Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2021, 10:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Makes a mess, but nothing good communication with the tyre guy and a good wash can't fix.
Cheers
That is exactly what I am hoping for from this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I basically felt that the limit of 50 miles / 80 kms to be very restrictive, so this can only be thought of as a help to get out of a very bad situation in a pinch.
I think you misread the max permissible speed of 80 KM/hour as 80 KM driving limit. There is no driving limit mentioned but some international reviews of this product have mentioned driving on for 1000+ KM without an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
This also says that the product is not suitable for large gashes or bursts. Basically this works for small punctures. But at least for minor punctures, it seems to me that just filling the air is a simpler solution.
Yes neither this can nor a tyre inflator would be any good for a large cut but when it comes to everyday puncture I am wondering whether this can would hold up better due to its sealing capabilities? The label says it contains latex.

The cons of the tyre inflator would be how long would the re-inflation without any sealing last on a punctured tyre?

The pros of an inflator are that its a one-time cost and I can permanently keep one in my boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Pure snake oil; Very rarely do you get a puncture with a hole small enough that can be taken car of using this product. Agreed. I wonder why is it not part of driver training?
And basis what reviews of this product can we conclude that? Are we extrapolating based on a handful of experiences from similar products? Also there is difference between knowing how to change a tyre and finding it convenient to change a tyre. As mentioned by a few BHPians above, I might not be in a convenient position to change a tyre - odd-hours, bad weather, too tired, unsafe environment etc. In such scenarios a faster solution is needed where such cans or maybe a tyre inflator have utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I used to carry a can with me on my motorcycle. I punctured on the Slovenian/Croatian border one night. I managed to empty the can into the tyre and inflate it but it deflated after about 500 meters.

It was useless.
Was it this Michelin can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
What I meant was on deflated wheels, plugging the leak with this compound and then carrying on driving about(on a yet deflated tyre) would damage the rubber due to obvious factors. Same deflated tyre logic for bad grip and hazard potentials.
Are you assuming that this product:
a) Doesn't fully inflate the tyre its sprayed into?
b) It re-inflates the tyre and damages the rubber, in contradiction with what Michelin claims?

Last edited by iamitp : 25th June 2021 at 10:54.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Was it this Michelin can?
No. It was the "best" product I bought. It was from ESSO. All the oil companies had their own products those days. There were several makes and they all had the "best" products. I figure they were all the same magic liquid inside.

The can would never fully inflate the tyre.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:03   #33
BHPian

May be a lame question.

Can it be used more than once or in other words does it gets exhausted in single use.
manchandap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The cons of the tyre inflator would be how long would the re-inflation without any sealing last on a punctured tyre?
For minor punctures, it lasts really long. You can easily drive 300km or more with minor punctures just by topping off the air. I have had punctures in my car where just some air refill would last 15 days. Further, I have had punctures in the middle of some road trips and I have happily completed the entire road trip (some 500km) after just refilling the air and keeping an eye on the air pressure (through TPMS). In fact, I do a lot of group drive with friends and invariably someone or the other gets a puncture. All we do is just use the portable compressor and refill the air and move on. This is the whole point of tubeless tyres. Puncture repair is not an urgent need if it is minor puncture.

So for any minor puncture - the kind that this can can fix - just refilling the air is a perfectly viable, and even more long term solution.

The only time tubeless tyres can not be driven with refilling the air is when they have a major cut or major damage. But then, even this can will not help.

Quote:
The pros of an inflator are that its a one-time cost and I can permanently keep one in my boot.
Exactly! In fact, it is a part of my boot kit for last 15-20 years. I assume most people here on this forum always carry an inflator in the boot. That is the best practice. I have a Michelin inflator and that works very well.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 25th June 2021 at 19:22.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 20:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think you misread the max permissible speed of 80 KM/hour as 80 KM driving limit. There is no driving limit mentioned but some international reviews of this product have mentioned driving on for 1000+ KM without an issue.
Nah. The youtube video clearly said to replace the tire within 50 miles.

This product suits a particular set of users and for those, this product is good. It is just that, it is not a product that suits a majority of users.
Old 25th June 2021, 20:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
No. It was the "best" product I bought. It was from ESSO. All the oil companies had their own products those days. There were several makes and they all had the "best" products. I figure they were all the same magic liquid inside.

The can would never fully inflate the tyre.
Can't say how similar or different were those Oil company products from this Michelin can. Wouldn't be fair to judge an apple based on an orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
May be a lame question.

Can it be used more than once or in other words does it gets exhausted in single use.
Probably depends on the state of deflation and size of the tyre you're putting it? No definite idea though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Exactly! In fact, it is a part of my boot kit for last 15-20 years. I assume most people here on this forum always carry an inflator in the boot. That is the best practice. I have a Michelin inflator and that works very well.
The tyre inflator does make for a better alternative to this can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Nah. The Youtube video clearly said to replace the tire within 50 miles.
Nopes that's not what the video says. It says that the Manufacturer Gurantee (for refund) only holds for getting you to a service center within 50 miles when used as per instruction.

Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!-screenshot_20210625204535.jpg
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 22:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And basis what reviews of this product can we conclude that?
My dad has tried it and it failed. I know 5 other people. If it had a great success rate, the puncture repair would have been mandatory in cars by governments.

I know car makers are moving in that direction(different thread), but imagine being able to fill a tire with this rather than changing the tire of your SUV at -20 degree winter in the Midwestern US.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 07:37   #38
BHPian

Looks like a good product but as for me, I would always prefer the good old manual labour.

I have a portable tyre inflator and a fully loaded tubeless puncture kit on my car and bike at all times. Have used it a couple of times as well. The kit I carried, was helpful to many of my rider buddies as well.

Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!-tubeless-puncture-kit.jpg Name:  Portable Tyre Inflator.png
Views: 550
Size:  339.6 KB

At any point in time, given the fact that you will be driving / riding throughout your lifespan, I would rather learn how to use the puncture kit rather than this temporary solution. Not to mention that you still have to look out for a puncture shop to fix your tyre permanently.

So, learn how to fix a puncture and be self-sufficient. Works like a charm every time.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 11:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
My dad has tried it and it failed. I know 5 other people. If it had a great success rate, the puncture repair would have been mandatory in cars by governments.
Fair enough. Glad to finally see an actual user experience for the Michelin Can.

Won't judge any product/technology's success rate by government mandates though. By that logic, other non-Govt. mandated technologies like ESP, More than 2 airbags, traction control, TPMS aren't successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshkmoorthy View Post
Looks like a good product but as for me, I would always prefer the good old manual labour.

I have a portable tyre inflator and a fully loaded tubeless puncture kit on my car and bike at all times. Have used it a couple of times as well. The kit I carried, was helpful to many of my rider buddies as well.

So, learn how to fix a puncture and be self-sufficient. Works like a charm every time.
I carry a rubber strip puncture repair kit too and after this thread, will acquire a tyre inflator as well. Do know how to use the repair kit theoretically but should probably do a test run sometime.

Last edited by iamitp : 26th June 2021 at 11:12.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 13:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Are you assuming that this product:
a) Doesn't fully inflate the tyre its sprayed into?
b) It re-inflates the tyre and damages the rubber, in contradiction with what Michelin claims?
As you can see from the ingredients on the back of the canister, it is latex + water. It basically just plugs the leak from inside and helps salvage whatever psi of air that remains. It won't fill one up with air.
Old 26th June 2021, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
As you can see from the ingredients on the back of the canister, it is latex + water. It basically just plugs the leak from inside and helps salvage whatever psi of air that remains. It won't fill one up with air.
There's also propane butane propellant mentioned in the contents which I assume increased the psi of the tyre. The product video also clearly shows the tyres being reinflated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks