Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:51   #1
BHPian

Strange case of a sheared lug nut

I had wheel balancing, rotation and alignment done at a reputed place last week. I was shocked to find that one of the bolts (front right tyre) had sheared off and the lug was completely missing.

I didn't notice this at the tyre center, but found it the next morning when I removed the car cover. I had to leave to on a long trip to Tirunelveli the following morning and I was in a bit of a panic.

Fortunately, I drove to Nandi Toyota which is quite near my residence and I was able to get this fixed. I learnt a lesson that it's necessary to check the work at the workshop itself. Had I not looked, it might have led to drastic consequences. In fact, I asked the people at the tyre center to tighten the lugs with hand tools as I was been a victim of over torqueing a couple of times when I had a flat on the highway.

I had to literally stand on the wheel spanner to get it loose. I suspect that something about the way the lug nut was torqued let to the shearing. I did follow up with the guys at the tyre center, but it was the case of bolting the shed after the horse had fled. Though they didn't say that I was lying, they implied that they had completed the job to the utmost satisfaction of their supervisor. I just wonder if any of my fellow BHPians have faced this sort of issue after balancing and rotation.

I'd like to add too that the trip to Tirunelveli went well. Great roads.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd August 2021 at 14:04. Reason: Added para space for better reading
Bsimhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:32   #2
BHPian

re: Strange case of a sheared lug nut

I had faced the exact same issue of shearing back in March 2020 just days before the nationwide lockdown. I had given my SX4 for the 90k kms service and the chap must have over-tightened the lugs after cleaning the rear drums.

Soon after, the left rear tyre started losing pressure (found later to be a nail) and when I got the tyre guy to check it, he could not remove the lug easily. Just as I was about to tell him to be careful and not break anything, he stood on the wheel spanner and the lug sheared.

I could not replace the part instantly as I had already begun an unavoidable 400km trip. So after consulting the mechanic, I risked going on 4 out of the 5 lugs with careful speeds without crashing on potholes and made the destination without any issues. Upon reaching, I contacted my usual parts guy who arranged them immediately and I got the same replaced promptly.

The guy who replaced the parts told me a few things:
1. Never over-tighten wheel lugs. Keep the wheel locked in air while tightening, and once you feel its fit, there is absolutely no need to apply more force.
2. If you are unable to remove a over-tightened lug, try adding an extender, tube or pipe to the end of the spanner. It helps reducing the effort one has to make while loosening and avoiding the shearing.
3. During wheel rotation at every oil change, check for rust in threads of the lugs. He suggested that instead of replacing them outright, one can apply a paste he showed (something blue, unable to recall). As a jugaad, he suggested one may also apply a few drops of used engine oil (not sure how effective).

Experienced BHPians may comment on the above and suggest more effective ways.
Researcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimhan View Post
I had wheel balancing, rotation and alignment done at a reputed place last week. I was shocked to find that one of the bolts (front right tyre) had sheared off and the lug was completely missing. .
I have had one such instance when the wheel alignment shop guy was swapping the wheels during rotation.

Going by this lone experience which happened right in front of me, I guess that in your case, the process had started when he tightened the lug nut that day, and the shearing process completed in the in-between period.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post

The guy who replaced the parts told me a few things:
1. Never over-tighten wheel lugs. Keep the wheel locked in air while tightening, and once you feel its fit, there is absolutely no need to apply more force.
Agree that we must not over tighten lug nuts, the problem is knowing when to stop , it is usually based on whatever the 14 year old had for breakfast or lunch that day!!

In my vehicles when the ASC removes the wheels to clean the brake discs \ drums, they use a Torque wrench while fitting it back. Set to 110-120nm - the actual value is 105nm for alloys for that model. They over tighten it slightly to stop erring on the side of lose lug nuts.

The standard value depends on vehicle models and wheel type (Steel \ Alloy) can be anything between 80 - 120 nm. It is worth knowing the exact value and insist on getting the wheels tightened at the ASC with a Torque wrench if it was removed elsewhere. I have a habit of checking them regularly while cleaning to see if they are tight, I have once seen them loose after a highway run as someone tightened it using a cross wheel spanner.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The standard value depends on vehicle models and wheel type (Steel \ Alloy) can be anything between 80 - 120 nm.
Agree with you a hundred percent. That is the reason why I bought a good torque wrench to check. I just want to mention that the guy using the pneumatic wrench was using the same setting for all cars. There didn't seem to be any specific setting on the gun. I think the place you went to was a more sophisticated workshop. Regards.
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:53   #6
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I too noticed a total of 3 lug nuts missing from different wheels on our Duster.

I am very sure it is because of the wheel alignment and balancing dudes keeping their impact wrenches cranked all the way up to MAX. Even the service center guys checking the brakes or performing rotation also follow the MAX setting rule as one setting is better to keep track of than many and "MAX is best" mentality.

The Duster also has the lug-bolt design and the heads were sheared off.

However they didn't charge us extra for removal of the remaining portion from the hub. Just got charged price of the replacement lug bolts.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 09:48   #7
BHPian

Re: Strange case of a sheared lug nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I too noticed a total of 3 lug nuts missing from different wheels on our Duster.
Wow, three lug nuts is a lot. Thankfully you were able to notice it and get it fixed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks