Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 00:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

@kp... i did read all the posts. anyway, may have misunderstood something. no offence.
Old 12th May 2007, 00:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I have driven with 14'' eagle F1's on track .. They were used for about 40k kms by then .. The handling around C1 and C2 was just mind boggling .. That is the day I realized the need for good rubber .. Honestly .. Yes they do wear out faster owing to the softer compound but they are good in terms of grip .. Was so impressed with them that I used them for street also until they turned into slicks ..

Dude, we are talking about normal everyday driving conditions where one would think of stretching every paise. this is not a thread about racing or performance, in which case what you say is right. whatever i read in this forum, the eagle F1s are seriously shortlived & definitely noisy. that is not what an average joe would require.

The JKs are good enough for normal sedate driving, but please make sure you change your tyres within 3-4 years whether you have run them bald or not. These tyres are hard & tend to bulge & burst in time. for better rubber, look towards michelin in the same size.
Old 12th May 2007, 10:58   #18
BHPian

OK. So the normal consensus says I should stick to JK vectras for my everyday ride. But somehow JK's arent convincing enuff. Just look at their website!!! That site looks so el-cheapo that makes you wonder if they can spend money on R&D!

These options look like good replacements; (comments please)
1. Michelin Energy MXV8
2. Bridgestone Potenza GIII

I did search on manu. websites using "all around performance" as criteria.

In a typical T-Bhp member fashion, performance is *needed*. Even if that means touching 180> on the nearby bypass road on some weekend! (If the car can manage that much..hehehe) ...

Also, would that be too much of a dent in pocket having some dealer buy back the Vectras with replacement tyres? I am looking at approx figures for 5 tyres from members who have done this ......
Thanks for helping..all.

Last edited by sids911 : 12th May 2007 at 10:59.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
OK. So the normal consensus says I should stick to JK vectras for my everyday ride. But somehow JK's arent convincing enuff. Just look at their website!!! That site looks so el-cheapo that makes you wonder if they can spend money on R&D!

These options look like good replacements; (comments please)
1. Michelin Energy MXV8
2. Bridgestone Potenza GIII

Also, would that be too much of a dent in pocket having some dealer buy back the Vectras with replacement tyres? I am looking at approx figures for 5 tyres from members who have done this ......
Thanks for helping..all.
I would recommend the Michelin if you are looking primarily for comfort & Potenza if you're looking for outright performance. Both are good all-round tyres. Also have a look at Michelin Pilot Preceda/Yokohama C-Drive/Yokohama AVS Sports.

As for exchange of course the dealer you buy your tyres from will exchange the JK's provided you don't put too much mileage on them. I would estimate a exchange price of around 2500-3000 per tyre for the JK's.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:45   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I did search on manu. websites using "all around performance" as criteria.

In a typical T-Bhp member fashion, performance is *needed*. Even if that means touching 180> on the nearby bypass road on some weekend! (If the car can manage that much..hehehe) ...
If you are planning to do 180+ you need at least H-rated tyres (max. speed 210 kmph). I hope your present JK tyres have at least H rating. If they are T-rated (max. speed 190 kmph) sustained 180+ speeds are not advised.

If you are really adventurous and driving on good roads you can try the 205/55 R16 size tyres. This would be a correct upsize for the Vxi, but I am not sure whether it is advised for the Zxi. A little research would be needed before you can decide.
Old 12th May 2007, 12:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys Indian tyres are not safe above 120kmph. Also what ever the rating is minus 60 from that to get the practical limit of the tyres.
Old 12th May 2007, 13:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would still suggest sticking to stock.

I think some of you are confusing Eagle F1 GSD2 and GSD3 models. No matter, both are crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Guys Indian tyres are not safe above 120kmph. Also what ever the rating is minus 60 from that to get the practical limit of the tyres.
Are you saying this with any concrete evidence, or is it just one of those things?
Old 12th May 2007, 14:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Are you saying this with any concrete evidence, or is it just one of those things?
One of my friend works as a tyre manufacturer for trucks told me no Indian made tyres are safe above 120kmph.
Old 12th May 2007, 14:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes, for trucks. And that's like TURBOSAM telling us that the 1.6 engine is put in the Grande Punto in Europe and it puts out 272+ bhp.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Yes, for trucks. And that's like TURBOSAM telling us that the 1.6 engine is put in the Grande Punto in Europe and it puts out 272+ bhp.
Buddy he manufacturers truck tyres and is in the same industry, its more to do with rubber quality of Indian made tyres which sucks and hence he recommended me Michelins, Bridgestones, Yokohamas.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:57   #26
Team-BHP Support

btw quite a few of the michelins and all the bridegstones except the potenza G-III are made in india using indian rubber.

Really the tyres made here are not that bad for daily use or for highway driving.

MRF make tyres for the rally circuit as well.
Old 12th May 2007, 20:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
MRF make tyres for the rally circuit as well.
wouldn't compare those with the ones they sell in the regular marketplace. light-years apart.

but point taken... there are quite a few decent indian-made tyres out there.
Old 12th May 2007, 20:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Stick with Stock Tyres, they are good but still if you need superior ones try Michilines/bridgestones.

What mclaren1885 and BUSA suggeted are right things!

Ravi.
Old 12th May 2007, 21:05   #29
BHPian

Just go for the potenza G III
Old 13th May 2007, 02:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
btw quite a few of the michelins and all the bridegstones except the potenza G-III are made in india using indian rubber.
Vid - Majority of Michelin's are imported from Thailand. I'm not sure they are manufacturing any passneger car tyre here at all. Will check once again & confirm.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks