Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I have seen similar products :

Motul Tyre Repair : https://amzn.to/3gSxNsx - generally costs below 500 : many bikers have use this
Let me update you basis the Amazon link you shared - the original price is 99,99,999 INR and now at amazing price of 729 INR only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Their effectiveness is largely dependent on the type of puncture.
I used it on the tyres of my Royal Enfield Bullet as most of my friends used it and recommended it, especially as a preparation for long distance cross country driving.
What about tubeless vs tube based tires? While the ad videos more or less refer to tubeless tires, I'm assuming your friends usage is on tube-based RE bike tires, right?
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont want to take a risk with these gel stuff. I had got a Gulf can long back - still sitting with me. Was not comfortable with possible un-even deposit of the solution around the tyre. The other points mentioned in the prev posts are more details that I had checked up for.

I would rather have a small length of steel pipe to increase the fulcrum length of the wheel spanner - to make removing the wheel nuts easier. I do have one such piece of pipe.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 10:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
This has been discussed on Tbhp as well.
I have personally not used any as I have sensors in my tyre and these will damage the sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Dont want to take a risk with these gel stuff. I had got a Gulf can long back - still sitting with me.
I would rather have a small length of steel pipe to increase the fulcrum length of the wheel spanner - to make removing the wheel nuts easier. I do have one such piece of pipe.
I think there are some fundamental differences in the few experience shared previously by BHPians and the intended use of this products. I am in no way affiliated to this product or its sales. Just trying to gauge its effectiveness against purchase. Let me list down what I think:

- This product contents are listed as dimineralised water, latex, ethylene glycol, anti-corrosive agent and propane-butane propellant. So maybe unlike Slime and some other products mentioned previously, it doesn't leave as much of a mess for the actual repair? Seems to be an aerosol based foam canned at high pressure which would re-seal and re-inflate the tyre as the vehicle moves due to mechanical and thermal properties of this mix.

- Michelin explicitly says it won't harm the TPMS. Also as a made-for-car-tyre product coming from a highly respected tyre brand like Michelin, I am inclined to believe that this is not going to cause any permanent harm/damage to the tyres.

- Yes, the balancing should be off considering that the mix will have some inherent weight but if you look at the instructions, it advises you to insert it with the valve in a particular position and drive in a particular manner for letting the mix spread evenly.

- Unlike some of the previous products experienced before on the forum, this product is not marketed to be a long-term fix or a puncture preventive at all. It clearly says max. permissible driving speed is 80 KM/H and advises users drive to the nearest tyre repair station.

- I wouldn't substitute my spare wheel or rubber strip tyre repair kit for this, but would rather supplement them for specific situations. For e.g. if I am on a long-trip through highways or remote rural roads, where I would be uncomfortable changing or repairing the tyre by myself, I'd deploy this. Within my residential limit, I'd call RSA. If I had the time and I was away from the petrol pump or RSA but in a comfortable position, I'd try to repair the tyre or change into the spare. If I'm on busy roads and I notice a small but steady drop in my TPMS reading, I'd go to the nearest petrol pump.

Last edited by iamitp : 24th June 2021 at 10:19.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 11:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Some key points mentioned in the product image that are worth noting:

- This is designed for passenger cars with wheel sizes upto 245/R18. Gives me more confidence than the other sprays mentioned which seem to be targeted at bikes.
Wouldn't this work at all for sizes bigger? Say 265/R19?

Since the other products were for bikes but yet worked on cars, this one should probably do the job in emergency for larger sizes I guess?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 13:32   #20
BHPian

I've never used such a product, however, based on all the feedback above, it's really just to help you get to the nearest repair shop... and for that I think a tyre inflator is probably more useful.

At least for tubeless tyres and small punctures (the kind where this product will be useful), just reinflating the tyre periodically till you get to a repair shop works very well. In my experience, i've managed to get to a repair shop with just one re-inflation. The reinflation also helped keep the tyre from further damage.

There may be some punctures where air pressure cannot be maintained at all, in that case i'd rather switch to a spare.
chaotic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 14:28   #21
BHPian

This should be an absolute last resort when dealing with flats.

1. Most of the times you realise you have a flat, is when the tyre is nearly completely deflated. using this goo wouldn't refill the tyre with air and you'd drive around causing the rubber and/or rim to be permanently ruined. Not to mention the potential to cause an accident due to improper grip and control.
2. Basic vehicular DIY is essential if you choose to own and drive one on the road. Swapping a flat for a stepney is at the top of the list.
3. On a side note, it is good practise to keep an eye on the deterioration of the rubber as older and cracked rubber is more prone to easier puncturing. Practise wheel rotation and air top-ups as prescribed.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 19:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Wouldn't this work at all for sizes bigger? Say 265/R19?
It could but might be less effective as there is more volume to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
I've never used such a product, however, based on all the feedback above, it's really just to help you get to the nearest repair shop... and for that I think a tyre inflator is probably more useful.
That's an interesting tip. Might be a viable alternative considering its a one-time investment and I can chuck one in my boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
1. Most of the times you realise you have a flat, is when the tyre is nearly completely deflated. using this goo wouldn't refill the tyre with air and you'd drive around causing the rubber and/or rim to be permanently ruined. Not to mention the potential to cause an accident due to improper grip and control.
With TPMS becoming pretty common, many (including me) notice a leakage the moment tyre pressure drops. Also why would the rubber or rim be ruined when Michelin is explicitly saying it won't damage them? While tyre balance may go off if the product doesn't get distributed as intended, would it really be that bad to cause loss of grip and control so as to cause an accident?
Old 24th June 2021, 20:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Michelin explicitly says it won't harm the TPMS.
Can you share some more details on this. I could not find any such claims from Michelin.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 21:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Can you share some more details on this. I could not find any such claims from Michelin.
Check out the text on the can in the product image on Amazon. Clearly says so.

Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!-screenshot_20210624214018.jpg

Last edited by iamitp : 24th June 2021 at 21:41.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 21:51   #25
BANNED

Fix-a-flat cans have been around for a while now.

They are to be used in situations where changing to a spare is not possible or access to compressed air not available. Usually a boon for women drivers or middle of nowhere situations.

Makes a mess, but nothing good communication with the tyre guy and a good wash can't fix.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 22:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

I basically felt that the limit of 50 miles / 80 kms to be very restrictive, so this can only be thought of as a help to get out of a very bad situation in a pinch. It would be good, if it could have lasted at least 300-400 kms, you should atleast be able to make it home. You may not be able to find a puncture repair of the permanent kind within 80kms in the middle of the night.

Name:  Screenshot 20210624 215513.png
Views: 1204
Size:  226.1 KB

PS: I have some bacon strips that I keep in the boot.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 22:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check out the text on the can in the product image on Amazon. Clearly says so.
This also says that the product is not suitable for large gashes or bursts. Basically this works for small punctures.

But then, why not simply use an air compressor to fill the air? One can easily carry a portable air compressor in the car that plugs into a the cigarette lighter socket. I believe most of us carry this (I have been carrying one for last 15 years). In fact, Michelin makes some excellent portable compressors.

In a tubeless tyre, for minor punctures (exactly the kind the can you mentioned will fix), one can simply fill the air and drive on for long. Sometimes I have driven on for days and several 100km on a minor puncture, by simply filling the air. That is a very clean and simple solution. It creates no mess, no damage to tyre, no damage to TPMS and does not mess up the wheel balancing too.

What does the can offer over and above just filling the air and driving on, for minor punctures?

I understand that if there is a major leak ("gash" as they call it on that can), then neither the can nor just filling the air will work. But at least for minor punctures, it seems to me that just filling the air is a simpler solution.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 24th June 2021 at 22:44.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 23:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Pure snake oil; Very rarely do you get a puncture with a hole small enough that can be taken car of using this product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I suggest to make sure you know how to change a tyre.
Agreed. I wonder why is it not part of driver training?

Also, with most mass-market Indian cars, you can drive off with a wheel that is not a stupid donut/spacesaver. (Thank god!)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th June 2021 at 23:09.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 00:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Pure snake oil; Very rarely do you get a puncture with a hole small enough that can be taken car of using this product.
I used to carry a can with me on my motorcycle. I punctured on the Slovenian/Croatian border one night. I managed to empty the can into the tyre and inflate it but it deflated after about 500 meters.

It was useless.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 09:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
With TPMS becoming pretty common, many (including me) notice a leakage the moment tyre pressure drops. Also why would the rubber or rim be ruined when Michelin is explicitly saying it won't damage them? While tyre balance may go off if the product doesn't get distributed as intended, would it really be that bad to cause loss of grip and control so as to cause an accident?
What I meant was on deflated wheels, plugging the leak with this compound and then carrying on driving about(on a yet deflated tyre) would damage the rubber due to obvious factors. Same deflated tyre logic for bad grip and hazard potentials.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks