Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2021, 18:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emissio

Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emission-screenshot_20210523175655.jpg

This is a screen shot from one of the many articles on this subject. From what it looks like, the star rating would be based on parameters like rolling resistance, tyre grip and tyre noise etc. These have nothing to do with the condition of the roads. I work in QA and while setting standards for something like this, it would be logical to use a normal road surface to test these parameters which would most likely be what we consider to be a good road surface.

Hence adopting existing norms from somewhere would be the easiest to do. This would ensure that all pre tested and approved tyres from other countries can be used as is without the need for retesting. Retesting would add costs to the product and also add to the hassle of launching in a market where policy makers think tax payer money is like VC / startup money where it's okay to try big and fail big.

Hope this doesn't limit the options we have again. If they are going to enforce acceptable limits then the last ISI mark on tyre requirement was total BS and them admitting it didn't work.

If this is meant to be a purely a visual indicator to the Indian consumer then I would be okay with that. Then they should allow manufacturers to potentially sell a tyre with zero to maximum grip (both of which can theoretically pass the test and earn an ISI mark, by the way) and let the buyer decide what they want.

That way we can decide if we want more grip, more fuel efficiency, less noise or all of the above.
Old 24th May 2021, 11:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government proposes new norms for Tyres | Rolling resistance, wet grip and rolling sound emissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Assuming that your car is a 4 year old Polo with 40K kms run, it's market value would be around 4.5-5 Lakhs. So 4 tyres costing 34k would be about 8% of the value.

The next time around, you would be spending 34K assuming no inflation for a 2.5L worth car.

In the course of your 4 years of use, I'm sure many parts would have been replaced, I'm also sure that none of them would have worked out to 34K. (Except probably insurance premiums. )
Wrong assumption. Mine is a Jan 2020 car, so the cost of the tyres were not even 5% without even taking the exchange value of old tyres into consideration. And this is for a top-of-the-line tyre available in this size.

I assume you don't hold on to your cars for long and have not had to replace expensive parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCenter View Post
Attachment 2159825

This is a screen shot from one of the many articles on this subject. From what it looks like, the star rating would be based on parameters like rolling resistance, tyre grip and tyre noise etc. These have nothing to do with the condition of the roads. I work in QA ...

If they are going to enforce acceptable limits then the last ISI mark on tyre requirement was total BS and them admitting it didn't work.
Just because the article(s) don't talk about the test conditions, it doesn't mean that the norms won't. We will have to wait and see. And, the new norms don't always mean the older ones are BS. There is always scope for improvement and adapting to changes based on what is relevant for the future.

OT: Why do you QA guys always have to read between the lines and assume stuff? I was having a debate on the same topic with another friend of mine, who is also a QA. But then again, I seem to always have difference in opinion with the QA fellows, both in and outside work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCenter View Post
If this is meant to be a purely a visual indicator to the Indian consumer then I would be okay with that. Then they should allow manufacturers to potentially sell a tyre with zero to maximum grip (both of which can theoretically pass the test and earn an ISI mark, by the way) and let the buyer decide what they want.

That way we can decide if we want more grip, more fuel efficiency, less noise or all of the above.
There should be some regulation on what can be sold. Most people outside of this forum would not even bother with the indication and will go by what the salesperson tells or whatever is cheaper. Just look at how people choose helmets as an example.

Last edited by Jaguar : 24th May 2021 at 11:53.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
Having worked with Govt of Dubai who used to do a lot of copy paste jobs on bringing standards from Europe, US, India, et al which almost always fell short of requirements of the middle east. I can safely say having first hand knowledge of the matter that it doesn't always work well for a large country esp like ours to just copy paste standards from places that are nothing like our own. .
Logical and fully agree to your suggestions. I can draw a ready parallel to the Euro 6 fuel standards and its customization to Bharat Stage 6 fuels. With greater knowhow, testing capability and R&D strength in India, decision making authorities from Govt. draw more confidence on not piggy backing entirely on standards established elsewhere.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 21:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Mine is a Jan 2020 car, so the cost of the tyres were not even 5% without even taking the exchange value of old tyres into consideration. And this is for a top-of-the-line tyre available in this size.
I assume you don't hold on to your cars for long and have not had to replace expensive parts.
Whoa, your tyres wore out in 1 year, that's some serious mileage.

And no I have 3 cars in the family - 2004 Alto run about 3 Lakh kms, 2008 Honda City run 1,50,000, and 2015 Honda Mobilio run 1,10,000. Frankly tyres have been my biggest expense. Barring accidents, for which I've always had insurance cover.

Please advise any single wear and tear part costing 30K INR.
Old 24th May 2021, 22:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa, your tyres wore out in 1 year, that's some serious mileage.

Please advise any single wear and tear part costing 30K INR.
FYI there are people who upgrade tyres right out of the showroom.

The cost of the full suspension of my 2007 Ford Ikon came to a little over 20K. This was in 2011 or 2012. Good tyres for the car used to cost < 5K at that point in time.
Old 26th May 2021, 21:31   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming that your car is a 4 year old Polo with 40K kms run, it's market value would be around 4.5-5 Lakhs. So 4 tyres costing 34k would be about 8% of the value.

The next time around, you would be spending 34K assuming no inflation for a 2.5L worth car.
Though it is off topic, when we discuss about major expenses on a relatively older vehicle, we also have to factor the alternatives. My SX4 is 12 years old, and needs a new set of tyres shortly. The value of the car might be hardly 3L now. The tyres would cost around 40k for a good one and the cheapest would be around 20k. Now, I can choose between the two, or if I still consider that 20k to be a huge expense, the only alternative would be to sell the car and buy a new one. For this I would have to invest around 15L for a new C Segment sedan. Hence, taking this into factor, I still feel that investing 40k is a good idea since the car still has a lot of usable life.

Same with part replacements. I wouldnt mind paying around 30k for a complete suspension overhaul if thats the only thing pending to keep the car running for 3-4 more years. If my car is completely ruined and needs 3L worth of repairs, then I would factor in 3L resale and 3L repair cost and that would come closer to replacing the car itself. Not other wise unless I have an itch to upgrade
Old 27th May 2021, 08:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Though it is off topic, when we discuss about major expenses on a relatively older vehicle,
Completely agree with you. This post was in a response to a previous post of mine. I asserted that tyres are the most expensive replacement part during a car's life. This was my experience of 5 cars over 8 L kms over 20 years. But I agree that this may not be true for all.

And at 12 years, you're probably on your 4th set of tyres, maybe brakes, but still in your first engine, gearbox, maybe second set of clutch and suspension. I have a similar age Honda city.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 18:11   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The Government of India is to create a Rs 200-300 crore plan for scrap tyres according to this news report quoting Mr R. Mukhopadhyaya, Director of R&D of JK Tyres.

JK and other tyre manufacturers are to comply with the upcoming AIS-142 norms by individual testing of their tyre products as enumerated by the ARAI.

Another information is that tyre companies use NATRAX for tyre testing and do not have their individual test tracks to do so:-

Quote:

Tyre companies do not have a test track as it requires huge investment. So, whenever we need our tyres to go through testing, NATRAX provides the test track. (The National Automotive Test tracks (NATRAX) is one of the state-of-the-art automotive testing and certification centre under the National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project ( NATRiP), a flagship project of the Ministry of Heavy Industries.)
The link:-

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-tyre/86089299

The Road Transport Ministry has now coined the term, "end of life" tyres. We already had, "end of life" motor vehicles. Wonder when we will get to see such a term, "end of life" politicians."

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th September 2021 at 18:14.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks