing (been there, seen that). And do something about the two-wheelers, please.
Ban on import of tyres was also a hasty decision, unreasonable at best. Took us all back to the era when the government was pushing for local automobile brands and stifling the international [read: competent] ones.
Regarding norms for tyres, I'd really like to know how EU certified ones would hold up in the Indian climate, which changes with every region. These regulations cannot be applied pan-India.

Last edited by Harjot37 : 23rd May 2021 at 10:46.
Harjot37 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to find skeptisism in what is essentially a new rating system for tyres where none existed. Outside of forums like ours, there is no source of published information for a layman tyre buyer (except for sales person claims at the store who usually sums it up as 'superr' to the unsuspecting buyer)

There is a shocking level of indifference (even ignorance) in what is central to safety and driving experience, which comes from lack of credible published data around tyres. When I shopped around for silent running replacement tyres for my Polo, I was confronted with the relevance and existence of such a parameter for tyres

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 23rd May 2021 at 12:02.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:48   #30
BHPian

I believe international brands such as Pirelli, Yokohama and Michelin give us most of the tyre details and it's suitable applications. They made it available even for their India specific websites. As someone pointed out, GoI can directly implement the EU norms onto Indian tyre makers and focus on road safety and making the roads user friendly.

Since the government is promoting make in India so much, they can encourage us to buy India made products by reducing GST on tyres from 28% to 12%. Tyres are a critical component of a vehicle and due to a difference in price, people go for unbranded and retreaded tyres due to the price alone.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed