Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 20:56   #1
BHPian

Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!

So today I came across this Michelin Emergency Puncture Repair kit on Amazon India. Shipped locally within a day at Rs. 1407. Promises to be the easiest puncture repair solution - just plug the can into the valve and spray.

Some Googling revealed that these type of kits, called Tyre sealant sprays, are popular in the Western world. A few reviews of this Michelin kit were generally positive on the Amazon UK site while the US seems to prefer a brand called 'Slime'.

Some cons of this type of a repair include temperature sensitivity of the pressurised can, difficulty in cleaning the sealant foam for a proper puncture repair and need to rebalance the tyres.

The major pro is that it is significantly easier to use and faster than the 'rubber strip/mushroom' type repair kits or changing into the spare tyre, if all I need is something to last till the next petrol pump. For someone who has never fixed a spare tyre before, I can imagine myself reaching for this before anything else (apart from RSA).

Sharing an image of the product with the Amazon link.

I couldn't find much info on existing threads apart from a 2016 post on Slime. Michelin claims that their product is superior, and coming from tyre-brand as reputable as Michelin, I am curious!

Please do comment your thoughts and experiences in using this product or similar products.

Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!-image_20210622_203601.png

https://www.amazon.in/MICHELIN-32699-Emergency-Puncture-Repair/dp/B08LQN8DGT/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=michelin+tool&qid=162 4370508&sr=8-8
iamitp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:05   #2
BHPian

re: Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!

Wow, this is the kind of puncture repair method which will be handy for people like me who have never fixed a puncture or changed a tyre. I would be definitely going for this product. If anyone has any first hand experience of using it, please share. I found below video on YouTube.

sahil624 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 23:12   #3
BHPian

re: Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!

I have seen similar products :

Motul Tyre Repair : https://amzn.to/3gSxNsx - generally costs below 500 : many bikers have use this

Recently I purchased a similar one from Mr.DIY store in Thane for some ~300 rupees, link for ref : https://www.mrdiy.com.my/aeropak-tyr...9001988-001001

I carried during a recent bike trip, havn't used.
pcpranav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:34   #4
BHPian

Re: Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!

It's been around since 2000. The first on the scene was Gulf - The brand owned by Paul Swaraj.
Then came Abro with a larger can and increased pressure. Riding groups carry a can for the long rides to Ladakh / Goa.
Rs.1,400 seems steep as Abro costs under Rs.800. It's called Inflate & repair.
Shelf life is around 8 years for this product.
WasavaTyres is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest to make sure you know how to change a tyre.

There are a number of these products on the market. Their effectiveness is largely dependent on the type of puncture. Also, you still need to get the tyre fixed and the tyre shops hate dealing with these products. It is messy and extra work for them. Sometimes it can damage the tyre beyond repair.

The big problem is when you have something sticking in the tyre. If you pull it out, the product is likely not to work. If you leave it in, the puncture and damage might get worse as you drive along with (part) nail or screw sticking out of your tire.

So it works well on a simple clean puncture with nothing left in the puncture. You are still advised to change the tyre asap.

Slime is a slightly different product, or at least has a different product which used to be available in India too. It is a sort of gel type stuff and you put it into the inner tube as a precaution to punctures. The idea being in case of a puncture it would seal automatically.

I used it on the tyres of my Royal Enfield Bullet as most of my friends used it and recommended it, especially as a preparation for long distance cross country driving.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Wow, this is the kind of puncture repair method which will be handy for people like me who have never fixed a puncture or changed a tyre. I would be definitely going for this product.
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I have seen similar products :

Motul Tyre Repair : https://amzn.to/3gSxNsx - generally costs below 500 : many bikers have use this

Recently I purchased a similar one from Mr.DIY store in Thane for some ~300 rupees, link for ref : https://www.mrdiy.com.my/aeropak-tyr...9001988-001001

I carried during a recent bike trip, havn't used.
Yes, does seem popular with bikers. What set Michelin apart though was that their marketing seems to say that this is a good solution for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
It's been around since 2000. The first on the scene was Gulf - The brand owned by Paul Swaraj.
Then came Abro with a larger can and increased pressure. Riding groups carry a can for the long rides to Ladakh / Goa.
Rs.1,400 seems steep as Abro costs under Rs.800. It's called Inflate & repair.
Shelf life is around 8 years for this product.
Thanks for the info. Still looking for a someone's experience in using these on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
There are a number of these products on the market. Their effectiveness is largely dependent on the type of puncture. Also, you still need to get the tyre fixed and the tyre shops hate dealing with these products. It is messy and extra work for them. Sometimes it can damage the tyre beyond repair.

I used it on the tyres of my Royal Enfield Bullet as most of my friends used it and recommended it, especially as a preparation for long distance cross country driving.
Bang on! Those are the major cons that I could find through the international reviews as well. I do (theoretically) know how to change a tyre, but have no practical experience. Hence, the task seems daunting enough for me to consider this 'easy-fix'

How was your experience with it on the Royal Enfield Bullet?

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd June 2021 at 11:48. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:08   #7
BHPian

This is definitely a nice product to have for cars. Especially for road trips.

I have been using Slime for the last 4 years on my bike. Before getting it, I had 2 punctures in 3 years. But not a single puncture since I got Slime. So I think it works.

Last edited by navin : 23rd June 2021 at 14:10. Reason: typos
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
How was your experience with it on the Royal Enfield Bullet?
During almost four years and some 15000 km of riding my Bullet I never ever experienced a puncture!

Mind you, it is not a magic potion, you still need punctures seen too. And as to my earlier comments, if something is sticking out of your true, the slime will initially seal the puncture, but riding on might ruin the tire.

Bikers primarily use it just to get their bikes to a more convenient place to get the tyre fixed I think.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

I had bought the Fiat tyre puncture kit from the local dealer here sometime back. Works as a tyre inflator as well. Haven't had to use the tyre puncture repair option yet and i hope i won't have to
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The tyre shops hate dealing with these products. It is messy and extra work for them.
You bet ! Once i emptied a can into the activa front wheel and rode to a nearby puncture repair shop. When the burly sardar removed the valve, coagulated chemical gushed out making a mess of his workshop floor - what followed was 20 mins of the choicest gaali's in chaste Punjabi.
Mumbling to himself as he went about patching the tube. I feigned complete ignorance - Bhaiyya company se hi aisa aaya hai !!
WasavaTyres is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:08   #11
BHPian

Some key points mentioned in the product image that are worth noting:

- This is designed for passenger cars with wheel sizes upto 245/R18. Gives me more confidence than the other sprays mentioned which seem to be targeted at bikes.

- The can seems to use a gas based sealant. Hence the warning on it being highly flammable. Should be kept away from flame while repairing the tyre. Tyre should be reflated and deflated twice after repair. This might rule out the liquid mess inside the tyre mentioned above.

- Won't mess with TPMS.

- Not recommended for storage above 50 degrees C. Rules out keeping it in the car's boot I guess.
Looks worthwhile for carrying along on a road trip with the luggage.

Michelin puncture repair kit in a can!-screenshot_20210623140753.jpg
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rs 1400 huh?

I got 2 set (each set has 10 strips) of tubeless puncture repair kit during the eBay days (I still have 18 of them & it costed me Rs 149; I carry this along with both the tools to fix the tire both in CBR & SCross. Pretty good quality & best part, they don't have an expiry date, not sure if this is the case with this type of emergency puncture kits. So ideally, I got to spend less than Rs 20 for any single puncture.

One early morning, when riding down from Bangalore, I knew the rear had a puncture & fortunately I was about 10-20 feet towards a puncture shop. I pushed the CBR to the shop & upon seeing my plight, the guy owning the puncture shop rushed towards me, helped me park the bike to show his caring for business; told him, I'm only for the air & started unfastening the tail bag; he showed his experience stating no matter how much I try, the puncture will not sustain the air unless its fixed & he can help. I told him, I'll fix the puncture & he only needs to fill in the air; while he was in disbelief, I took out my tools & started fixing it myself. It was then he came to consciousness of losing a high value business & started his morning rituals of opening the shop; I would say, he was so much engaged in his rituals that, he let me use the air hose & fill in the air all by myself for a small payment of Rs 10.

I should've probably left him in a state of dismay, but the look on his face was priceless
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

Instead of using emergency products, why not use tyre sealant products which are supposed to be used in all four tyres and prevent a puncture. Such products are now available in India as well. They work on the same principle.

On the other hand, such products can damage your internal pressure sensor (TPMS) which are present in high end cars.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 23rd June 2021 at 14:34.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I got 2 set (each set has 10 strips) of tubeless puncture repair kit during the eBay days (I still have 18 of them & it costed me Rs 149; I carry this along with both the tools to fix the tire both in CBR & SCross.
I carry this too. But the rubber strips require as much work as changing into the spare tyre, if not more, and hence, I'd just pay 50 bucks to the petrol pump tyre repair guy than stop in the middle of my journey to lift up the car, pull out the tyre, fix it with proper technique, put the tyre back and lower the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

Instead of using emergency products, why not use tyre sealant products which are supposed to be used in all four tyres and prevent a puncture. Such products are now available in India as well. They work on the same principle.

On the other hand, such products can damage your internal pressure sensor (TPMS) which are present in high end cars.
Please do share links to these preventive sealants. Will check then out.

Last edited by iamitp : 23rd June 2021 at 15:10.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Please do share links to these preventive sealants. Will check then out.
This has been discussed on Tbhp as well.

Tbho links: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...does-work.html (Ultraseal tyre sealant - Does it work?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...yres-life.html (No more punctures for the rest of your tyre's life)

External links:

https://www.puncturesolution.in/

https://www.tyretubeguard.com/best-a...re-tube-guard/

http://www.ashokrajimpex.com/

There are many such products across India, available on Amazon as well. I am not sure which one is the best. I have personally not used any as I have sensors in my tyre and these will damage the sensor.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks